Squier Contemporary Jaguar setup measurements

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
mr.samsa
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Squier Contemporary Jaguar setup measurements

Post by mr.samsa » Wed May 18, 2022 1:54 pm

Hey all,

I just got a Squier Contemporary Jaguar HH ST as my first offset and I'm loving it so far, but it was used and I changed to 11s before taking measurements. Does anyone know what the stock relief, action, and pickup height are?

Because it's 12" radius with HH I suspect some of the usual fender Setup doesn't apply.

Bonus question: Is there a cheap "no additional holes" vibrato one could add to this thing?

Thank you,

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Squier Contemporary Jaguar setup measurements

Post by timtam » Wed May 18, 2022 7:50 pm

You can use standard Fender's published setup specs for strats and teles as starting points (the only guitar-specific ones they have IIRC). Or indeed Gibson's ... as it's kind of a 24" scale Gibson-style (12" radius with two HBs). ;) The flatter radius means you may be able to get the action lower, but only if that's what you want. Fender used to have a separate set of setup instructions for "everything except strats and teles", which did mention jazzmasters and jags by name, but was very generic and did not really have anything specific to them in the setup instructions. Indeed it said to lubricate the string-saddle contact points, which for the rocking bridges on most offsets (different to your TOM/AOM bridge) is exactly the opposite of what one should do.

The Duesenberg Les Trem should probably work on it. Search posts here on OSG to see if there are some examples of people adding that to similar guitars.
https://youtu.be/r5WeGT8Jxxc
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.

Wucan
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Wucan » Wed May 18, 2022 8:49 pm

When I got the guitar it was a little bit high I felt and adjusted the guitar to have lower action. I didn't take any measurements though.

mr.samsa
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by mr.samsa » Thu May 19, 2022 5:43 am

Thanks very much for the replies. I've got it set up now with a combo of Fender and Gibson specs, closer to Gibson (.010" relief, 5/64" E and 4/64" action and pickup height). I think it may need a touch more relief as I'm getting a bit of fret jangle on the A.

The Les Trem does indeed look like the best option.

One further question: I'm finding the Jag to be rather noisy. Initially it was partly due to a dimmer light switch, but with higher gain it seems to be noisier than my Epiphone SG upgraded so similar impedance pickups. The noise doesn't seem to change when I touch metal parts, and I check all the switch, jack and pot solder joints, so I don't think it's a grounding problem. Are these jags more prone do being noisy than other guitars.

Thanks,

alfsboy
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by alfsboy » Sun May 29, 2022 3:50 am

I always wind down the string height to touch the frets and then gradually raise it untill it plays as I want .Often that means a fret level but my contemporary HH was fine . ;D

mr.samsa
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by mr.samsa » Mon May 30, 2022 9:52 am

The frets seem find on mine, I think I just pick hard. I'm at .010" relief, 6/64 E and 4/64 E action.

Thanks for the help all.