Impending NGD: Random Reverb Pot Shot Offer Accepted

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
Mechanical Birds
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Impending NGD: Random Reverb Pot Shot Offer Accepted

Post by Mechanical Birds » Wed May 18, 2022 9:35 am

Gavanti wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 4:03 am
Mechanical Birds wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 8:59 pm
Almost did this with a pieced together B&B Jaguar with one of those wack harmonica bridges on it for $2k

You got it, didn’t you
Sorry for the hijack, but that was an odd one. Did you get the story on it? I know the seller eventually said ‘74 body and ‘68 neck when they decided to drop the price to something more reasonable, but the neck blocks looked more like the smoother looking ones Fender used in the 70s. With that serial number and the matching inspection stamps on the body and neck, I wondered whether they just had a lightly modded ‘74 or ‘75.

Really curious to see OP’s grab.
No but that fretboard did look weird, like the blocks were smaller? It was listed in Canadian dollars too! He declined my offer of like $1600 then it was sold within the hour

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Wed May 18, 2022 12:33 pm

seenoevil II wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 8:33 am

Judging by the SN, I think it's a '21. The guy must have gotten a real sweetheart deal on it or else he's just so rich he doesn't give a crap. I'm floored that you paid what you did for yours. Buy, I think I'm reasonably ahead of the curve. If we don't bond, we don't bond. I'll be able to horse trade it into something I would like. For instance, most of the suggestions mentioned above.

I just hope I do like it. I've seen some not-so-great specimens of this model. I'm just glad it's post HJ era this time.

Y'know, Larry. It occurs to me that our collections are getting increasingly similar...
Ah, OK. Well, I predict that you will have an incredible guitar.

So, as you well know, I had two 335s for a minute, one of the last ones made in Memphis and the newer ones made in Nashville after they closed down the Memphis shop that they had been making ES instruments at for decades.

I had thought that maybe the quality might have been better at the Memphis one but I preferred the newer one. Both were very good, though.

Also, I am super into the pickups in mine, which are the Memphis Historic Spec, but I bet the ones you have will be great, also.

Gibson is doing a great job with these things.

Congratulations. Hope we don't end up at the same party wearing the same ES-335 or anything anytime soon.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

seenoevil II
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by seenoevil II » Fri May 20, 2022 5:52 pm

PICS TO COME:

EARLY REPORTS:

Guitar has arrived. Perfectly packed and well traveled. Went from one humid ocean peninsula, to another humid ocean peninsula.

Guitar is beautiful. Plays amazing. Feels great in hands.

T-tops are nice hum buckers. Have never owned bonafide PAF's so I can compare.

Got a really nice deal on this guitar. Guitar is August 2021. I would gladly pay what I paid for this guitar. I would NOT pay what Gibson charges. Because:

For something you buy for $3,300 USD, there's still some shit wrong with it. Like:

Neck pup crooked relative to strings. Easy fix, just gotta either sand the existing mounting ring down -or- replace it with new one.

Binding scraping gets dicing at the binding by nut. So much so. that I'm wondering if the seller was hiding some touched up finish cracks from me. Don't thing so. It's just chundery up there.

The high E zings. Not a buzz. It's not the nut being too low or a lisping fret. It's the bridge saddle. There's a sitar-like zing that sizzles at all frets.

BUT- after fixing all of that. It's pretty great.

Thoughts:

Increasingly impressed by Epiphone. My 2005 MIK Sheraton is pretty-pretty-pretty close. It's well worn in and really nice. It's not apples to apples due to differences in timber and small design differences, but with good pickups it's genuinely 90% of the way there. Also, hard cases. I swear the epiphone hard case (which did NOT come with my Sheraton) is significantly nicer than the Gibson. Just a beefier, more well rounded case. But what's in a case...beside a guitar.

This is the "Sixties" model and it's "Sixties" neck is thicker than every "60's taper" gibson neck I've ever played. It's .88" to .98" as opposed to .85" to .90". It's a subtle difference but definitely noticeable.

I'm still getting to know this guitar. Still doesn't feel "real" to me. Crazy as it sounds, I'm actually looking at another 335 that's my ideal finish. Although, I am digging this red.

pics to come.

This is madness. I'm buying so many friggin guitars. I'm currently shooting out every one out against each other and after everything my favorites are still my modified Guild and my refinished VMJM. But this is what I do on Friday nights. So, it's good.
If it wasn't for disappointment, I wouldn't have any appointments.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Sat May 21, 2022 9:50 am

Glad you are liking it! You should be able to get that pickup where you need it to be without any kind of sanding, though, or replacement of the rings.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.