NGD: Squier CV 60s Jaguar in CFM

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
Pacafeliz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

NGD: Squier CV 60s Jaguar in CFM

Post by Pacafeliz » Sat May 07, 2022 5:53 am

:fp: ...yeah I know...

Anyway, I was going to not get any more Squiers, then I wanted the glitter Jag and in the end I got this charcoal one. Just couldn't resist the headstock and I've always wanted a tuxedo look guitar.

Got it on a German store/site where it is €50 cheaper than at my huge local MusicStore.

Just arrived and here's some 1st impressions.

Overall build quality is very good.
Even though I HATE the narrow tall frets, these do somehow feel more comfortable. The neck is chunkier than I would've expected, but fits my hand well enough to like it.

A little disappointed I was after seeing the over-sanding of the headstock by the nut on the treble side, slightly but noticeable. Dunno if it might have happened after installing the nut or if they fucked up the overtaping it before spraying.
The bone nut itself is well done, but on the bass side they either oversanded again or didn't apply any lacquer at all there?! Minor thingies that don't really matter too much but just shouldn't happen on a limited edition or so.

The action was set ultra high and basically unplayable, but once I lowered the bridge it was playable without buzz or dead notes. Huh?
The fretboard looks and feels nice, is dry as always with Squier but less than all the others and especially less "grainy"/scratchy when bending. Fret ends and all is tops.
The last SQ Jag (Andertons purple 70s one) was like sandpaper!!! (sold that one quick as I just instantly hated everything about it)

One nice surprise is that I believe the vibrato arm seems to be wider/thicker. No squealing or flying around. Stays in tune well and is quite smooth (unlike the Andertons one). Tuners seem solid.

The pickups sound really damn good! Neck is definitely louder and ballsy-er and is also more microphonic. Will have to try it out really loud at rehearsal tomorrow.
Bridge pickup is nice and snappy, overall so far I'm happy but I might put other pups in it along the way. We'll see.

The guard is a tick too green for me, but I have an AliExpress creme/parchment one ready. Or might even try out a black one for the "Cobain Strat" looks...?

All in all it seems like a good, nice and solid guitar for €450.
Will now oil and scrub the fretboard and put some .11-50 Boomers on it, see what happens.

Stay tuned!

i love delay SO much ...that i procrastinate all the time.

supersonicjazzmaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: NGD: Squier CV 60s Jaguar in CFM

Post by supersonicjazzmaster » Sat May 07, 2022 6:37 am

Ah, wonderful! Congratulations!
Yes!
I suggest you to get even the silver one, you will love it. :)
I thought about getting another one of them.
For this price I forgive little (really little) issues.
Setup surely depends on who has it in his hands and had the right knowledge...
I am simply impressed by the sound I have to say! If those Squiers where sold in early 2000´s, this could´ve been my main guitar maybe. Now I have dozens of main guitars. :D
It starts... when it begins.
Ralf Kilauea

Pacafeliz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Pacafeliz » Sat May 07, 2022 7:10 am

Done for now :-*

i love delay SO much ...that i procrastinate all the time.

JPCordingley
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JPCordingley » Sat May 07, 2022 7:39 am

Congratulations.

Also: snap! Got mine 2 weeks ago today!

supersonicjazzmaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by supersonicjazzmaster » Sat May 07, 2022 7:45 am

Yeaah!!! :D
Ralf Kilauea

Surfysonic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Surfysonic » Sat May 07, 2022 8:52 am

Congrats all around! Both the CFM and Silver Sparkle look awesome! I ended up pre-ordering some months back the Squier 40th Anniversary Vintage Edition Jazzmaster Satin Desert Sand w/Gold Anodized Pickguard - can't wait! 8)
The doofus formerly known as Snorre...

space2001odyssey
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by space2001odyssey » Sat May 07, 2022 11:03 am

Congrats and happy NGD!

I actually preorderd both Silver Sparkle and CFM ones - they arrived yesterday. I just returned the Silver Sparkle one today since it had huge scratches in the fretboard. Like they dressed the fret ends but didn't protect the fretboard itself Image - you could probably sand it away but opted for a replacement instead. Interestingly, the same was true for the CFM one but really minimal. The CFM one is overall well made, I just discovered a little dried runny lacquer spot above the nut I hadn't seen before after seeing your post and checking if the sanding was similar on my model. The silver sparkle one had a few inhomogenous spots of the metal flakes but looked stunning overall.
The action/bridge was also suuuper high on both. Fretboard looks nice overall but its super dry (as expected). I also thought that the frets were quite rough (bending strings felt horrible). The neck feels perfect for me, a bit on the thinner side. It'll take a bit of work and a proper setup, haven't had the time to really check the pickups.

Overall a pretty nice guitar but really unplayable out of the box (which is what I expected). I've always wanted a Jaguar, no Fender one did appeal to me/was worth the extra money imo (I did not like the block inlays in the current CV 70s one) - so I am super happy to have two now (well, once the silver sparkle replacement arrives) in amazing colors :-). They'll just need a proper offset setup (full pocket shim - the installed mustang style bridge with deeper slots will also help, so that's cool - fret polishing, some oil on the fretboard, 11 power slinkys + nut filing). I bought a recent JM Mascis (one of the last one's before discontinued) last august and this one didn't have any flaws at all and the setup was perfectly fine out of the box.

JPCordingley
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JPCordingley » Sat May 07, 2022 12:07 pm

space2001odyssey wrote:
Sat May 07, 2022 11:03 am
Congrats and happy NGD!

I actually preorderd both Silver Sparkle and CFM ones - they arrived yesterday. I just returned the Silver Sparkle one today since it had huge scratches in the fretboard. Like they dressed the fret ends but didn't protect the fretboard itself Image - you could probably sand it away but opted for a replacement instead. Interestingly, the same was true for the CFM one but really minimal. The CFM one is overall well made, I just discovered a little dried runny lacquer spot above the nut I hadn't seen before after seeing your post and checking if the sanding was similar on my model. The silver sparkle one had a few inhomogenous spots of the metal flakes but looked stunning overall.
The action/bridge was also suuuper high on both. Fretboard looks nice overall but its super dry (as expected). I also thought that the frets were quite rough (bending strings felt horrible). The neck feels perfect for me, a bit on the thinner side. It'll take a bit of work and a proper setup, haven't had the time to really check the pickups.

Overall a pretty nice guitar but really unplayable out of the box (which is what I expected). I've always wanted a Jaguar, no Fender one did appeal to me/was worth the extra money imo (I did not like the block inlays in the current CV 70s one) - so I am super happy to have two now (well, once the silver sparkle replacement arrives) in amazing colors :-). They'll just need a proper offset setup (full pocket shim - the installed mustang style bridge with deeper slots will also help, so that's cool - fret polishing, some oil on the fretboard, 11 power slinkys + nut filing). I bought a recent JM Mascis (one of the last one's before discontinued) last august and this one didn't have any flaws at all and the setup was perfectly fine out of the box.
Congrats on getting both! Though it sounds like you've got the raw end of the old QC. Mine was almost perfect aside from a slight roughness on the edge of the fretboard around the higher frets - not even noticeable when playing and not due to dryness either. The bridge is actually decent with a setup and some clear nail varnish on the height adjustment screws - probably won't bother upgrading. Hope your replacement is in better shape!

pikmin
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by pikmin » Sat May 07, 2022 2:33 pm

space2001odyssey wrote:
Sat May 07, 2022 11:03 am
Congrats and happy NGD!

It looks I was lucky with my Silver Sparkle . Finish is flawless , fretboard was dry but perfect . The nut was really good .
And it was even well set up with the stock strings . Nice medium action , not too high and perfect intonation .
But I put 11 one hour later and it’s even better now .
And i must say , I also have the impression the trem is better than the old one I had on my VM . Very nice to use and the guitar stays in tune .

space2001odyssey
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by space2001odyssey » Sat May 07, 2022 11:02 pm

Congrats on your new guitars! :-) So there is hope afterall for the replacement :)

space2001odyssey
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by space2001odyssey » Sun May 15, 2022 12:37 pm

space2001odyssey wrote:
Sat May 07, 2022 11:02 pm
Congrats on your new guitars! :-) So there is hope afterall for the replacement :)

That hope was shattered! ;D
More or less the same sanding marks PLUS chipped Fretboard around the inlays! Third time's the charm :wacko:

JPCordingley
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JPCordingley » Sun May 15, 2022 2:03 pm

space2001odyssey wrote:
Sun May 15, 2022 12:37 pm
space2001odyssey wrote:

More or less the same sanding marks PLUS chipped Fretboard around the inlays! Third time's the charm :wacko:
Damn! Fingers crossed for third time. I've seen others with the sparkle complain about the necks QC on the silver sparkle ones in particular - one Instagram dude was complaining about the fretwork making his completely unplayable.. I count myself very lucky with my CFM Jag. There was a miniscule amount of roughness round the edge of the fretboard on the higher frets but not enough the affect playability and certainly not due to dryness. Otherwise the entire fit and finish are near perfect. Hope you finally get the experience you deserve because when you get a decent one of these they're really pretty incredible for the money.

CROSS_guitars
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by CROSS_guitars » Sun May 15, 2022 3:08 pm

When are they going to stop using this junk Laurel fretboard material?
Reminds me of that Simpsons episode where Homer wishes for a turkey sandwhich but the turkey is too dry!
These Squier guitars are perfect in every other way! but there's this one BIG catch to it.

pikmin
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by pikmin » Sun May 15, 2022 4:08 pm

JPCordingley wrote:
Sun May 15, 2022 2:03 pm
space2001odyssey wrote:
Sun May 15, 2022 12:37 pm
space2001odyssey wrote:

Damn! Fingers crossed for third time. I've seen others with the sparkle complain about the necks QC on the silver sparkle ones in particular - one Instagram dude was complaining about the fretwork making his completely unplayable.. I count myself very lucky with my CFM Jag. There was a miniscule amount of roughness round the edge of the fretboard on the higher frets but not enough the affect playability and certainly not due to dryness. Otherwise the entire fit and finish are near perfect. Hope you finally get the experience you deserve because when you get a decent one of these they're really pretty incredible for the money.
It looks I was lucky with my Silver Sparkle . It’s close to perfect .
Finish is flawless , fretboard is good even if it’s Laurel and fretwork was good too . The nut is bone and very well cut and polished . The guitar was even set up .
And it stays in tune incredibly well . It’s the Stock Squier with a vibrato that stays in tune the better in all the Squiers I have ever played ( More that 20 ) .

supersonicjazzmaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by supersonicjazzmaster » Mon May 16, 2022 3:02 am

Oh the damaged inlay is bad, yes... :o
Ralf Kilauea