Rotten Relics

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
jetset
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Relic Finishes

Post by jetset » Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:49 am

+1 on those Stew Mac tech tips emails - even if you're not a luthier, you'll learn a lot of guitar stuff.  And this is totally off-topic, but Tape Op is also free and is a great recording mag.  Go sign up for both if you haven't.
-J
I can't hear the forest for all the falling trees.

Sauerkraut
Expat
Expat

Post by Sauerkraut » Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:52 am

normally I don't like relic finishes, but lately I've been thinking of doing something to make my Squier look a bit less shiny.

kuel
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by kuel » Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:02 am

Sauerkraut wrote: normally I don't like relic finishes, but lately I've been thinking of doing something to make my Squier look a bit less shiny.
Checkout my other thread on PG Forums
http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index ... opic=31708

Sauerkraut
Expat
Expat

Post by Sauerkraut » Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:21 am

kuel wrote:
Sauerkraut wrote: normally I don't like relic finishes, but lately I've been thinking of doing something to make my Squier look a bit less shiny.
Checkout my other thread on PG Forums
http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index ... opic=31708
thanks, I'll give it a go some day.

dain
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by dain » Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:25 am

also if you're looking for a humorous take on this relicing business check this out...

http://www.nymphusa.com/tele/way_of_relic.asp

this guy is japanese (i think?) and seems to have a nack for replicating the "female" (otherwise known as logical) take on all this new/old guitar business with his cartoons.  me and my girlfriend have had similar arguments... (you paid how much for a refin that looks like it was done by a 6 year old??!)

not many useful tips, but some pretty funny truisms from an official guitar otaku  ::)

monark
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by monark » Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:58 am

have you all considered making a shirt sleeve out of 2k grit sandpaper? i'm almost kind of a little bit serious about trying that.

I recently did a light "relic" job on my sunburst CIJ jm, which just involved sanding the gloss off the finish with medium, then fine, then superfine, then wet superfine sandpaper, then blasting a few chips and dings out of the poly with a heat gun, also shooting the plastics with tinted clearcoat. I think it came out pretty well; as soon as I can get my hands on a nice camera I'll post some pics. My other CIJ was candy red, that one I just took the finish off entirely and refinned in black reranch nitro - this being my first refin i imagine half the paint will fall off in the first month of playing anyway :)

shiny new anything looks dumb. it's like when you get a new pair of chucks, you gotta roll em around in the dirt for a while and get your friends to step on them so you're not walking around with gleaming feet.

fullerplast
Mods
Mods

Post by fullerplast » Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:10 am

Personally, I like relic finishes! I find it alot of fun and a challenge to do one.... without OVER-doing it.

Here's a thread on a $trat that I built and reliced, with apologies to those who have seen it the other 1000 times I've posted it:

http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/vie ... 3229#p3229
Q. Are we not men?

glimmertwin
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by glimmertwin » Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:39 am

fullerplast wrote: Personally, I like relic finishes! I find it alot of fun and a challenge to do one.... without OVER-doing it.

Here's a thread on a $trat that I built and reliced, with apologies to those who have seen it the other 1000 times I've posted it:

http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/vie ... 3229#p3229
I don't know how I missed that one(actually I think I was in Greece at the time with no computer) but a belated - good job! That looks really fantastic.
"I enjoy the current state of offsetguitars hostility."

kuel
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by kuel » Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:48 pm

Yeha that strat looks great. 'Light' relics are way more tasteful

StevenO
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by StevenO » Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:13 pm

I like Doug's relic strat. You gave it to your son, I believe, if my memory serves me well.

I think one that would top it off in my mind is a cigarette burn at the headstock, I always loved that for some reason, even though I don't smoke.

RumorsOFsurF
Mods
Mods

Post by RumorsOFsurF » Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:41 pm

Doug, that Strat makes me take back much of what I said about relic'ing.  That thing looks sweet.  It's one thing to build your own guitar and make it look vintage from the start.  I just think it's a waste of a new instrument to fuck it up, pardon the expression.
Damn kids, get off my lawn!

berlinbetty
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by berlinbetty » Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:06 am

monark wrote: I recently did a light "relic" job on my sunburst CIJ jm...
  Pics???  :?
One more guitar, then I'll practice!

the older brother
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by the older brother » Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:18 am

In my opinion ready reliced new-bought guitars are quite a stupid thing. When buying a new guitar you do it for having a "player". If you just play it it will become natural "reliced". The best thing is to NOT being to gentle with it: Keep it in smokey enviroments; don't bother polishing it. oil the fretboard, but don't clean it. Leave it out of the case; let the sun shine on it etc etc. I have this OW MIJ Jazzmaster from the mid ninetees wich I kept in our rehearsal room, wicht also served as our underground party place within our friend-sphere. A lot were smoked there, I can tell - wich have resulted in a beautiful aged finish and PU covers/knobs! Also "some" alcohol-containing beverages were enjoyed there, wich led to a lot bumping-into-the-gear actions and put some dings and scratches to the tinted body....

I do not say that you should start smoking and/or drinking ;) Just buy a guitar that you can "afford" - in wich I mean - that you don't break down and die if it get the smallest scratch - eventually it turns out very nicely worn.

...If you want to fasten up the "arm wear" - use a wristwatch or studded leather bracelets when playing! then you get the wear in the "right" place....and add a big Texas style belt buckle as well :)
Someone knows where I can find the nearest woodchipper to throw my pieces of junk into?

heavenstreet
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by heavenstreet » Tue Sep 11, 2007 6:37 pm

jetset wrote: I'm not a fan of faked relic finishes - even the best look fake to me.  Just tour with the guitar for a year with no case - it'll relic pretty quick on it's own.
-J
Not necessarily practical and/or true.

Pacafeliz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Pacafeliz » Tue Sep 11, 2007 6:53 pm

though i like naturally relic'd and beat to death gear, i still prefer an artificially aged guitar over a sparkeling new one.
but it would have to be done WELL. there are SO many "aged" guits i've seen that look like pure Jimmy, way overdone, and looks overdone, flase and poser.
now a nicely done one (like they come off the fender line) would be cool but... i think it's stupid to pay 1K more for a guitar that you could beat into shape in a year or two.

contradictory but makes sense eh?  :D
rock on,

Pat.
i love delay SO much ...that i procrastinate all the time.