Noventa Jazzmaster thoughts?

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
zovosaf
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Noventa Jazzmaster thoughts?

Post by zovosaf » Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:29 pm

So,

I like to write punky garage music like this and this and this and this and this ...(I could do this all day)

For this sound, I'm looking at this Jazzmaster. Figure I'd throw it to you guys who might have played it, I want to add it to my room as a 3 chord jangly garage rock/garage punk machine.

Thoughts? Experiences? Tell me bout 'em.

zovosaf
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: Noventa Jazzmaster thoughts?

Post by zovosaf » Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:43 am

Also trying to figure out if the same 11 gauge string thing applies to a Jazzmaster with this bridge type.

gibs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by gibs » Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:10 am

If your looking for p90 growl, and not the surf sound, sure. Despite be oversized single coils, p90s and jazzmaster pickups are completely different in construction and tone. You’d be getting more of a green day type sound with those p90s.

zovosaf
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by zovosaf » Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:11 pm

gibs wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:10 am
If your looking for p90 growl, and not the surf sound, sure. Despite be oversized single coils, p90s and jazzmaster pickups are completely different in construction and tone. You’d be getting more of a green day type sound with those p90s.
So would you say this isn't the pickup type for me if I was going for the sound in my examples?

gibs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by gibs » Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:15 pm

If you want it to sound like an actual original jazzmaster no. But if you want something that doesn’t sound like a strat or a humbucker guitar, p90s are a good change of pace. Think a strat with fatter sound, and mids that have more of an aggressive edge to them than bell-like a la strat.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:24 pm

zovosaf wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:11 pm

So would you say this isn't the pickup type for me if I was going for the sound in my examples?
I would say that it was, except I really doubt you are going to get any "jangle" from those P-90s, which are probably wound so hot that all they will do is thick, compressed crunch.

I could be wrong.

But yeah, if you want the P-90 sound but in a Jazzmaster type format, this is that.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

zovosaf
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by zovosaf » Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:16 pm

Larry Mal wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:24 pm
zovosaf wrote:

I would say that it was, except I really doubt you are going to get any "jangle" from those P-90s, which are probably wound so hot that all they will do is thick, compressed crunch.

I could be wrong.

But yeah, if you want the P-90 sound but in a Jazzmaster type format, this is that.
Maybe that inbetween is what I need, my les paul with humbuckers just sounds really compressed and super warm. Not that it's a bad sound, but just not inspiring me. It doesn't give me that loose sound I want.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:47 pm

zovosaf wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:16 pm
Larry Mal wrote:
zovosaf wrote:

I could be wrong.

Maybe that inbetween is what I need, my les paul with humbuckers just sounds really compressed and super warm. Not that it's a bad sound, but just not inspiring me. It doesn't give me that loose sound I want.
You know, I would recommend that you get your hands on one of these, or make sure you have a good return policy or watch a lot of demos or something.

A good P-90s can really do it all, clarity, power, throb, you name it. They respond very well to pick attack which gives great dynamics.

However, there are a lot of P-90s that don't do any of that, and honestly, they sound a lot like lame PAF type humbuckers just with a lot of noise. Compressed, thick, dark.

I am skeptical as to what these might be. I have no idea. But you should try to find out, I'd say.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:16 pm

Yeah, what Larry said.

I've owned Fenders with P90s before and found them really lackluster.

Then, a while ago, Maggie traded me her SG Classic with Lollar P90s in it, and I'll be damned if its not one of the best-sounding guitars I've ever had.

So, I have no idea whether the Noventa has the same boring, overwound P90s as the Fenders I've owned, or if it taps into some of the magic I finally heard in my Lollars.

The thing is, pickups can be replaced, and it's not hard to put P90s or P90-style pickups into a Jazzmaster, so my inclination would be to just find a Jazzmaster I like, and then put whatever pickups that you want into it.

That way, you have a choice of every price point/spec/appearance of Jazzmaster out there. That is, unless you're dying for the middle pickup this one is already routed for.

Personally, I find middle pickups to just physically interfere with my playing in a way that makes them relatively undesirable in any of my guitars. Especially a big, bulky pickup like a P90. You can lower them a ton to help with that, but then you're sacrificing the way they sound, so it's not a perfect solution.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

zovosaf
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by zovosaf » Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:26 pm

Larry Mal wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:47 pm
zovosaf wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:16 pm
Larry Mal wrote:

I could be wrong.

You know, I would recommend that you get your hands on one of these, or make sure you have a good return policy or watch a lot of demos or something.

A good P-90s can really do it all, clarity, power, throb, you name it. They respond very well to pick attack which gives great dynamics.

However, there are a lot of P-90s that don't do any of that, and honestly, they sound a lot like lame PAF type humbuckers just with a lot of noise. Compressed, thick, dark.

I am skeptical as to what these might be. I have no idea. But you should try to find out, I'd say.
I did consider a J Mascis jazzmaster too. I heard those pickups might work for me as well.

I I could be not as sure of what I wanted as I thought, but the demoes for the Noventa that I watched sounded pretty close to my examples in my head. Like this one at 4:49.

zovosaf
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by zovosaf » Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:29 pm

mbene085 wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:16 pm
Yeah, what Larry said.

I've owned Fenders with P90s before and found them really lackluster.

Then, a while ago, Maggie traded me her SG Classic with Lollar P90s in it, and I'll be damned if its not one of the best-sounding guitars I've ever had.

So, I have no idea whether the Noventa has the same boring, overwound P90s as the Fenders I've owned, or if it taps into some of the magic I finally heard in my Lollars.

The thing is, pickups can be replaced, and it's not hard to put P90s or P90-style pickups into a Jazzmaster, so my inclination would be to just find a Jazzmaster I like, and then put whatever pickups that you want into it.

That way, you have a choice of every price point/spec/appearance of Jazzmaster out there. That is, unless you're dying for the middle pickup this one is already routed for.

Personally, I find middle pickups to just physically interfere with my playing in a way that makes them relatively undesirable in any of my guitars. Especially a big, bulky pickup like a P90. You can lower them a ton to help with that, but then you're sacrificing the way they sound, so it's not a perfect solution.
I mean yeah if you guys mean specifically the sound of Fender P90s, I can always throw some other P90s in it. I also justy really like the look of it, something about it reminds me of old pawn shop guitars with all the weird pickups. (Greco, Teisco, Harmony, Burns, Hagstrom etc.)

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:32 pm

zovosaf wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:26 pm

I I could be not as sure of what I wanted as I thought, but the demoes for the Noventa that I watched sounded pretty close to my examples in my head. Like this one at 4:49.
I'd say there you have it, then. If that sound works for you, then you know this guitar has it.

Fender doesn't make bad guitars or anything.

zovosaf
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by zovosaf » Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:37 pm

Larry Mal wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:32 pm
zovosaf wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:26 pm

I'd say there you have it, then. If that sound works for you, then you know this guitar has it.

*War flashbacks to threads about people arguing over CBS era guitars*

Lost In Autumn
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Lost In Autumn » Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:01 am

I've played the Noventa when it first came out. The P90's in it here ok, I don't recall them being overly hot or dark, like the pickups in the J Mascis Jazzmaster. If my memory serves me well, I'd say they're a bit better than the P90's that Eastwood uses, but perhaps not as good as those in vintage gibsons and certainly not nearly as sweet as Fralins. The guitar will jangle, but there's not much twang in them. they'll work just fine with fuzz, overdrive and distortion.

zovosaf
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by zovosaf » Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:27 am

Lost In Autumn wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:01 am
I've played the Noventa when it first came out. The P90's in it here ok, I don't recall them being overly hot or dark, like the pickups in the J Mascis Jazzmaster. If my memory serves me well, I'd say they're a bit better than the P90's that Eastwood uses, but perhaps not as good as those in vintage gibsons and certainly not nearly as sweet as Fralins. The guitar will jangle, but there's not much twang in them. they'll work just fine with fuzz, overdrive and distortion.
Could probably fix that with some of the P90 offerings from Tv Jones. I heard they do a good job.