Gear minimalism as a thought process...

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
Jaguar018
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Gear minimalism as a thought process...

Post by Jaguar018 » Wed Apr 27, 2022 5:30 am

superficial wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 2:27 am
For example, Jay Mascis bought a Jazzmaster because he couldn't afford the Strat he actually wanted. Cobain's Jag was (at the time) a ratty old partscaster (parts-guar?). I'm sure there are other examples.
The weird thing that a lot of people do is treat moments like this as the defining ethos of the player when it totally isn't. Mascis, and Tom Verlaine, and whomever else right at the beginning of their careers could only afford this one guitar. Like... nearly all of us were broke clueless teenagers too. They find some level of success and then they buy an assload of cool guitars.

I know there are plenty of players that have achieved some level of success that only have one or two guitars, but for the most part stories like this are the same for all of us: as you get older, more experienced, and avoid the worst pitfalls of life (death, wars, addiction, disease, nasty divorces, etc.) you tend to accumulate more guitars.

I think it just boils down to personality types and this thought process that we're talking about, along with this ever-present 'thing' that so many (not all) of us have about getting all judgy about who is 'worthy' of gear, how much gear, the cost of their gear, and why. I mean, it's an endless discussion, and my opinion has certainly changed about all of it over time.

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:59 pm

Jaguar018 wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 5:30 am
superficial wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 2:27 am
For example, Jay Mascis bought a Jazzmaster because he couldn't afford the Strat he actually wanted. Cobain's Jag was (at the time) a ratty old partscaster (parts-guar?). I'm sure there are other examples.
The weird thing that a lot of people do is treat moments like this as the defining ethos of the player when it totally isn't. Mascis, and Tom Verlaine, and whomever else right at the beginning of their careers could only afford this one guitar. Like... nearly all of us were broke clueless teenagers too. They find some level of success and then they buy an assload of cool guitars.

I know there are plenty of players that have achieved some level of success that only have one or two guitars, but for the most part stories like this are the same for all of us: as you get older, more experienced, and avoid the worst pitfalls of life (death, wars, addiction, disease, nasty divorces, etc.) you tend to accumulate more guitars.

I think it just boils down to personality types and this thought process that we're talking about, along with this ever-present 'thing' that so many (not all) of us have about getting all judgy about who is 'worthy' of gear, how much gear, the cost of their gear, and why. I mean, it's an endless discussion, and my opinion has certainly changed about all of it over time.
Exactly.. There was a time I couldn’t afford any Guitar.. The ultimate in minimalism. Which is why I’m not a huge fan of the so called “thought process”. It’s like an oxymoron.. For one to have attained the status to even think about it in those terms makes me think of the Celebrity Elite who try to endure artificial hardships in an attempt to be like everyone else.. Kind of funny..

I’ve worked hard & now have a nice group of Guitars & Amps which I enjoy… I have no interest in being a minimalist Guitar player..

javier-san
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by javier-san » Thu Apr 28, 2022 8:24 am

Then don't?

I have been enjoying reading about why people try to take the minimalist approach and what justifications they have for it.

I don't believe this thread is about judging who people enjoy owning multiple guitars and amps. It seems that some people are taking this thread as an attack on their own consumption and sort of veering it off course.

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Thu Apr 28, 2022 8:36 am

javier-san wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 8:24 am
Then don't?

I have been enjoying reading about why people try to take the minimalist approach and what justifications they have for it.

I don't believe this thread is about judging who people enjoy owning multiple guitars and amps. It seems that some people are taking this thread as an attack on their own consumption and sort of veering it off course.
Like everyone I have my perspective.. I have the freedom to express it. It seems more like an alternate perspective feels like an attack to those who enjoy minimalism.. Whatever their reasons are..

I have nothing against anyone who wants to sell or give away Guitars.. And have just 1… I don’t get it but that’s ok.. I’m just not one of them..

javier-san
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by javier-san » Thu Apr 28, 2022 9:49 am

Sure, you have a perspective and an opinion and the freedom to express it, but that doesn't me it's always necessary for your voice to be heard.

I think it's more an issue of, is your opinion productive? To make the conversation move forward?
Being of the opinion that "gear minimalism as a thought process" is silly/stupid and "why do it!?" can be interpreted as being defensive.

We all love guitars which should be obvious since we are on this forum, but it gets a little old when a thread gets veered off course.

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Thu Apr 28, 2022 8:24 pm

javier-san wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 9:49 am
Sure, you have a perspective and an opinion and the freedom to express it, but that doesn't me it's always necessary for your voice to be heard.

I think it's more an issue of, is your opinion productive? To make the conversation move forward?
Being of the opinion that "gear minimalism as a thought process" is silly/stupid and "why do it!?" can be interpreted as being defensive.

We all love guitars which should be obvious since we are on this forum, but it gets a little old when a thread gets veered off course.
It can also be taken in the exact opposite context…

So we should fall into line of one persons perception of how things should be?

By stating an alternate opinion that’s steering Threads off course? If we can’t state our individual views there’s no point in having Threads about anything.. It becomes totalitarian & I doubt anyone here is really in favor of that.. Including you, regardless of your implication…

Look I’m not trying to upset anyone.. You want one Guitar, fine have one Guitar. If you want 50 Guitars, fine have 50 Guitars.. Why make a big deal about it?

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Thu Apr 28, 2022 9:43 pm

Well, I think we know your thoughts and opinions now Larsongs. Thanks for your input.
Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

Lost In Autumn
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Lost In Autumn » Fri Apr 29, 2022 12:51 am

I love watching Keith Williams' 5 Watt World documentaries, telling me how I can get the most out of the least amount of gear. Then I go into my spare bedroom studio, pick up one of my 21 guitars, strumming while thinking about which ones I should sell, then go online for the purpose of price matching and end up buying more gear.

HedonismBot
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by HedonismBot » Fri Apr 29, 2022 7:21 am

johnnysomersett wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:58 pm
So, my questions. Those with few guitars, through choice rather than financial reasons, how do you know it's enough? Is it enough? Is it easy? Does anyone else feel this?
For me it’s both, common sense and financial reasons.
I’ll be the first one to admit that I’m a shitty guitarist (I haven’t played in a band for over 10 years and I’m sloppy, I mostly just noodle and record riffs at home for fun). I can’t justify owning more than 3 guitars. The maximum I ever had at the same time was 5. Also, I’m very frugal and can hardly recall ever having bought gear for more than 2/3 of the market price. In the current market I don’t see myself buying again unless I suddenly get rich or something. Anyway, I now own a Mustang, a Jag, a Les Paul (which are the 3 guitars that I wanted the most) and I just scored a ‘69 Fender Bantam Bass Amp. I’m retiring happily!

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Fri Apr 29, 2022 2:56 pm

johnnysomersett wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 9:43 pm
Well, I think we know your thoughts and opinions now Larsongs. Thanks for your input.
LOL… I mean no offense.. Just trying to balance out the over concern…

I hope you’re working through your Anxiety, hoarding, hang ups, upbringing.. It’s just stuff. We all have to deal with it.. If it is affecting your life in a negative way you should get rid of all but 1 or 2..

But, Don’t beat yourself up too much over having Guitars.. IMO if we have Guitars, whatever the number, & make Music we’re blessed.. Hopefully our music is a blessing to others….

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Fri Apr 29, 2022 3:13 pm

Lost In Autumn wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 12:51 am
I love watching Keith Williams' 5 Watt World documentaries, telling me how I can get the most out of the least amount of gear. Then I go into my spare bedroom studio, pick up one of my 21 guitars, strumming while thinking about which ones I should sell, then go online for the purpose of price matching and end up buying more gear.
What's funny is that Keith keeps buying new gear!
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy_tchp » Fri Apr 29, 2022 5:03 pm

For me it's more about having a whole bunch of stuff sitting unused, taking up large amounts of the (now fairly limited) space available in the house.

I mean, shit, I assembled an awesome new amp setup for what looked like a promising band situation about 18 months ago that hasn't even been powered on more than 10 times. I don't think my G&L ASAT has even been out of the case since we moved in here (nearly 4 years ago).

The big hurdle is Tym's Guitars closing down his shop and going online only, as selling on consignment there was the sanest/least hassle method available; I hate dealing with people trying to sell stuff second hand, and had zero success in offloading anything substantial in the classifieds here.
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

Stephen_42
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Stephen_42 » Sat Apr 30, 2022 10:34 am

I've been thinking about this a bit recently.

I've have six electric guitars. I think I'd be happy with just one, and most of them don't get played too often. I like having my collection though - I agree that collecting and playing guitars are linked but separate hobbies.

If I was to keep just one, it would probably be the Jag-stang as that was my dream guitar for ages. But I could make compelling arguments for any of them being the one:
My Jazzmaster was my first good guitar so it has sentimental attachment. My Mustang is probably objectively the best. My Squier Jaguar is my Frankenstein's monster, and I enjoy modifying it. My Starcaster would probably be the most useful if I were to only have one, as I don't really use the vibrato and it's nice to play unplugged. The other one is a cheap home-made kit Les Paul. It is just about playable and has no value to anyone other than me, so there'd be little point in getting rid of it.

But if I was to go for a minimalist approach... I don't really have much other than musical instruments that I like to spend money on as a treat. I think that's the main reason I've gradually acquired more guitars and never sold one. If I received an unexpected load of spending money, the first thing I'd think of spending it on would be a shiny new guitar. Perhaps my attitude will change in future if I have other priorities to spend money on - I expect having a family would be a big reason to spend whatever disposable income I have on things that aren't guitars, and maybe that might lead me to trim the collection one day. But, for now, I enjoy collecting guitars more than, say, going on a similarly priced holiday.

Perhaps inconsistently, I am minimalist with other instruments. I only have one acoustic, I only have one bass, and I only have one mandolin. I don't have any particular urge to collect them: I might get a better acoustic at some point, and the bass replaced a couple of beginner basses that I used to have, but for these instruments I'd look to upgrade rather than add different flavours to a collection if buying something new.

I have no idea why I'm minimalist with non-electric guitar instruments, but not with electric guitars. Is anyone else similar?

JPCordingley
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JPCordingley » Sat Apr 30, 2022 2:46 pm

Stephen_42 wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 10:34 am
Perhaps inconsistently, I am minimalist with other instruments. I only have one acoustic, I only have one bass, and I only have one mandolin. I don't have any particular urge to collect them: I might get a better acoustic at some point, and the bass replaced a couple of beginner basses that I used to have, but for these instruments I'd look to upgrade rather than add different flavours to a collection if buying something new.

I have no idea why I'm minimalist with non-electric guitar instruments, but not with electric guitars. Is anyone else similar?
I'm the same. I have one acoustic which is a £100 Yamaha I got for my 14th birthday over 20 years ago and one bass - another Yamaha I got for my birthday a couple of years later. The acoustic remains my only one because it just has exactly the tone I want from an acoustic, and just feels right. The bass is my only one because I'll be honest I was never much of a bassist and after breaking my wrist a couple of years ago I'll probably never play bass again and it'll be on the market as soon as I've gotten round to fixing the wiring - I've recently offloaded a Bass VI for the same reason. I also have an electric mandolin, which again was relatively inexpensive about 6 years ago - doesn't get a lot of use but it's a useful tool to have when recording for extra texture - it featured on my band's last album and is featuring in the next. I've rarely had the money to buy new guitars as I mentioned in my earlier reply to this thread but I'd definitely want more if I could. I love the variety of different tones that electric guitars offer - the difference in pickups , wiring, hardware etc can make. And I do buy into the notion that guitars are like paintbrushes - some paintings call for different brushes to make different strokes. But unlike paintbrushes they're expensive tools. And actually I find my current collection of two electric guitars a Squier VM Jazzmaster and my new Squier CV Jag actually cover most of the palette of sounds I want to make between them - and yes, I have owned Fenders but these two absolutely compete in terms of playability and are way more versatile. So though I'd love a Tele, a Danelectro, something with humbuckers etc I'm actually not sure they'd get enough use to justify the cost in both money and space. Perhaps an Electric XII could be justified if Squier ever pull their finger out and make one at a price point I can aspire to (£3-400 as opposed to £6-700 or whatever the run of MIM Fender XIIs were priced at a few years ago) because that will give my a radically different palette to work with.

seenoevil II
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by seenoevil II » Tue May 03, 2022 7:17 pm

Okokokok

HARD MODE:

You're house-less. Your survival needs are met, but you don't have anywhere to store any amount of gear. You literally have to bring whatever instrument you choose with you everywhere and it has to do literally everything.
Life isn't giving you the luxurious leeway of "deciding what's enough." You literally sleep somewhere different every night and you're "rig" is now a laptop or mobile device with an interface (or mic).

What do you do? I don't wanna hear a bunch of "well, in that situation I'd be more focused on blah" - Then don't answer. I don't care. This is the parameter.

As I'm thinking about it... Guild OM-120 with a sound hole pickup like the Novak goldfoil or a MacGyver special Firebird pup.

1. It's physically small.
2. It's an acoustic that will work in 95% of applications. The piezo will be easy for acoustic plug in situations and the firebird pup will sound great for virtual amps and real ones at gigs.
3. It's hardwood and polyurethane. Sounds decent from the reviews I've read, and it's not gonna be too sensitive to rapid humidity changes.
4. Not very expensive if it's stolen or breaks. Just buy a new one.

Runner up: Yamaha red label, all solid, small bodied acoustic. Cheaper Chinese version.

Honorable mentions:

La Patrie Concert with passive under bridge transducers. Quebecois (for the cred), all solid, but overbuilt classical will sound good but not be too fragile. Go full red headed stranger. Downside, have to commit to 2" non tapered fingerboard width.

Epiphone Century/ Guild T-100/ The Loar/ similar. Every version of the slim bodied, full hollow, single pup guitar I've met has been a blast to play with a surprising amount of acoustic volume. They're all laminate which grants some durability. And for me, I only ever use the neck pup, so the stock p90 or whatever I install would do fine. Downside, they're physically as large to carry as any full sized acoustic and don't have stellar acoustic performance (maybe with a piezo bridge mod).
If it wasn't for disappointment, I wouldn't have any appointments.