Gear minimalism as a thought process...

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Gear minimalism as a thought process...

Post by JSett » Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:58 pm

Some musings followed by questions...

I have this underlying anxiety about my gear hording. I don't know if it's some hang-on from a frugal upbringing or a weird burning desire to simplify my life or what but, at least once a week, I will be sitting thinking about my 'average' collection - often as I catch myself debating a purchase on eBay/reverb/classifieds - and contemplate the potential to sell almost everything and strip it back to the bare bones.

What do I even need? Is this too gratuitous? Would I be happier with less? Could I do what I need to do with less?

I've consciously reduced my collection from approx 12 electrics down to 5. Something is still telling me it's too many - and I don't know why. I've sold a bunch of unused pedals too (down to just a small home board and a gigging board). As I dig through parts boxes for things I'm forever having to pull out stuff I haven't looked at for years, that I'm clearly holding onto for no reason. Why? For what purpose? 'Stuff' is nice to have but, well, I know it's pointless for the most part.

I am aware I have a hang-up about having a 'back up' for everything - years of playing out and a personality that finds comfort in being prepared have made sure of it - but I know it's probably not that important.

My mum plays guitar (albeit very rarely these days). She's only ever owned the same acoustic from her teens in the 60s. Never wanted another. Deep down I'm kinda jealous of that somehow.

Is the only way to find out to purge it all and try?

So, my questions. Those with few guitars, through choice rather than financial reasons, how do you know it's enough? Is it enough? Is it easy? Does anyone else feel this?

Last edited by JSett on Mon Aug 29, 2022 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

wooderson
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Gear minimalism as a thought process...

Post by wooderson » Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:00 pm

It's the metaphysical dilemma of collecting something that's also a tool - if you collect commemorative plates, you probably don't ever think "I have too many of these, I really just need five plates to commemorate Presidential assassinations." On the other side, if you're a woodworker you probably don't have six table saws that do the exact same job - maybe a couple set up for different tasks.

Because instruments are also tools, if you have some that aren't getting used daily it weighs on you and feels wasteful.

I just try to embrace the luck that I collect things that are also useful instead of junk to dust and look at, even if that use isn't constant. I don't need razor sharp focus, 'one man one machine' stuff, I'm just screwing around and having fun.

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:33 pm

wooderson wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:00 pm
It's the metaphysical dilemma of collecting something that's also a tool - if you collect commemorative plates, you probably don't ever think "I have too many of these, I really just need five plates to commemorate Presidential assassinations." On the other side, if you're a woodworker you probably don't have six table saws that do the exact same job - maybe a couple set up for different tasks.

Because instruments are also tools, if you have some that aren't getting used daily it weighs on you and feels wasteful.

I just try to embrace the luck that I collect things that are also useful instead of junk to dust and look at, even if that use isn't constant. I don't need razor sharp focus, 'one man one machine' stuff, I'm just screwing around and having fun.
I definitely think of them as unused tools. I'm quite a practical person and that seeps into most of my life... I have very little clothing as I'm not that fussed by it, I sold my car as I had little use for one on a daily basis, my tools for work are just enough to cover all bases with one as a spare, etc etc.

I have, through the repeated thoughts, already whittled down what I reckon I could live with as a bare minimum, it's just making the jump and the fear of possible regrets. As far as guitars go, an acoustic and a bass are always going to be something I'll only ever need one of (and now only have one of each). The electrics, well, I could easily shave another two off and have just 3. One I'm not legally allowed to sell (CITES import agreement) and one is kinda sentimental, despite not really getting used at all. Amps I know what I need: 1 small home amp, then one loud combo and one head/cab for playing out.

Like, I bought that Pro Reverb last week. I didn't really want it, I wanted a Vibrolux. But this was available and at the right money. So I bought it for no other reason than superfluousness. Same with my Telecaster. I didn't need one, but got one anyway...and blew £1700 in the process. It's lovely, but I'll probably never use it more than once a week for a few minutes then hang it back up. To me that seems dumb.

sal paradise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sal paradise » Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:36 pm

I always end up selling things I’m not using for exactly the same reason. I’d love to be one of those people who picks a guitar and sticks with it. Instead I love trying new things out & my tastes change all the time. Buying & selling 2nd hand means it’s a pretty cash efficient way to to do it.

The difficult part is that I am plagued by two constant guilty thoughts: I wish I‘d kept all the cool guitars, amps & pedals, and at the same time admonish myself for having any gear sat gathering dust. I’m trying to just enjoy the ability to have stuff & not worry about it
I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion?

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:32 am

wooderson wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:00 pm
It's the metaphysical dilemma of collecting something that's also a tool - if you collect commemorative plates, you probably don't ever think "I have too many of these, I really just need five plates to commemorate Presidential assassinations."
Totally. The way I explain it to people is the playing and the gear hoarding are separate hobbies.

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:34 am

Indeed. I think I'm going to try though and give it a go. I've got plenty of regrets already, what's a few more? I genuinely think I can probably be happy with this:

Jazzmaster
Jaguar
Mustang

VibroChamp
Vibrolux
Bassman

wooderson
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by wooderson » Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:39 am

I will say that every time I've sold something without actively disliking it, I've regretted it (even if the sale was necessary for financial reasons). I'm never going to be able to get a '65 Mustang for $600 again or the $200 Harmony Rocket that sounded amazing but needed a refret.

JamesSGBrown
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JamesSGBrown » Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:11 am

All depends what you use them for.

A lot of these forums are not actively populated by gigging/recording musicians. Not trying to be on a high horse, but for me personally as I play in multiple bands I do literally have a use for everything I have. Now, there's some crossover ofc, and in a pinch I could do with less, but I see my current collection (10) as all having their valid place, and I know exactly where I'll be using them when we go into the studio next month.

However, in 2020 when we'd already recorded an album and the pandemic kicked in, I sold off everything bar 2 guitars (goldtop LP and Marr Jag). For me own enjoyment/writing there is no need for any more than these 2. Hell, I could record an entire album with them and an acoustic (and a bass obv), BUT it wouldn't sound as good as if I had all the tools at my disposal that I do now. So that's how I'm currently justifying them.

Case in point- our last album we recorded in 2 days. We could only do it that quick because I'd extensively demoed everything and rather than fucking around in the studio I knew exactly what gear was being used where (ie this song is better with LP & Jag, this one with Tele & Dano etc). I even made a fucking spreadsheet for what gear was gonna be used on each song. It saved time and money!

If I was in a scenario wherein I wasn't actively gigging and recording for release (ie just my own enjoyment) there's no way I'd have everything I have. I do also fantasise about having that 'lifer' guitar- which I do, the Marr Jag, but right now I can afford not to so I don't.

I work in a shop, and one of my colleagues is an avid collector (48 and counting). He freely admits they're a) a place to put his money for when he passes) and b) an indulgence that he can now afford being semi-retired/mortgage free. However, I do think it's kinda sad that he has so many beautiful instruments that could a tool for someone somewhere, but instead they sit under the bed. However, they are just chunks of wood.

So yeah, you can be minimalistic if you don't have artistic endeavours that require you not to be, and it can be fluid I guess. Sometimes I think my songwriting was more focused when all I had was the Musicmaster, a borrowed amp, a 4-track and (tbh lots of) pedals, but then that's rose-tinted glasses and second-guessing where I'm at now.

EDIT: and yeah talking of regrets I do regret letting lots of things go. But once I pick up the Marr Jag I do feel like at 'home', and those regrets quickly pass.
Still regret not buying your CAR Jag though :'(

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:23 am

JamesSGBrown wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:11 am
WORDS
For sure. I only play in one band and have, historically, only ever played one guitar in any band I've been in. I usually find a sound and stick with it like a creature of habit. My old JM would still be the one if my hands weren't so damn sore all the time. Shortscales have really saved my playing enjoyment with that respect.
Last edited by JSett on Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

JamesSGBrown
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JamesSGBrown » Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:27 am

johnnysomersett wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:23 am
JamesSGBrown wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:11 am
WALL OF TEXXXTTTTTT
For sure. I only play in one band and have, historically, only ever played one guitar in any band I've been in. I usually find a sound and stick with it like a creature of habit. My old JM would still be the one if my hands weren't so damn sore all the time. Shortscales have really saved my playing enjoyment with that respect.
It seems like you've chopped and changed a lot recently (and I went through around 12 'others' last year so I can't judge! But then I was newly single so...).
But 5- you can still count that on one hand :D
I find that gear buying/selling becomes a hobby in itself, which can be unhealthy, but then there's 2 ways that people tend to approach it- purely for fun (fine) or to 'chase the sound in my head' (not fine). I know I've gone through phases where I've gone a bit mad with stuff to basically distract myself from the fact that I'm not feeling inspired. More often than not a fucking weekend away or something is more inspiring than yet another fucking Les Paul. So I guess it's only a problem if it's holding you back in some way- either financially, or in terms of time spent doing it when you could be actualyl achieving something.

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:38 am

JamesSGBrown wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:27 am

It seems like you've chopped and changed a lot recently (and I went through around 12 'others' last year so I can't judge! But then I was newly single so...).
But 5- you can still count that on one hand :D
I find that gear buying/selling becomes a hobby in itself, which can be unhealthy, but then there's 2 ways that people tend to approach it- purely for fun (fine) or to 'chase the sound in my head' (not fine). I know I've gone through phases where I've gone a bit mad with stuff to basically distract myself from the fact that I'm not feeling inspired. More often than not a fucking weekend away or something is more inspiring than yet another fucking Les Paul. So I guess it's only a problem if it's holding you back in some way- either financially, or in terms of time spent doing it when you could be actualyl achieving something.
The chopping and changing has been a bit of a wild ride, for sure, but there was a purpose.

With my hand issues I was starting to fall out of love with playing. It wasn't until I stumbled back onto shortscales that I realized it was what I needed...and decades of mostly avoiding them came about-turn and the mission to find a couple I could love became intense. Coupled with the boredom and madness of lockdowns it was just amplified.

I'd already purged most of my amps and cleared out half the garage of them and their associated cabs (honestly, there was about 15 cabs in there). Now, having streamlined other parts of my life, I feel the next logical step is to get to a point with these and then close my Reverb account 🤣

JamesSGBrown
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JamesSGBrown » Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:41 am

Sadly for me because I source stock for the shop, closing my Reverb account isn't possible... it's like crack addict dealing from a crack den working there, swear to God :D

hulakatt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hulakatt » Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:12 am

I just had too many guitars I regretted selling, only to buy them back again later. Once I could afford more, I picked up the guitars I loved the most in an attempt to break the cycle but now I have too many! Sadly, the guitars I play the least and would first put up for sale are the most sentimental to me and I'm left with very few that I could just sell off.
Last edited by hulakatt on Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
She/Her

hulakatt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hulakatt » Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:13 am

I also have a few that just seem unsaleable. One or two that need a bunch of work and seriously, who even buys acoustics?
Last edited by hulakatt on Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
She/Her

Iffymiffy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Iffymiffy » Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:01 am

Am currently thinking hard about this, like get down to one electric, an iridium and one gain and one delay/reverb pedal.

I only play for my own pleasure, and am finding that I just got carried away over the years and now would be a great time to strip everything back.
Last edited by Iffymiffy on Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.