Gear minimalism as a thought process...

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
ainm
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Gear minimalism as a thought process...

Post by ainm » Sat Aug 27, 2022 1:38 pm

Following a couple of recent acquisitions, the notion that I'd acquired too many guitars started to gnaw at me. It was time to thin the herd. The decision of what could go was this evening's task.

I've just finished A-B'ing my entire collection straight to amp, and woe - each guitar I own has a different tone! I've three Mustangs and I thought at least one of them could go, but it turns out they're even more different from one another than my other guitars are from them! Almost everywhere on the dials, I'm not keen on the tone of my SS Player Mustang (a recent purchase), but then I found one position that sounds watery on the N and N/B positions like none of my other guitars can. And it's my prettiest guitar - white w/ maple fretboard - it practically screams minimalism, right?

What is minimalism anyway? People tell me my house is minimalist. No more furniture than I need; clean lines; solid, unsaturated colours. I don't keep books or records. It's just guitars - I've got loads of guitars. Is minimalism about the elimination of everything you don't need or the elimination of everything you don't use? I can live without highly-patterned soft furnishings but might use them if I had them. I could survive without my guitars. I may even live a little with only one. But here's the thing - I don't like all that other crap that people fill their houses with. I like musical instruments and all I ask from life is to be fortunate enough to enjoy them in all their varieties.

I guess that's my bottom line.

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Mon Aug 29, 2022 7:47 am

It sounds like “Gear Minimalism as a thought process” is, ultimately, like trying to figure out how to attain one Guitar that does it all.. There is no Guitar that does it all.

That said, there have been some famous Artists who had one or two Guitars that did everything they did…

But, if you play lots of different styles of Music & are shooting for certain Sounds you’ll need at least a few different Guitars. It’s a good idea to have ups for the ones you use most… So now you have an Acoustic Guitar, a Single Coil, Humbucker & maybe Filtertron Pickup Electric Solid Body, an Electric Hollow Body, a 12 String…. That would put me up to at least 6… Then a couple more Back ups for my most used Guitars… Minimum of about 8… Not counting Bass Guitars…

Does that qualify as minimalist? Probably not..

But, if I could only have one Guitar it would be my 1975 Martin D-35… Ultimately the most minimalist, I can take it anywhere, have a great Sound, play & sing.. I don’t even need any Amps or Pedals…… Although it does have Fishman Electronics if I need to plug in…

fuzzjunkie
Expat
Expat

Post by fuzzjunkie » Mon Aug 29, 2022 10:00 am

Larsongs wrote:
Fri Aug 26, 2022 9:16 pm
Why is downsizing a good idea? Why get rid of great Instruments & Amps you like that you worked hard to get? I don’t get the minimalist downsizing as a mindset? Are you all afraid it’s the end? Or just have no interest in having great Gear & playing anymore?
Why: You mention “Great” instruments and gear, but it’s not all great. Sometimes it’s “What I could afford” or “Sounded like a good idea at the time” and the never ending “I thought I needed it.”

Downsizing from 3 “Good enough” instruments to get one “Great” instrument can be a good idea if you feel you no longer have space or time for 3.

Tastes change. You used to have 2 modern Les Pauls and a Telecaster, but downsized to a vintage Telecaster with a PAF style humbucker in the neck.

Times change. No longer playing live? Pick the best and ditch the backups. That’s what I did.

Styles change. I used to have a Tubescreamer clone and a Big Muff clone. I kept them around to play with other people, but no longer play with the people that required me using them. I prefer Tonebenders and Fuzz Face types, so the clones get sold.

When? Sometimes the question isn’t why, but when? When styles, tastes, opportunities or situations change.

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Mon Aug 29, 2022 10:09 am

Having less often forces creativity. Sometimes the way out of a creative rut isn't to buy something new, it's selling the 'crutches' and learning how to wrangle new sounds out of stuff you already have.
Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Mon Aug 29, 2022 12:28 pm

johnnysomersett wrote:
Mon Aug 29, 2022 10:09 am
Having less often forces creativity. Sometimes the way out of a creative rut isn't to buy something new, it's selling the 'crutches' and learning how to wrangle new sounds out of stuff you already have.
I think there’s something to that to a point but even Bands like The Beatles were always pushing the Envelope looking for different Instruments, FX, Sounds, Recording Techniques, experiencing new/old Music, Places, Things, Drugs, Cultures & endless other things to expand their creativity..

Sometimes repeating the same thing over & over can cause you to be uninspired & inhibit creativity.

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Mon Aug 29, 2022 12:31 pm

I don't like The Beatles. Overrated. Next! :D

I think you're missing the point, and that's fine, it's not for everyone. It's a thought process.

wooderson
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by wooderson » Mon Aug 29, 2022 5:07 pm

I sold two guitars in the last few weeks, just listed a third, cruising toward two Jazzmasters, a Danelectro that's too cheap to bother selling and I'm struggling to decide if I want to sell my Jaguar.

Wait that's not very minimalistic...

Telliot
Mods
Mods

Post by Telliot » Mon Aug 29, 2022 5:12 pm

johnnysomersett wrote:
Mon Aug 29, 2022 12:31 pm
:o
The cool thing about fretless is you can hit a note...and then renegotiate.

inkeye
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by inkeye » Mon Aug 29, 2022 6:24 pm

I think minimalism gets misunderstood. You have the Minimalists, Marie Kondo, etc. that do focus on getting rid of items. The Minimalists are slowly moving away from just getting rid of things. They also like to brand it as essentialism. I think that is a better term.

Minimalism can often be defined as owning as little as possible. The problem I see is that there is often a comparison. Musician A has 80 guitars and Musician B has 2 guitars, therefore the minimalist musician is Musician B. At the end of the day, they both own the minimal amount of instruments that inspire them to play.

GAS is nothing to be ashamed of. We want instruments that inspire us to play and/or write music. Sometimes we get stuck playing what we've always played on an instrument that we've owned for a long time. So we buy a new instrument to inspire new ideas. That honeymoon could last a few days, a few weeks, a few years, whatever. Our tastes, needs, and wants change. Some instruments are in for the long haul and some will have a short shelf life.

When I was less active as a musician, fewer instruments were right for me. As my time and interest increased, I wanted to try new things out. So I bought a Hallmark 65 Custom. It is an inspiring instrument with some quarks. So it is fun to navigate this instrument because it is different from what I'm used to.

Maybe you have a Strat to play SRV, Frusciante, or Hendrix. Maybe you own a JM or Jag to play surf, punk, and other alt-rock styles. Maybe you have a Les Paul to play GNR or Zeppelin. Etc. Etc.

The number of instruments you own is essential to you.

Collect as many as you need or sell as many as you want to be able to play the music you want to play. Be inspired and play music with your friends.

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Mon Aug 29, 2022 8:52 pm

wooderson wrote:
Mon Aug 29, 2022 5:07 pm
I sold two guitars in the last few weeks, just listed a third, cruising toward two Jazzmasters, a Danelectro that's too cheap to bother selling and I'm struggling to decide if I want to sell my Jaguar.

Wait that's not very minimalistic...
I'd say that was minimalistic compared to before. Stripping back the unnecessary.
Telliot wrote:
Mon Aug 29, 2022 5:12 pm
johnnysomersett wrote:
Sorry Todd, I know there's a lot of die-hard fans here, but it's actually not that uncommon an opinion over here in the UK - where where it's forced down your ears and eyes from all corners :D I'd rather listen to early Rolling Stones, The Beach Boys, The Zombies, MC5 or The Kinks etc

sal paradise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sal paradise » Mon Aug 29, 2022 10:13 pm

Telliot wrote:
johnnysomersett wrote:
I had to go to bed & just ignore this.
I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion?

sal paradise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sal paradise » Mon Aug 29, 2022 10:17 pm

johnnysomersett wrote:
Mon Aug 29, 2022 8:52 pm
Telliot wrote:
johnnysomersett wrote:
Sorry Todd, I know there's a lot of die-hard fans here, but it's actually not that uncommon an opinion over here in the UK - where where it's forced down your ears and eyes from all corners :D I'd rather listen to early Rolling Stones, The Beach Boys, The Zombies, MC5 or The Kinks etc
It’s not binary… you can listen to them all you know :whistle:

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Mon Aug 29, 2022 10:24 pm

Hahahah. Beatles fans get very annoyed when someone expresses a dislike for them...moreso than any other group in history I've found. Very protective. Especially if you mention Lennon's propensity for hitting women :whistle:

*ducks for cover*

They have a few well-written songs, sure, I just don't like their sound. Sometimes a band should, on paper, be something you love but - for some unknown or intangible reason - can't 'click' with you. AFI was a band like that. I should love AFI (especially the early stuff, which is what I first heard) but for some reason it really grates on me. Dunno why, just does.

sal paradise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sal paradise » Mon Aug 29, 2022 10:30 pm

johnnysomersett wrote:
Mon Aug 29, 2022 10:24 pm
Hahahah. Beatles fans get very annoyed when someone expresses a dislike for them...moreso than any other group in history I've found. Very protective. Especially if you mention Lennon's propensity for hitting women :whistle:

*ducks for cover*

They have a few well-written songs, sure, I just don't like their sound. Sometimes a band should, on paper, be something you love but - for some unknown or intangible reason - can't 'click' with you. AFI was a band like that. I should love AFI (especially the early stuff, which is what I first heard) but for some reason it really grates on me. Dunno why, just does.
Just for reference, AFI might be my favourite band of all time… :D

But that might explain it - the Beatles at their best are super melodic. AFI at their heaviest were/are still really melodic. Same as Thrice. I guess I’m just a sellout, so you’re ok

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Mon Aug 29, 2022 10:34 pm

sal paradise wrote:
Mon Aug 29, 2022 10:30 pm
Just for reference, AFI might be my favourite band of all time… :D

But that might explain it - the Beatles at their best are super melodic. AFI at their heaviest were/are still really melodic. Same as Thrice. I guess I’m just a sellout, so you’re ok
I LOVE super melodic, yet chaotic and fast punk rock (as well as the more viseral stuff) and every single one of my pals don't understand my dislike of AFI. Hell, even I don't understand it!