NGD - Lefty Classic Vibe Jazzmaster

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
SkiffleHanded
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

NGD - Lefty Classic Vibe Jazzmaster

Post by SkiffleHanded » Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:13 am

Just received a Classic Vibe Jazzmaster I bought on impulse. I've been looking for a Jazzmaster for a while and Sweetwater had a good deal on a demo model so I pulled the trigger. It is your typical white with tort pickguard, only color the lefties get but I like it. Fretboard is a little gray but it doesn't bother me and when it needs a string change I'll apply something to darken it a bit. Only played it unplugged for a few minutes but it seems to be set up great (probably got some extra attention being a demo model). It's a pretty loud guitar without an amp so I'm excited to hear it plugged in! I will most likely enjoy it as is for the near future then do the typical upgrades over time or as stuff breaks/annoys me. Didn't bother with a photo because I'm sure you all know what it looks like but if you must see another stock one i can throw one up later haha.

sal paradise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: NGD - Lefty Classic Vibe Jazzmaster

Post by sal paradise » Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:19 pm

Nice choice! Interested to play one myself to try the neck & hear how how it sounds. I love my MIJ Jazzmaster. Only problem is that it cost £1k and I wasn’t happy with the sound. Took mastery bridge, Creamery pickups & setup to get there. Significant price difference- wonder if the squier gets there for way cheaper. Based on my CV Tele, I’d guess so.
I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion?

SkiffleHanded
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by SkiffleHanded » Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:31 pm

sal paradise wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:19 pm
Nice choice! Interested to play one myself to try the neck & hear how how it sounds. I love my MIJ Jazzmaster. Only problem is that it cost £1k and I wasn’t happy with the sound. Took mastery bridge, Creamery pickups & setup to get there. Significant price difference- wonder if the squier gets there for way cheaper. Based on my CV Tele, I’d guess so.
I have very little frame of reference but I think the neck, weight, body shape, etc are pretty much perfect. I nearly bought one or two MIJ Jazzmasters because they're definitely nicer but it was a lot of cash and the odds of me getting a refund were lower if I didn't bond with it. Had a similar issue with a Highway One strat where I bought it, immediately realized I didn't love it, and sold it at a loss. I now have a Korean made Squier strat I think blows that guitar out of the water as far as how the neck feels and how resonant the body is. The nice thing about new is you can play it in a store or order it online and the only sunk cost is shipping.

SkiffleHanded
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by SkiffleHanded » Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:36 pm

Update: finally couldn't resist and plugged it in. Sounds great through the Tone Master Twin Reverb. First thing that really sticks out to me is there is a lot of different sounds in this thing with the pickups, rhythm circuit, and tone and volume knobs and none are bad to my ear for a $400 guitar. Time will tell how well it stays in tune and whatnot with use.

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Thu Dec 09, 2021 5:56 am

My only JM is a lefty Squier CV and I love it. As a lefty, I've not tried many others, so as a comparison, I've got little to offer. Compared to other guitars I've had in general, it's got the best neck I've ever played. The stock pickups aren't bad, although I swapped them for some Novaks because that's what I had my eye on anyway. It's a fantastic guitar, especially for around $400.
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

SkiffleHanded
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by SkiffleHanded » Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:48 am

Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 5:56 am
My only JM is a lefty Squier CV and I love it. As a lefty, I've not tried many others, so as a comparison, I've got little to offer. Compared to other guitars I've had in general, it's got the best neck I've ever played. The stock pickups aren't bad, although I swapped them for some Novaks because that's what I had my eye on anyway. It's a fantastic guitar, especially for around $400.
Any setup issues? I'm getting some rattling from the bridge on the high E. Considering a neck shim and higher guage strings to see if that helps. I'll eventually swap pickups but I don't think it's really required right away, they're good for this price based on some other cheap guitars I've owned or heard.

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:19 am

SkiffleHanded wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:48 am
Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Any setup issues? I'm getting some rattling from the bridge on the high E. Considering a neck shim and higher guage strings to see if that helps. I'll eventually swap pickups but I don't think it's really required right away, they're good for this price based on some other cheap guitars I've owned or heard.
I don't remember hearing any rattle from a particular string, but I do remember hearing a bit of a sound randomly. I thought it came from the vibrato tailpiece, but I wasn't sure. Before I got the Squier, I'd been collecting parts to make a JM-type for a while anywho, so I swapped out the bridge for a Staytrem and the vibrato for an actual lefty Fender (same that was put on the American Professional 1). Pickups definitely weren't necessary, but something I wanted anywho.
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

SkiffleHanded
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by SkiffleHanded » Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:29 pm

Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:19 am
SkiffleHanded wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:48 am
Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
I don't remember hearing any rattle from a particular string, but I do remember hearing a bit of a sound randomly. I thought it came from the vibrato tailpiece, but I wasn't sure. Before I got the Squier, I'd been collecting parts to make a JM-type for a while anywho, so I swapped out the bridge for a Staytrem and the vibrato for an actual lefty Fender (same that was put on the American Professional 1). Pickups definitely weren't necessary, but something I wanted anywho.
Ah I was going to put off the bridge and vibrato upgrade for a bit but maybe I should just get it over with .

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:08 am

You could. I didn't think the stock bridge was that bad, but Staytrem is a fantastic bridge too. I've not ever tried any of the others.