Mustang Hardtail vs Dynamic Bridge tone

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
rapidsdrool
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Mustang Hardtail vs Dynamic Bridge tone

Post by rapidsdrool » Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:09 pm

Hey there everyone,

So long story short I am curious about much the dynamic mustang bridge shapes the tone of the Mustang. I am a long time player of a vintage Mustang with the dynamic bridge but recently when I tried out some of the new Fender Mustangs with hardtail bridges (the player mustangs for example) and thought they lacked that sound I associate with mustangs, that almost clangy metallic sound. Sounded much more like just some Strat. Is this just in my head or does the bridge design affect the tone that much? Also, would it be possible to modify, oh lets say, a Telecaster with a dynamic bridge if I was super ambitious. Thanks!
Last edited by rapidsdrool on Wed Dec 08, 2021 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

csg
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: Mustang Hardtail vs Dynamic Bridge tone

Post by csg » Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:05 pm

There are quite a few differences between a Mustang bridge/tremolo combo and a string-through body or hardtail strat/tele bridge. The main difference is the break angle, which you can read about here: https://www.btnmusic.co.uk/guitar-string-break-angle/

There are a lot of nuances here, but the break angle on a traditional Mustang bridge/tremolo is closer to guitars like Gibsons with tune-o-matic bridges and guitars like the Jaguar with its tremolo set back from the bridge mimicking a tailpiece design instead of the hardtail strat/tele design. On hardtail strats with the strings going through the body, you've got an almost 90-degree break angle.

The other major variable is if the strings are mounted through the body or if they're mounted to the bridge. This can again effect the break angle, and there are arguments for the strings mounted through the body having an effect on vibration and sound as well.

Many of these changes are going to produce subtle acoustic effects. But all put together a bunch of subtle effects create the character and timbre of instruments. Hope that helps.

Ceylon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Ceylon » Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:36 pm

If you were willing to rout the body and make a custom plate for the bridge pickup that works with the dynamic vibrato, you could definitely modify a Telecaster to have one, if you were so inclined, yes.
Science Friction burns my fingers
Electricity still lingers

Pacafeliz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Pacafeliz » Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:21 pm

Mustang players:

1991 - dude you got teh Kurdtz
2021 - you got teh earz

😅
i love delay SO much ...that i procrastinate all the time.