CIJ early oughts Jaguar vs. Vintera 60's Jaguar

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
mastermorya
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

CIJ early oughts Jaguar vs. Vintera 60's Jaguar

Post by mastermorya » Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:46 pm

Having recently liquidated a beloved Jaguar that was pretty modified and non-traditional to raise funds to help some family members pay some bills, and now looking at what I hope is going to be a generous bonus this year, I’m in the market for a vintagey fully-featured Jaguar, with the rhythm circuit, tremolo, jag pickups, etc.

I’m sincerely tempted by the OTM Vintera 60’s. I’m a sucker for a matching head stock, and don’t love pao ferro but it might work with OTM.

But it also seems like for not a ton of money more, I could satisfy the urge with a Japanese model. In particular a CIJ or MIJ one with a matching headstock.

I am familiar with the current run of traditional 60’s offsets from Fender Japan—I have a LPB JM that I love deeply. Unfortunately the current model traditional 60’s jag is in black, which doesn’t stir me much.

What I know about the earlier model Fender Japan models is that

(1) They are reputed to have bad pickups, or at least generic strat pickups
(2) Electronics, shielding, not supposed to be great.
(3) Otherwise good build quality, thin necks, vintage specs.

Am I right about this? Can someone please enlighten me about the differences and distinctions among Fender Japan Jaguars from the late nineties through the present? The distinctions and differences between “CIJ”, “MIJ”, “traditional 60’s”, “hybrid 60’s”, “66-85(?)” etc.? Thanks so much in advance!

EDIT: ***It's really come down to a CAR early oughts Jaguar in CAR that I have played and I think it sounds and plays great, but is priced a good $400 or so more than a Vintera 60's Jag in OTM, which I can't get my hands on to play anywhere, sadly. Looking for people with opinions on either of these options***
Last edited by mastermorya on Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

timiscott
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Please school me on Japanese Jaguars

Post by timiscott » Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:44 am

That's a long story and I don't know all the details but, comparing my '93 MIJ Jazzmaster and the Trad 60s MIJ LPB Jaguar I bought a few months ago, I'd say that the latest models do not have the traditional issues with pickups and electrics. The Jaguar is the closest I've got to my AV65 JM in terms of attention to detail and I cannot fault it. If you were looking at a used MIJ/CIJ from before the last year or so, you'd want an upgraded one or would need to factor in the cost of new pots, wiring and (especially) pickup upgrades. The bottom line is that they are fundamentally really good guitars. In relation to MIM stuff, I don't know about Vinteras but I had a Classic Player SS Jaguar that was easily as well made as the MIJs I own. So, there you are... chaos.

mastermorya
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mastermorya » Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:40 pm

Thanks!

Powdered Toast Man
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Powdered Toast Man » Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:07 pm

American Original 60's. Incredible guitar!

mastermorya
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mastermorya » Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:00 am

Powdered Toast Man wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:07 pm
American Original 60's. Incredible guitar!
They seem quite cool, but I'm not into any of the colors and I'm a sucker for a matched headstock!