NGD! American Original 60s Jazzmaster!

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
Mondaysoutar
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: NGD! American Original 60s Jazzmaster!

Post by Mondaysoutar » Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:23 pm

Powdered Toast Man wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:53 am
Mondaysoutar wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:48 am
Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:12 am

I agree. But this problem is inherent in any 6-barrel saddle design in my experience. I've seen the same "wandering adjustment posts" on the vintage style six barrel saddle Tele bridge too.
The Staytrem is a 6 barrel saddle design is it not?
It is, but without the adjustment screws (which is why it works). Those are the problem - the saddle height screws are what end up wandering all over the place due to uneven string pressure on the individual saddle. This is why it even happens on the vintage style 6-barrel Tele bridge. This is why players have been swapping their threaded saddle bridge for a Mustang bridge since the 1960's. Staytrem is just the Mustang bridge with some nylon grommets to prevent screw movement.
Ah fair play man, I know what you mean now. I was actually tentative to ask for fear of it being taken the wrong way. Sometimes the posts can sink on the stock bridge too, I thought I was losing my mind when my action was changing seemingly on its own.

Powdered Toast Man
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Powdered Toast Man » Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:11 pm

Mondaysoutar wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:23 pm
Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:53 am
Mondaysoutar wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:48 am

The Staytrem is a 6 barrel saddle design is it not?
It is, but without the adjustment screws (which is why it works). Those are the problem - the saddle height screws are what end up wandering all over the place due to uneven string pressure on the individual saddle. This is why it even happens on the vintage style 6-barrel Tele bridge. This is why players have been swapping their threaded saddle bridge for a Mustang bridge since the 1960's. Staytrem is just the Mustang bridge with some nylon grommets to prevent screw movement.
Ah fair play man, I know what you mean now. I was actually tentative to ask for fear of it being taken the wrong way. Sometimes the posts can sink on the stock bridge too, I thought I was losing my mind when my action was changing seemingly on its own.
Yeah I've heard the posts themselves can wander too. This was just the A and G saddles (this time). I thought I was going nuts because I was like, "wtf this wasn't like this before... how could it have changed?" I was pressing on things while the string was ringing to try and pinpoint the source of the noise... putting my ear close all over trying to nail it down... Finally I noticed the bridge had laid back a bit and how close that lip was to the strings. Once I redid the radius of the saddles it was fine again.

I'm probably going to have to pull the stock bridge and go over it with lock-tite since apparently Mastery is taking something like 3 weeks to ship (and then another week or two to get to me in Canada).

Powdered Toast Man
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Powdered Toast Man » Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:35 am

Pulled the bridge on the weekend and used a small model paintbrush to coat every threaded post with lock-tite. Doesn't appear to have moved since.

I had my first band rehearsal with the Jazzmaster yesterday. This guitar is just fantastic! I played the same guitar the entire time. It gave me every tone I needed - from INXS to Bryan Adams to Colin James. It sits perfectly in a mix. Cuts through without sounding harsh or overbearing at all.

The guitar also plays incredibly well. Very consistent with other AO60s necks. Slim at the nut and fattens up nicely near the 12th fret. Great taper and super comfy.

Long story short, this one's a keeper! I could very much see this becoming my go to guitar for most things. It doesn't have a bad sound on it and the range of tones is so diverse that I can play most anything on it and have it sound correct. Awesome guitar!

Mondaysoutar
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mondaysoutar » Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:28 pm

Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:35 am
Pulled the bridge on the weekend and used a small model paintbrush to coat every threaded post with lock-tite. Doesn't appear to have moved since.

I had my first band rehearsal with the Jazzmaster yesterday. This guitar is just fantastic! I played the same guitar the entire time. It gave me every tone I needed - from INXS to Bryan Adams to Colin James. It sits perfectly in a mix. Cuts through without sounding harsh or overbearing at all.

The guitar also plays incredibly well. Very consistent with other AO60s necks. Slim at the nut and fattens up nicely near the 12th fret. Great taper and super comfy.

Long story short, this one's a keeper! I could very much see this becoming my go to guitar for most things. It doesn't have a bad sound on it and the range of tones is so diverse that I can play most anything on it and have it sound correct. Awesome guitar!
Ah glad to hear man. Aye I’ve been really happy since I got mine too, went Staytrem bridge and arm+collet, other than that kept it stock.

Powdered Toast Man
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Powdered Toast Man » Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:06 pm

Mondaysoutar wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:28 pm
Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:35 am

Ah glad to hear man. Aye I’ve been really happy since I got mine too, went Staytrem bridge and arm+collet, other than that kept it stock.
Thanks man! Yeah I've got a Mastery on order (they're taking 3 weeks to ship at the moment) so the stock bridge has to suffice for the moment. I just can't have it shifting around while I'm in the middle of a set. Even with the lock tite on there I'm still going to go ahead and put the Mastery on. I'm not crazy about threaded saddles to begin with (I hate them on a Tele).

mastermorya
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mastermorya » Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:13 am

Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:02 am
Update after a few days with her:

I thought maybe the complaints about the stock bridge were overblown. Last night after playing for about an hour (and with about 3 hours total on the guitar so far) all of a sudden I noticed the bridge is rattling. And then the A string was buzzing out of nowhere. And then the G string went "sitar" so badly that you could hear it loud and clear through the amp. I started trying to troubleshoot it and once I put my radius gauge on the strings I found that the A and G saddles had worked themselves downward just enough that the strings were making incidental contact with the front lip of the bridge plate while vibrating. Adjusted them back into position and the noises ceased.

I went to Mastery's website and put in an order. (I checked and Staytrem is "out of stock" and not available)
Thing about this is, you can fix it with loctite. The dirty secret of the Mastery is, it ends up rattling in about the same way, and you fix it with loctite!