Please help me choose a Jazzmaster

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
y335
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Please help me choose a Jazzmaster

Post by y335 » Mon Nov 22, 2021 3:51 am

Hello,

I want to buy a Jazzmaster. I dont know which one is good.

I have a MIJ Jazzmaster but its not here. So want to buy another one.

I am deciding between a Fender Vintera, Squier Classic Vibe, Fender American Professional 2, etc.

Are VIntera's good? I usually do not like MIM Fenders.
How is the Squier Classic Vibe? The hardware looks cheap.
How is the American Professional 2?

I am used to the 7.25 neck on my MIJ Jazzmaster. How are Jazzmasters with the 9.5 neck?

Please tell me the pros and cons on the different models.
What are some suggestions?

gibs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Please help me choose a Jazzmaster

Post by gibs » Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:34 pm

Personally I’d skip the vinteras, you get more for your money from the classic vibe, requires a little extra work (though I’m pretty sure the vintera would need shimmed, just like the CV), but still cheaper and just as good. The bridge is usable (I’d say better than the vintera personally), just loctite the height screws after you shim the neck to get the proper pitch back. The trem is probably worth replacing, tuners are good if your fine with the slotted tuners. Pickups are pretty good and usable, electronics will need replaced eventually (expect the toggle switch to crap out in the first month). Doing all that, you’d still be cheaper than a vintera by half.

ChrisDesign
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ChrisDesign » Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:44 pm

You need to play some in a shop.

Until you feel and play a guitar you won’t know if it’s right for you or not. Online is buying with your heart rather than your body.
"I own a '66 Jaguar. That's the guitar I polish, and baby - I refuse to let anyone touch it when I jump into the crowd." - Kurt Cobain

timiscott
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timiscott » Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:12 am

Don't dismiss the quality of MIM guitars. I had a Classic Player SS Jaguar that was easily as good as my MIJ guitars and probably better than my '93 MIJ Jazzmaster. If your MIJ JM is not cutting it, have a think about why. The 2021/22 MIJs have vastly more authentic pickups in them than the older ones but it might be the neck or anything else that's putting you off. The best advice is the previous posters, I think: go and play some in-store.

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:19 am

If you like MIJ’s, get another one…

I don’t feel a great difference in the 9 1/2” necks.. Easy transition IMO.

There’s always the Mod Shop for a good USA to your Specs & not Priced too crazy….

If you can find a good Used AV65 they are hard to beat….

Good luck..

y335
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by y335 » Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:01 am

Thanks for everyones reply.

The only Jazzmaster available to try are the current Squier Classic Vibe one.

Wouldnt the Ventara be a better buy because of better hardware? If replace things on the Squier, wouldnt that become expensive?

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:18 am

I just looked at one website.. Reverb.com… There are about 600 Jazzmasters For Sale… New & Used, Budget priced to Custom Shop & Vintage…

If you don’t want to spend a lot get a Squier J Mascis… Setting them up is laborious but they are great sounding, looking & playing Guitars under $500…

I had a few VMJM’s & I didn’t care for their QC.. Returned all of them & got a JMJM…

I have AV65’s & a JMJM. Other than adding a Mustang Bridge the JMJM is completely Stock & is good for whatever you want to do.. Noodling, Jams, Gigs etc.. Even Recording…

If you can afford more get an AV65.. If you can afford even more get one built by the Mod Shop or Custom Shop to your Specs….

Good luck…