New Fender Japan Traditional 60S Jazzmaster® HH LTD

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
iainmayfield
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: New Fender Japan Traditional 60S Jazzmaster® HH LTD

Post by iainmayfield » Thu Jul 07, 2022 4:47 am

mine just arrived - seems all good straight from the box - but why o why do they put 9's string on it? bonkers !!

neck is a bit pale for my liking but generally all good!

Funkybot
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Funkybot » Mon Jul 11, 2022 3:12 pm

I ordered this as an impulse buy the late Thursday night and just got delivery on it here in NJ a few hours ago. Kudos to Anderton's and DHL for getting that over here so quickly and the strong dollar for the decent price on the exchange rate.

Very preliminary first impressions and just general observations:

1. Finish and assembly is extremely well done - it really looks great in person, the frets feel great , B&B looks awesome as does the rosewood, neck pocket is perfection.

2. It's a 3-piece [basswood] body from what I can tell from looking on the back (can't see the seems on the front) - lightweight - grain isn't amazing or terrible and I'm generally not a Sunburst guy but as I said, it looks nice in person - I do wish more color options were available

3. The neck is indeed chunky (as advertised) but I have very small hands and it's not uncomfortable (at least, not yet). This was my biggest worry having not played it in person wand I was seriously contemplating selling the neck and having Warmoth build a replacement - but that may not be necessary. I'd prefer a thinner C-profile, but I can still thumb the low-E string.

4. I do wish they tinted the neck - I'm not a fan of the totally transparent neck finishes. The copy says this is a roasted neck, but I guess their roasting process doesn't add much, if any, color. That said, that might explain why it was practically in tune and setup when it got here despite crossing the ocean and sitting in a delivery truck in the summer.

5. No witch hat knobs? That will get fixed ASAP. I feel like all JM's should ship with witch hats by royal decree.

6. Agree with iainmayfield above...why on God's green Earth would anyone put 9's on a JM? Will fix that.

7. Don't miss these traditional Jazzmaster bridges...at all. That's going. Only question is Mastery or Staytrem. I've got one of each on my other offsets. Leaning towards Mastery. Not in a rush on this though.

8. EDIT: spring tension was set way too loose. Had to adjust that and all good now. The tremolo arm sits VERY deeply into the collet. I was shocked at how deep it went and how close the arm was to the body. I had another Japanese Jazzmaster tremolo that I don't recall doing this before it got replaced by a US one, and my Jaguar has a StayTrem which sticks out quick a bit. I'll almost certainly order a StayTrem for this. I'm wondering if this is some weird new trem system or if all Japanese trems just work like this nowadays. Whatever it is, I don't like it. For reference, my other JM is a CIJ from the mid-90s and the only reason I replaced the tremolo with an American one was because the damn collet was shot.

9. Oh...the pickups...that's why I bought this (always wanted a Jazzblaster) so those are definitely worth talking about. So far, I totally love them! I've got a '76 Tele Deluxe with original WRHB's and haven't compared the two yet - but will in the coming days. Will be interesting to see how they send when A/B'ing them [albeit on two very different guitars]. But my first impression is that these are clear, not at all harsh, and a nice alternative to my other Jazzmaster. The pickups are 100% keepers.

I was a little worried I'd regret purchasing this (felt like the neck wouldn't work with my hands and it would become a money pit) but upon taking delivery, I'm glad I got it. It sounds terrific. Just needs a few mods to make it perfect for me.
Last edited by Funkybot on Thu Jul 14, 2022 8:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

wooderson
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by wooderson » Mon Jul 11, 2022 8:35 pm

If it was painted with a matching headstock I'd be incapable of saying no.

Hope Fender USA does some kind of Jazzblaster in the next year or two.

iainmayfield
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by iainmayfield » Tue Jul 12, 2022 12:02 am

Funkybot wrote:
Mon Jul 11, 2022 3:12 pm
I ordered this as an impulse buy the late Thursday night and just got delivery on it here in NJ a few hours ago. Kudos to Anderton's and DHL for getting that over here so quickly and the strong dollar for the decent price on the exchange rate.

Very preliminary first impressions and just general observations:

1. Finish and assembly is extremely well done - it really looks great in person, the frets feel great , B&B looks awesome as does the rosewood, neck pocket is perfection.

2. It's a 3-piece [basswood] body from what I can tell from looking on the back (can't see the seems on the front) - lightweight - grain isn't amazing or terrible and I'm generally not a Sunburst guy but as I said, it looks nice in person - I do wish more color options were available

3. The neck is indeed chunky (as advertised) but I have very small hands and it's not uncomfortable (at least, not yet). This was my biggest worry having not played it in person wand I was seriously contemplating selling the neck and having Warmoth build a replacement - but that may not be necessary. I'd prefer a thinner C-profile, but I can still thumb the low-E string.

4. I do wish they tinted the neck - I'm not a fan of the totally transparent neck finishes. The copy says this is a roasted neck, but I guess their roasting process doesn't add much, if any, color. That said, that might explain why it was practically in tune and setup when it got here despite crossing the ocean and sitting in a delivery truck in the summer.

5. No witch hat knobs? That will get fixed ASAP. I feel like all JM's should ship with witch hats by royal decree.

6. Agree with iainmayfield above...why on God's green Earth would anyone put 9's on a JM? Will fix that.

7. Don't miss these traditional Jazzmaster bridges...at all. That's going. Only question is Mastery or Staytrem. I've got one of each on my other offsets. Leaning towards Mastery. Not in a rush on this though.

8. The tremolo arm sits VERY deeply into the collet. I was shocked at how deep it went and how close the arm was to the body. I had another Japanese Jazzmaster tremolo that I don't recall doing this before it got replaced by a US one, and my Jaguar has a StayTrem which sticks out quick a bit. I'll almost certainly order a StayTrem for this. I'm wondering if this is some weird new trem system or if all Japanese trems just work like this nowadays. Whatever it is, I don't like it. For reference, my other JM is a CIJ from the mid-90s and the only reason I replaced the tremolo with an American one was because the damn collet was shot.

9. Oh...the pickups...that's why I bought this (always wanted a Jazzblaster) so those are definitely worth talking about. So far, I totally love them! I've got a '76 Tele Deluxe with original WRHB's and haven't compared the two yet - but will in the coming days. Will be interesting to see how they send when A/B'ing them [albeit on two very different guitars]. But my first impression is that these are clear, not at all harsh, and a nice alternative to my other Jazzmaster. The pickups are 100% keepers.

I was a little worried I'd regret purchasing this (felt like the neck wouldn't work with my hands and it would become a money pit) but upon taking delivery, I'm glad I got it. It sounds terrific. Just needs a few mods to make it perfect for me.
i'm going with a 9.5 staytrem bridge and collet for the vibrato - and 10--46's fitted - sounds better already!

Funkybot
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Funkybot » Tue Jul 12, 2022 6:21 am

iainmayfield wrote:
Tue Jul 12, 2022 12:02 am
i'm going with a 9.5 staytrem bridge and collet for the vibrato - and 10--46's fitted - sounds better already!
I'm leaning towards Mastery for the bridge and definitely going Staytrem for the collet. I'm assuming I'll need the 10mm Staytrem collet.

As for the bridge, I think I just prefer what the Mastery did tonally for my CIJ Jazzmaster. The sustain and resonance are a bit different with the Mastery, and I liked the change it made to my other JM. I've got a Staytrem in my Jaguar, and it's a wonderful bridge too, but I just prefer the extra resonance of the Mastery. Then again...I just might be preferring the guitar for other reasons and associating it with the bridge. I'm in no rush to make the change though. Wasn't intending on buying this in the first place, so need to give my wallet some recovery time before going nuts with mods.

There's still a chance the neck will end up for sale. It's comfy for a big neck, but I think in the long run I'd prefer more of a C. And I don't want to take on changing the profile on my own...would rather see it go to a good home if I do swap it out at some point. It's a shame Fender doesn't sell a bound Jazzmaster neck, but I was looking at the cost to build one on Warmoth and it was probably cheaper than what Fender would sell a bound neck for anyway.

MC5tooge
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MC5tooge » Wed Jul 13, 2022 12:18 pm

Mine should be showing up tomorrow or on Friday.

Will share my thoughts when it gets here.

Funkybot
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Funkybot » Wed Jul 13, 2022 2:03 pm

I'm no guitar tech by any means but can do very basics. Anyone shim the neck on these? Necessary? The bridge buzz is real, but again, will deal with that via some thicker strings and eventually a mastery. Just wondering if a shim would be worth it too while making other changes.
Last edited by Funkybot on Wed Jul 13, 2022 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Funkybot
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Funkybot » Wed Jul 13, 2022 2:03 pm

MC5tooge wrote:
Wed Jul 13, 2022 12:18 pm
Mine should be showing up tomorrow or on Friday.

Will share my thoughts when it gets here.
Nice!

MC5tooge
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MC5tooge » Thu Jul 14, 2022 1:42 am

Well it just arrived. But came in a gig bag instead of the advertised hard shell case.
However since placing the order the guitar now appears on the Fender website and is listed as including a gig bag, not a hard case.
It was in the original cardboard box and the Fender Jazzmaster case I have already won't fit in the box (too long) so wondering if the specs have been downgraded?
What did yours come in guys? Can see Thomann and Andertons have updated their ads to state gigbag....

Pacafeliz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Pacafeliz » Thu Jul 14, 2022 3:14 am

U shaped neck? No thanks... :squint:
i love delay SO much ...that i procrastinate all the time.

MC5tooge
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MC5tooge » Thu Jul 14, 2022 5:15 am

OK anyone considering buying one of these... the ads SHOULD have pretty much been updated now - but they come with a (crappy as usual for Fender Japan) gig bag, not a case - which is a bummer at this price.
Trying to negotiate some kind of compensation with the place where I bought it - at least to cover what it would otherwise cost them to come and pick it up, restock it and sell it as "opened".

I ordered mine as soon as it appeared - and long before Fender put it on their website as available. Also the place I bought it had not had them in stock before so I am guessing that the change in specification came at Fender's end AFTER the product was initially announced to dealers.

There's no case candy other than the hang tags.

As for the guitar itself....
Well the pickups (main reason I bought it) are amazing. Crystalline sounding even with the stock 500K pots. Distort great through my Big Muff Deluxe but modulated cleans are the real highlight I think - at least for me. I totally get why Wayne Hussey was playing that Starcaster for the first few years of the Mission even though I thought it was an ugly-ass guitar at the time (changed my mind of course). And why Emma Anderson of Lush loved her Tele Deluxe so much.

Set up out of the box was fine. No buzz whatsoever. No need to adjust anything as far as I'm concerned after playing it for half an hour. Used an already "hammer modified" Japanese trem bar that doesn't rattle or anything. Don't recognise any of the other niggles people have made so far about rattly bridge etc. Also a nice sound even when not plugged in. Sustain perhaps could be better in that regard? Anyone complaining about rattly trem should just watch Puisheen's video with the vice and hammer mod. Easy fix.

Neck shape - if I was a shredder I'd probably hate it. But I'm not. I'm the last person to ask for an opinion about neck shape and radius as I don't actually have a preference. All my guitars make me play different ways. This is like my 70s Strat and not far off from the profile I chose for the custom neck I had made for my Marauder type guitar.

Weight - lighter than I expected. Not bothered about the fact there's not much wood grain and I don't buy into "tonewood" for solid guitars.
String choice - will try something fatter at some point but the 9s sound fine for the sounds I was expecting to make on this guitar TBH.

I sold my Fender Japan HH Jaguar JGS to partly pay for this, as I thought this would be even better at crystalline sounds. And it most definitely is. And my Antoria like Kevin Shields' Ibanez (the two guitars are almost "twins" to the uninitiated) is also going to finance it. So would I have bought it knowing case wasn't included? Possibly not - would have probably bought the pickups and made "my own". Is it going back? Not if they throw me a reasonable goodwill gesture. If they don't, possibly but I doubt it.

Funkybot
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Funkybot » Thu Jul 14, 2022 6:06 am

MCStooge, the bridge on mine definitely buzzes, but my intention is to replace it with a Mastery and heavier gauge strings anyway (might try a shim too as mentioned yesterday). The trem is also disgustingly noisy so I'll check out the video. The Anderton's listing says both "Included Hardcase" and then later on "Case: Gigbag". So they're a bit of a mess. I didn't notice until after I received it either and was surprised to find a gig bag too. Totally agree on the pickups. Going to throw some new 10's on it over the weekend and also on my '76 Tele Deluxe then try to do some listening to see how the new ones compare to the OG WRHB's. But I really like these new pickups.

Funkybot
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Funkybot » Thu Jul 14, 2022 6:15 am

Pacafeliz wrote:
Thu Jul 14, 2022 3:14 am
U shaped neck? No thanks... :squint:
It's chunky for sure, but not terribly uncomfortable. And I have very small hands for a guy (probably even for a woman too - lol). I'd still prefer a thinner neck profile, but this isn't anywhere near as bad as I initially feared it could be. If that were the only thing putting you off, I'd suggest playing it first. Then again, I didn't have the option for that and you may not either.

For comparison, I have a 2000's MIM Tele Deluxe (in addition to the actual 1976 mentioned in my prior post), and that has a thinner neck, but with a 12" radius and that thing is very uncomfortable. I've heard that "flatter radiuses are better for small hands" and I don't buy that at all based on my own experience. This chunky U with a 9.5" radius is much more comfortable to play.

That said, who knows...I could see myself eventually selling the neck to fund a Warmoth build. If I did, I'd go for B&B neck with a vintage tint and thinner profile. I tend to incrementally mod my guitars until they're totally perfect to me - so that would be way down the road - no rush.

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy_tchp » Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:31 pm

I don't get this. Adjust the bridge screws if it's 'buzzing'? A neck shim won't do anything to help this...
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

superficial
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by superficial » Fri Jul 15, 2022 12:50 am

I don't get this. Adjust the bridge screws if it's 'buzzing'? A neck shim won't do anything to help this...
Buzzing may be because the break angle over the bridge saddles is insufficient, though?