New Fender Japan Traditional 60S Jazzmaster® HH LTD

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
sugarandopium
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: New Fender Japan Traditional 60S Jazzmaster® HH LTD

Post by sugarandopium » Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:39 am

justinfromohio wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 4:19 am
I looked into a forwarding service for the black one and I was quoted around $2650, might be better off just getting a sunburst one refinished for that price.

Goddamn!!! Yeah that’s silly money.

I got quoted 2300.

sunburster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sunburster » Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:23 pm

justinfromohio wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 4:19 am
I looked into a forwarding service for the black one and I was quoted around $2650, might be better off just getting a sunburst one refinished for that price.
That doesn't sound like a good forwarding service! If you use FromJapan you only pay the price in yen + a 300 yen fee + international shipping. So, at the current exchange rate, the price before shipping would be $1436 USD (=198,300 yen).

justinfromohio
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by justinfromohio » Wed Jul 27, 2022 6:33 am

I might give FromJapan a shot, has anyone had any experience using that service?

sunburster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sunburster » Tue Aug 02, 2022 12:07 pm

justinfromohio wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 6:33 am
I might give FromJapan a shot, has anyone had any experience using that service?
I've used their service many times. Never had a problem.

forestgreen
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by forestgreen » Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:11 pm

Few IRL photos on the r/offset subreddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/offset/comment ... azzmaster/

Confirms too that it ships with a gig bag and not a hard case.

Funkybot
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Funkybot » Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:08 am

Mine (the burst model) just recently got a Mastery and a set of 10's. Much better. Truly lovely guitar. Brilliant pickups. I'm not at all thinking about replacing the neck despite my tiny hands. It's big, but still comfy.

Funkybot
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Funkybot » Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:24 am

Also quoting Telenator, who made CuNiFe WRHB's when no one else was, just including his setup instructions for pickup height.

TDPRI Thread
Telenator wrote: I get this question all the time in my Telenator e-mail and have finally written up a procedure.
Setting up a pair of CuNiFe WRHBs is not that easy, and you will not get the best tone from them if you're unsure of what to do.

Because of the sensitivity of the threaded magnets, combined with finding the optimum overall pickup height settings, it becomes very easy to turn this seemingly simple process into a real mess. Following this procedure will make things go a lot faster and yield better results on the first try.

While these tips apply in large part to many other pickups, some of the information here is unique to the WRHB. Have fun!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How to adjust a CuNiFe Wide Range Humbucker for the optimum traditional tone.

NOTE: Before you touch anything……. Always start with the height setting first, and then turn the CuNiFe magnets as a fine tuning adjustment once you have the pickup set at the optimum position as described below.

Following this procedure will get you much better results and prevent unnecessary adjustment stresses on a new or vintage CuNiFe Wide Range Humbucker. It becomes very easy to start chasing your tail with these pickups if you’re not organized and methodical in your approach.

When you set the pickup height, start with the NECK pickup first.

1) Set all the CuNiFe screw heights even, with the round of the heads just sticking out from the cover. Then lower the exposed G, B and E string magnets flush with the cover.

2) Hold the strings down at the last fret, and adjust the neck pickup height so it sits 8/64's below the strings on the bass and treble sides. Make it level.

3) IMPORTANT: Play for a few minutes and listen to the sound. Listen for the balance, tone and attack. Do not rush this process. Let your ears grow accustomed to the sound.

DO NOT ADJUST THE CuNiFe MAGNETS YET!

4) Start to lower the pickup, just a half turn at a time, to get the bass and treble balanced.

Do not raise the pickup to adjust for weak balance.

Lower the side that is louder. It makes a difference.

As you go lower, you will start to hear some really great tones come from the pickup.

You'll find a sweet spot where the reduced magnetic string pull allows for greater sustain, yet the sound remains very articulate.

5) Stop lowering the pickup when the articulation starts to fade and bring it back up a half turn or so.

You will also notice some really nice “note bloom” from the wound strings where the sound actually swells a bit after you pluck the note. This is the ideal position for those wanting the traditional WRHB sound.

6) If you now notice that one of the strings is still a tiny bit weak, or loud, this is the time to adjust the CuNiFe magnets to get the final balanced sound.

If two or more strings do not sound balanced, re-adjust the pickup height first before attempting to balance it with the CuNiFe magnet screws.

7) Adjust the bridge pickup until the output is balanced with you neck pickup.

The bridge pickup is not nearly as fussy and will not have quite the same characteristics as the neck pickup so it's important to get the neck pickup sounding great first, and then adjust the bridge pickup to the desired balance and output level.

This procedure will yield great results for those seeking the best traditional tone. Rock it!

whatisdust
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by whatisdust » Sat Aug 06, 2022 1:07 pm

Really want one of the black WR Jazzmasters bad! I don’t understand why they are Japan only? Fender Japan wouldn’t be doing another run of these, in a different color & specs, if they didn’t sell well.

I have a white JM66 with a matching HS and B+B that would look great with Limited Edition Black WR Jazzy!

MC5tooge
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MC5tooge » Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:22 am

I wouldn't be surprised if a run of the black ones finds its way to Europe next year, like happened with the sunbursts.
If they do I'll probably sell the sunburst and get one.

dave19er
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by dave19er » Fri Dec 02, 2022 1:00 pm

iainmayfield wrote:
Tue Jul 12, 2022 12:02 am

i'm going with a 9.5 staytrem bridge and collet for the vibrato - and 10--46's fitted - sounds better already!
Did you end up getting the Staytrem collet? Did you use their 10mm collet? I'm thinking of upgrading the collet on my new Traditional Jaguar, and assuming that's the collet I need to get, but not sure (and I know I could pull the tremolo and look, but asking someone seems a bit easier...)

Funkybot
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Funkybot » Thu Apr 13, 2023 11:37 am

Bumping to ask: has anyone changed the pots out for 1meg on these? I'm thinking of trying that out while I've got it in the shop anyway getting the neck shaved down at the shoulders (I've got a luthier turning the U into a C).

I've got a '76 Tele Deluxe with vintage WRHB's and 1meg pots, along with another 2003 '72 Tele Delxuxe RI that I upgraded to the RI CuNiFe WRHB's recently with 500k pots and I've been doing some comparisons. Not unexpectedly, the original WRHBs are MUCH brighter with the 1meg pots, and while I'm frequently rolling down the tone, it's a cool sound. The Tele Deluxe with the 500k pots doesn't have as much high end, so it's smoother with the tone rolled up, it feels like it has more pronounced mids, but I just don't like quite as much. It's kind of nice having the option to go obnoxiously bright with the WRHBs - I'm starting to think the pots are a big part of their appeal.

Now I'm thinking I should upgrade to 1meg pots on the Traditional 60s Jazzblaster and my Tele Deluxe RI. Anyone done it yet?

EDIT: while the luthier is shaving down the neck, I asked him to put in some 1meg pots. I'll go first.

jimutraa
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by jimutraa » Wed May 03, 2023 3:11 am

Just a quick heads up - this appeared in my RV Feed yesterday:
Fender Made in Japan Limited Run CuNiFe Wide Range 60s Jazzmaster Black

Is it just a one off - know that shop likes these, or distributor is releasing more Japan made models to the poor subjects of UK?
Interestingly was in Japan a month ago, window shopping mostly :?. Out of all the Japan JM models discussed here recently this was the only one not seen in the wild!
I don't have the spare cash to buy now, but someone else will surely enjoy ;)
Cheers

Iffymiffy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Iffymiffy » Thu May 04, 2023 3:35 am

jimutraa wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 3:11 am
Just a quick heads up - this appeared in my RV Feed yesterday:
Fender Made in Japan Limited Run CuNiFe Wide Range 60s Jazzmaster Black

Is it just a one off - know that shop likes these, or distributor is releasing more Japan made models to the poor subjects of UK?
Interestingly was in Japan a month ago, window shopping mostly :?. Out of all the Japan JM models discussed here recently this was the only one not seen in the wild!
I don't have the spare cash to buy now, but someone else will surely enjoy ;)
Cheers
I think these were released in very limited stores in Japan last year, I am wondering if they’ve made a batch just for international sales as I didn’t see any of these in Japan a month ago both online and in stores. But the official Fender Australia website has had it in stock and ready to ship for a bit.

Iffymiffy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Iffymiffy » Fri May 05, 2023 7:48 pm

I am wondering are the specs just the same as the current Fender Japan FSR Jazzmasters with B&B necks but with cunife pickups and the rhythm circuit taken out 🤔

IrishBread69
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by IrishBread69 » Sun May 07, 2023 8:44 am

Interesting to see the black ones available in the UK/Europe.

Several hundred pounds cheaper than I paid for my 3TSB last year too.

Anyone interested in these should definitely place an order early. Can't imagine there will be many of them or they'll be available for long.

Very impressed with my guitar, well made and the pickups are excellent. Might mod in the rhythm circuit to match the US CS guitars released last year. Wish the neck tint was a little darker but that's personal preference.