Curtis Novak JM-Historic?

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
kick_the_reverb
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Curtis Novak JM-Historic?

Post by kick_the_reverb » Fri Feb 04, 2022 8:37 am

I have had the Historic 58 installed recently in a Squier CV. Even though they are supposed to be dark, they have some high end I don't particularly like compared to my AVRI62 equipped guitars. However, this is not a 1:1 comparison as the other guitars have old D'Addario flatwound chromes, while the Squier has new GHS Precision Flats. Nevertheless, I don't think that specific "color" of high end is coming from the strings. I will have to give it more time to see what does it sound like when the strings get older.
(If you're wondering what's the logic of dumping a set of expensive pickups in a Squier, it's to be used as a test-bed. I am trying to find the formula that will give me the 10 year old flats through AVRI62 tone, without investing those 10 years...)

Ran

pwu
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by pwu » Fri Feb 04, 2022 11:47 am

Ran,
Have you tried lowering the Volume pot value with a resistor to ground to reduce that excessive high end? What pot values are you using? Also try swapping the pot for a lower value. It will make a difference.

mikeymike
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mikeymike » Fri Feb 04, 2022 10:37 pm

Very interested in these

noisepunk
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by noisepunk » Sat Feb 05, 2022 4:17 am

Marc wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:29 am
Finally someone is making late 60's spec grey bobbins which I love the sound of... except it says they are also Formvar wound and I thought that enamel wire was a big part of the CBS era pickup sound?
this is of absolutely no help, but there was someone on here making those about 10 years ago :D

i have a pair in my jazzmaster.

kick_the_reverb
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by kick_the_reverb » Sat Feb 05, 2022 6:43 pm

I haven't made any changes to pot values, so they are 1 Meg. That may be the next phase of experimentation, but I do want to give the strings a chance to mellow out a little bit.

Right now I am using the "dial the volume pot back a little" method, but not a huge fan of it. I got spoiled by my number 1 AVRI62 (all stock, just very old strings).

Ran
pwu wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 11:47 am
Ran,
Have you tried lowering the Volume pot value with a resistor to ground to reduce that excessive high end? What pot values are you using? Also try swapping the pot for a lower value. It will make a difference.

inertia
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by inertia » Thu Feb 10, 2022 7:45 am

pwu wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 7:54 pm
I have a set of 1965-1969 Era Historic Novaks on order. They will likely replace my Fralin Hum-Canceling set. I’ll keep you posted.
Any update?

pwu
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by pwu » Fri Feb 11, 2022 12:48 am

Shielding them now. Going to do an A/B with and without shielding for hum and treble loss, both pickups.
Using the following method to reduce eddy currents, thus preserving high frequencies: https://www.premierguitar.com/diy/mod-g ... il-pickups
FYI, here are the measured resistances of each:
Neck: 7.77k
Bridge: 8.17k

jtn191
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by jtn191 » Fri Feb 11, 2022 5:29 am

Interesting. Curious if shielding has been successful

pwu
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by pwu » Mon Feb 14, 2022 11:27 am

Here are the audio test clips I used to create waveform captures by recording direct to my computer, no amp:
https://soundcloud.com/pwurso/sets/curt ... al_sharing

So far, I've ben able to reduce the noise considerably, while preserving much of the tone.
There is a slight audible decrease in presence, and I'm exploring if bypassing the guitar’s Tone pot or removing the shielding from the pickup tops will help bring back the tiny bit of presence while still shielding noise. I will also record the noise floor while using one pickup alone to hear the difference without the noise cancellation of both pickups.
To be continued…

Noise floor comparison, both pickups:
Orange waveform is with shield grounded, Blue is ungrounded, White is the difference between the two.

Grounded Shields, Both Pickups:

Ungrounded Shields, Both Pickups:

Playing random riffs, both pickups:
Orange waveform is with shield grounded, Blue is ungrounded, White is the difference between the two.

Grounded Shields, Both Pickups:

Ungrounded Shields, Both Pickups:

Playing random riffs, bridge pickup:

Grounded Shields, Bridge Pickup:

Ungrounded Shields, Bridge Pickup:

jwlee
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by jwlee » Tue Feb 15, 2022 3:25 am

pwu wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 11:27 am
Here are the audio test clips I used to create waveform captures by recording direct to my computer, no amp:
https://soundcloud.com/pwurso/sets/curt ... al_sharing

So far, I've ben able to reduce the noise considerably, while preserving much of the tone.
There is a slight audible decrease in presence, and I'm exploring if bypassing the guitar’s Tone pot or removing the shielding from the pickup tops will help bring back the tiny bit of presence while still shielding noise. I will also record the noise floor while using one pickup alone to hear the difference without the noise cancellation of both pickups.
To be continued…
@pwu this is really helpful! Waiting for the final result! Thank you for your post!

pwu
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by pwu » Wed Feb 16, 2022 8:23 pm

Audio here:
https://soundcloud.com/pwurso/sets/more ... al_sharing

Shielding Tests
Note, the hum changes with time due to me moving the guitar in a circle to fully encourage hum and rejection. I attempted to make the exact same movements whether the shields were grounded or not. I have a switch that I'm using to close or open the ground circuit.

Ungrounded Shields (Bridge Pickups)

Grounded Shields (Bridge Pickups)

Comparison:

Tonal Comparison to Ungrounded Shields

Ungrounded shield and Tone Bypass:

Grounded shield:

Grounded shield and Tone Bypass:

pwu
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by pwu » Fri Feb 18, 2022 10:55 pm

Audio here:
https://soundcloud.com/pwurso/sets/fina ... al_sharing

Hopefully they help you to see differences in the changes I made. I will post some actual amp recordings in the near future. No more direct signals.

I'll also post my thoughts on what seemed to sound best to me.

The pickups are shielded except for the tops. Most of the copper is wrapped in packaging tape as an insulator. The side wraps until it meets, but does not complete a looped circuit. The bottom shield is also separated, except for a single wire.
Note, the sides didn't wrap around the top like in the photos in my final version. I wanted the pickup covers flush, so I moved the side shielding down until it was flush with the top edge:

Bridge Pickup

Bridge Pickup, Tone Bypassed

Noise Tests

Both Pickups Shielded

Both Pickups Unshielded

Bridge Pickup Shielded

Bridge Pickup Unshielded

Playing Tests

Last edited by pwu on Fri Mar 04, 2022 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tamerofbantha
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by tamerofbantha » Sat Feb 19, 2022 2:51 pm

some very thorough work. thanks for posting all this

pwu
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by pwu » Fri Mar 04, 2022 4:30 pm

Audio here:
https://soundcloud.com/pwurso/sets/anot ... al_sharing

Ok everyone. Here are my findings. When going back and listening with intense scrutiny to the audio files I've recorded, I could not tell a difference between the tracks played with or without the pickup shields grounded. Not once. The visible differences you see in all the posted analysis grabs are just noise/buzz/hum reduction. Listen and decide for yourself.

So I've decided to completely shield the pickups once again. This time, I shielded the tops the same, but the sides are now separate and the bottoms have a long separating cut in them to further reduce eddy currents. I am very happy with the results. Take note that the copper foil and insulating tape laminations increase the pickup dimension slightly, and not only will it be a tight fit in the pickup covers, but the covers will also bulge slightly and fit tighter in the guitar. Since the pole pieces are longer on the underside in these Novaks, I installed the pickups upside down to ensure the pole pieces would still come through the pickup covers.

Take care!
Peter

Playing Shielded 6 (Bridge Pickup)

Playing Unshielded 6 (Bridge Pickup)

Shielding Test 4 - Grounded (Both Pickups)

Shielding Test 4 - Grounded (Bridge Pickup)

Shielding Test 4 - Ungrounded (Both Pickups)

Shielding Test 4 - Ungrounded (Bridge Pickup)

Playing comparison. White waveform is really the amount of hiss reduction!
Note, I've been setting these at 50% amplitude to ensure the waveform is visible in the window.

Bridge noise comparison. Same as above.

Both pickups noise comparison. Same as above.

øøøøøøø
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by øøøøøøø » Fri Mar 04, 2022 11:33 pm

If shielding against hum (EMI) is the goal, copper foil won’t do much.

Source some Ultraperm 80 foil and try again!