Danelectro Dead On '67 Vibrato Replacement/Upgrade

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
Wilfio
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Danelectro Dead On '67 Vibrato Replacement/Upgrade

Post by Wilfio » Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:29 pm

Hi all, my first post here, sorry if it has been covered before - I did a quick search but couldn't find anything. Is anyone aware of where I can find a replacement bridge for this guitar, preferably a vibrato bridge. I bought this guitar a few months back and to be honest haven't really played it much, but I have decided to give it a good go. The guy I bought it off replaced the stock bridge with what is purportedly an actual 60's unit. But... It sucks. So I'd like to replace it!

Thanks in advance!
Last edited by Wilfio on Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Horsefeather
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Danelectro Dead On '67 Vibrato Replacement/Upgrade

Post by Horsefeather » Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:54 pm

That looks almost identical to what came on it. I don't think you're going to find any improvement in the performance by going back to stock.

Is that one attached to the spring in the body and do you get a small amount of vibrato by cranking the bar?

What are your specific criticisms of that bridge?

Wilfio
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Wilfio » Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:34 am

Horsefeather wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:54 pm
That looks almost identical to what came on it. I don't think you're going to find any improvement in the performance by going back to stock.

Is that one attached to the spring in the body and do you get a small amount of vibrato by cranking the bar?

What are your specific criticisms of that bridge?
The rosewood saddle is loose, so it moves around if you play slightly hard. The arm 'mount' rubs against the high E string and causes tuning issues, and the arm itself comes completely loose after moving it once or twice, so that the arm moves a lot when you wiggle on it, but it's so loose that the bridge doesn't move!

I've had a look at the stock one, it's a bit wider so the arm mount doesn't touch the high E. I'd be happy just changing back to that really, but finding one is difficult!

Horsefeather
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Horsefeather » Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:20 am

Ah, so I misspoke. The small details are what separate the old ones from the newer design.

I know how annoying it is when the bolt that is tasked with holding two pieces together is also used as an axle. I had this same issue with some Fiskars loppers recently and ended up drilling a hole through the bolt and using a castle nut with a cotter pin. Not really an option here, though.

Is that nut what contacts the high E string?

I think the bridge is held on with a small screw through an adjustment slot on the bottom so hopefully that's an easy fix.

Given that this is a simple flat piece of metal, it might be worth the effort to fabricate a new one for yourself with the desired dimensions. You could even have it laser cut by some online entity. The only trick would be providing them a file to work with, unless they could use a physical template you would provide.

Wilfio
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Wilfio » Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:25 pm

It's the end of the arm itself that contacts the string, there is a plastic washer between the arm and the bridge plate, bit it's not high enough to protect the string, and the bolt isn't long enough to add another washer!

Getting one made up is a good idea actually, you're right in that it's not a very complicated part. I shall look in to it and update if anything happens. Thanks for the advice!