NGD: Classic Player Jagzmaster whatchamacallit

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
badform
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

NGD: Classic Player Jagzmaster whatchamacallit

Post by badform » Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:24 pm

So... I went down to my local candy store, Atomic Music in Beltsville, MD to finally pull the trigger on a little Bronco amp they've had forever. But, as with all things GAS related, someone got it and I was heartbroken. However, I spied this thing on the rack, and it pulled all my triggers...

Looks like it started out life as a CP Jag, now sporting AVRI Jazzmaster pickups and trem, with a very nice and comfortable birdseye maple MusiKraft 24" scale neck. All I know is it felt like home the moment I picked it up, and it makes some very nice sounds.

So... Who did this? I'm lookin' around at all of you. Whoever made this FrankenJag, thank you.

Unicorn Warrior
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: NGD: Classic Player Jagzmaster whatchamacallit

Post by Unicorn Warrior » Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:31 pm

Congrats. Had to have been someone here. Or at least someone who has lurked.

Anyway, how do the JM pups sound in that jag?

javier-san
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by javier-san » Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:01 pm

gd. I love it! I've been toying with making something similar!

Surfysonic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Surfysonic » Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:11 pm

Congrats and enjoy! That is an outstanding find! :?

I've acquired some cool gear from Atomic over the years. I try to get out there at least once or twice a year. I'm glad they have a Reverb shop to check out their inventory. There are buried treasures to be found for sure. 8)
The doofus formerly known as Snorre...

badform
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by badform » Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:42 am

Unicorn Warrior wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:31 pm
Anyway, how do the JM pups sound in that jag?
Okay, I dug in and played through a couple of different amps with this thing. One, it plays and sounds great! Heavier strings than I would normally put on it - 12s I'm guessing, and that may color the sound somewhat. Also, I don't know what value pots/caps/etc are in it. For that matter, the strangle switch is not doing anything, maybe it's been bypassed? Dunno.

The JM pickups in the Jaguar sound... wider(?) than any other guitar I have. I know that's vague, so I gotta think on this for a moment...

Most of my other guitars sound more focused, maybe more compressed. My Jazzmasters have a wider dynamic range, both my CP JM (which has basically P-90 pickups in it) and more importantly my '62 JM partscaster with an original pickup in it both have more range between the bass and treble extremes. This Jag wearing AVRI JM pickups has the widest range of all. That could be because the pickup placement is different, the scale length is different, possibly different pots/caps values, or all of the above. Hopefully that made some kind of sense.

Another thing... I don't know what trem collet is in there. AVRI and MIJ arms don't fit, and it's not threaded either. I won't know until I restring it and take it apart a bit. Right now I'm enjoying playing it too much to open it up.

badform
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by badform » Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:47 am

Surfysonic wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:11 pm
I've acquired some cool gear from Atomic over the years. I try to get out there at least once or twice a year. I'm glad they have a Reverb shop to check out their inventory. There are buried treasures to be found for sure. 8)
I've been shopping there for over 20 years, and I've never had a bad experience there. For several years, I lived half a block away from one of their College Park (MD) locations, and I can't stress how important that store was for me figuring out what kinds of guitars and amps I liked and suited me. Now they're in a bigger location, and every time I go in I have to fight the temptation to buy yet another guitar/amp/synth. I don't know how they do it, but their inventory is always interesting.

Surfysonic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Surfysonic » Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:30 pm

Nice! Great folks there who are always helpful. :)

Some of the cool gear I got from there over the last 8 years or so was a Fender '63 Reissue Vibroverb, a '65 Fender Mustang, and Fender Pawn Shop Excelsior Pro, and my '62 Fender Bassman head & cab. The speakers were shot and I had modern Jensen replacement speakers for a while, then found someone to recone the originals, which are now back in the cab. 8)
The doofus formerly known as Snorre...

burpgun
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by burpgun » Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:37 pm

I went to UMCP back in the mid 90s and used to hit Atomic up from time to time. I recall they had a small shop and moved to a bigger one. It’s been a while but I had a bunch of gear stolen in lovely Baltimore. One piece that got heisted was a Rick 4001 so with insurance money I was out for a replacement, which wasn’t easy. Ended up getting a 4003 from Atomic that some clown had taken off the original bridge (yes, Ric bass bridges suck, but still) put plastic over the hole and mounted some sort of Fender type bridge on. Functionally it worked but it looked terrible. Good shop though and I like places that stock oddballs.

Mechanical Birds
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mechanical Birds » Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:54 am

No idea on that fun guy but Atomic is my happy place