Lefty looking for Jazzmaster buying advice

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
SkiffleHanded
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Lefty looking for Jazzmaster buying advice

Post by SkiffleHanded » Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:19 am

This thread is full of great advice! As a quick update, I've had my eye on a few used/b-stock Classic Vibe Jazzmasters which are roughly $400. I'll probably pull the trigger on one, play it as is for a while, then after I get my confidence up with mods try to upgrade the things that most people say are issues down the road. I should probably just buy the damn thing and worry about playing/practicing instead of getting the literal best guitar, but what fun is that?

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:13 pm

Don't feel bad man!! I knew exactly what mods I was gonna put in mine before I even went looking. I'd had certain things in mind for so long because I'd been planning a homemade JM-type for a while. The CV might surprise you though. Mine played beautifully from the first second.

Also, if they are $400 used, just buy it new! I bought mine for $400 new a year ago, though maybe they're hard to find now...
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

chemattstry
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by chemattstry » Sat Oct 30, 2021 2:51 am

I picked up a Classic Vibe JM back in 2019 as a backup to a Warmoth JM I had put together. I pulled the electronics on the CV and put in some Rose Picasso humbuckers in a JM format. I sold the Warmoth one off and kept the CV. The Indian Laurel fretboard was meh looking until I put some F1 oil on it. I also put some Loctite on the bridge height adjustment screws. Once the CV was setup and I had those new pickups in, it became my number one. My other electric is a MIM Player Tele. I reach for the CV when I play at our church more than I reach for the Tele and I love the Tele.

SkiffleHanded
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by SkiffleHanded » Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:01 pm

chemattstry wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 2:51 am
I picked up a Classic Vibe JM back in 2019 as a backup to a Warmoth JM I had put together. I pulled the electronics on the CV and put in some Rose Picasso humbuckers in a JM format. I sold the Warmoth one off and kept the CV. The Indian Laurel fretboard was meh looking until I put some F1 oil on it. I also put some Loctite on the bridge height adjustment screws. Once the CV was setup and I had those new pickups in, it became my number one. My other electric is a MIM Player Tele. I reach for the CV when I play at our church more than I reach for the Tele and I love the Tele.
I really need to just buy a CV. I just found a great deal on an amp so my guitar funds are currently depleted, but maybe after the holidays...