Fender meteora how does it handle alternate tunings and is it good w noisy experimental stuff

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
Nahwooks
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Fender meteora how does it handle alternate tunings and is it good w noisy experimental stuff

Post by Nahwooks » Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:10 pm

I’m thinking about picking up a fender meteora and I’m wondering if anyone has used it with alternate tunings and whether or not it is functional in similar ways to the jazz masters/jag.

Futuron
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Fender meteora how does it handle alternate tunings and is it good w noisy experimental stuff

Post by Futuron » Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:13 am

Which one? The tele version or the hh version?

The tele version is a tele with a different body shape. It plays like a tele.
The hh version is a strat/whatever with AOM bridge. It plays like an hh strat/whatever with a hardtail.

Neither function like a normal Jaguar/Jazzmaster. If a hardtail strat or tele can handle alternate tunings and noisy experimental stuff then yes!

Ceylon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Fender meteora how does it handle alternate tunings and is it good w noisy experimental stuff

Post by Ceylon » Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:27 am

Well, there's no reason you can't use alternate tunings or make noise on any electric guitar, but the reason people gravitate towards the Jazzmaster and Jaguar for that sort of thing is because the vibrato bridge setup allows for playing behind the bridge, adds some interesting overtones to the sound and adds an extra bit of string length that gives a bit more tension if you're going to be tuning down low.

The Meteora won't do any of that, but people have played noise experimental music on Stratocasters and Telecasters and Les Pauls and all sorts of Ibanezes and various floating vibrato Superstrats, so just decide on the parameters you want to experiment with I guess.
Science Friction burns my fingers
Electricity still lingers

Nahwooks
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Nahwooks » Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:11 am

Cool, thanks. I have a bunch of jazz masters and jags and was just curious about the meteora

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:40 am

thanks for reminding me, i've got an unfinished meteora i need to do something with sometime.
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

WillPhistre
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by WillPhistre » Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:06 am

s_mcsleazy wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:40 am
thanks for reminding me, i've got an unfinished meteora i need to do something with sometime.
Send it to me! I have a neck lying around that needs a Meteora body. ;)

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:40 am

Futuron wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:13 am
Which one? The tele version or the hh version?

The tele version is a tele with a different body shape. It plays like a tele.
The hh version is a strat/whatever with AOM bridge. It plays like an hh strat/whatever with a hardtail.

Neither function like a normal Jaguar/Jazzmaster. If a hardtail strat or tele can handle alternate tunings and noisy experimental stuff then yes!
Right. The first one is just a Telecaster.

The other one is basically a long scale SG or Explorer.

Anything those guitars can do the Meteora can do. It's not a particularly original guitar or anything
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

Arthon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Arthon » Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:53 am

I had a Meteora HH. It played and sound like a MIM Fender with humbuckers. The humbuckers are what they put on the Player serie. I dont like those humbuckers; quite hot and lifeless at the same time. The push/pull is a nice feature thought.

The shape is the only thing cool on this guitar. They could have made something more interesting with it. At least, they could have put original pickups.

Not a bad guitar; just the same quality of a MIM Player Strat/Tele.
The Blues Cartographer
(sorry for the spelling, I speak french)

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:09 pm

Arthon wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:53 am
I had a Meteora HH. It played and sound like a MIM Fender with humbuckers. The humbuckers are what they put on the Player serie. I dont like those humbuckers; quite hot and lifeless at the same time. The push/pull is a nice feature thought.

The shape is the only thing cool on this guitar. They could have made something more interesting with it. At least, they could have put original pickups.

That was my impression, especially about the Player series humbuckers. The body turned out to be way more comfortable than I ever imagined, but I've been apprehensive about buying one because I'd basically want to mod everything but the body itself, at which point it just makes more sense to buy a body and build a parts guitar.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

Arthon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Arthon » Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:45 am

mbene085 wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:09 pm
Arthon wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:53 am

That was my impression, especially about the Player series humbuckers. The body turned out to be way more comfortable than I ever imagined, but I've been apprehensive about buying one because I'd basically want to mod everything but the body itself, at which point it just makes more sense to buy a body and build a parts guitar.
I could have bought a Custom Shop model, if they were not 10k+
The Blues Cartographer
(sorry for the spelling, I speak french)

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:11 pm

Arthon wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:45 am
I could have bought a Custom Shop model, if they were not 10k+
Yeah, that $10k Custom Shop one with the filtertrons is I a store in my city. I could go play it if I wanted to. I don't. I adore Filtertrons and I love the Meteora shape, but that's just not an instrument I'd ever consider spending money on.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.