NGD - Fender Japan Traditional '60s Jazzmaster

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
smora
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: NGD - Fender Japan Traditional '60s Jazzmaster

Post by smora » Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:06 pm

I appreciate that in-depth response! Plus it's easy to write/read a dissertation about something we love.

So I'm guessing the Traditional 60's comes in basswood or alder? I've seen specs listing either one. I've had a few MIJ guitars that put me off basswood as there was something very flat and bland about their sound that couldn't be dialed out even after upgrades, like a more sterile version of alder. They both sounded good if playing with lots of gain, but playing clean something was missing. Maybe I just got two duds. I guess since you've found some US Fenders to be sterile it means they can be found at any price range.

I stepped away from guitar for much of the 2010's and just started again this year and I was shocked at the current MIM prices. I guess everything has gone up though. Wish I bought an AVRI back in the day, or at least a few more MIJ's.

Seems the best plan is to just get both models and keep the one that speaks to me more...then realize they both speak to me and rationalize keeping both :P I'm quite happy with my Classic 60's and parts JM, but more offsets more happy, right?

Surfysonic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Surfysonic » Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:50 am

smora wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:06 pm
I appreciate that in-depth response! Plus it's easy to write/read a dissertation about something we love.

So I'm guessing the Traditional 60's comes in basswood or alder? I've seen specs listing either one. I've had a few MIJ guitars that put me off basswood as there was something very flat and bland about their sound that couldn't be dialed out even after upgrades, like a more sterile version of alder. They both sounded good if playing with lots of gain, but playing clean something was missing. Maybe I just got two duds. I guess since you've found some US Fenders to be sterile it means they can be found at any price range.

I stepped away from guitar for much of the 2010's and just started again this year and I was shocked at the current MIM prices. I guess everything has gone up though. Wish I bought an AVRI back in the day, or at least a few more MIJ's.

Seems the best plan is to just get both models and keep the one that speaks to me more...then realize they both speak to me and rationalize keeping both :P I'm quite happy with my Classic 60's and parts JM, but more offsets more happy, right?
I know mine is basswood - I'm not aware they're available in alder? The US Fender AO '60s JM is alder. From a production standpoint, I would assume they would stick with the one type of wood for a specific model.

Honestly, if you can afford to do it, getting both will be your best determination as to which one feels right for you. Of course, there's always the possibility that both will feel right to you or both may not work for you. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

One caveat on the Trad '60s JM that I failed to mention in my last post but have posted elsewhere in this thread. I can't stand the limited movement of the vibrato system on it. I hope the Mastery M1 Kit arrives soon.

Yeah, I have overdosed a bit on JMs lately, hence why I need to move some of them on. I went into a bit of a pickup modding/upgrading period to try out all sorts of JM pickups out there. I currently have 6 and I'd like to ideally get down to 3. My top 3 are the AO '60s JM, Trad '60s JM, and Squier J Mascis JM. I chose the Squier J Mascis over my refin'd Vintera '60s JM because of my extensive mods, pro refin, sentimental history, and the fact it's just an amazing guitar for the value. Still a great sleeper of a guitar, even stock.
The doofus formerly known as Snorre...

smora
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by smora » Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:38 pm

Surfysonic wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:50 am
I know mine is basswood - I'm not aware they're available in alder? The US Fender AO '60s JM is alder. From a production standpoint, I would assume they would stick with the one type of wood for a specific model.
The pink paisley and blue flower models were listed as alder. The lefty ones in other colors all seem to be alder too, but not the right-handers. Most of the solid colors with matching headstock all seem to be basswood.

Everyone raves about the J Mascis, but I can't do jumbo frets. Can you tell me how the "vintage tall" frets on the AO60 compare to regular vintage frets? I'm assuming they feel only slightly taller and not as tall as something like the narrow tall frets on the AmPro JM's. If they're only a bit taller, but not quite narrow tall 6105 type frets that would be perfect and give me more conviction to pull the trigger on one of these.

I got a good deal on a used Mastery vibrato recently and I love it. Would be great if Fender started selling their Panorama unit.

Surfysonic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Surfysonic » Wed Sep 01, 2021 2:08 pm

smora wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:38 pm
Everyone raves about the J Mascis, but I can't do jumbo frets. Can you tell me how the "vintage tall" frets on the AO60 compare to regular vintage frets? I'm assuming they feel only slightly taller and not as tall as something like the narrow tall frets on the AmPro JM's. If they're only a bit taller, but not quite narrow tall 6105 type frets that would be perfect and give me more conviction to pull the trigger on one of these.

I got a good deal on a used Mastery vibrato recently and I love it. Would be great if Fender started selling their Panorama unit.
The AO 60's JM frets are a smidge (lil bit) taller than the Trad '60s JM, Fender Johnny Marr Jag, my '63 Jag, and Vintera '60s JM. I guess I never pay much attention to frets because my fingers tend to play just above the fret on the rosewood board. I do see that the J Mascis JM is wider for sure.

Agreed on the Panorama unit - it's quite nice. 8)

sciuri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sciuri » Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:28 am

Can you please verify that the USA pickguard fits the MIJ traditional 60s perfectly?

I just bought one of the 2020 MIJ traditional 60s JMs in OTM and will have a NGD soon! I was already GASing for it and this thread just fueled that further. It's advertised as using USA Fender plastic parts, and I'm planning to switch out the stock tort guard to mint or parchment. Thanks!

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:47 am

Surfysonic wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:08 am
I decided to move some bits and pieces around on the Trad '60s JM and my AO '60s JM. I took out the Hum-Cancelling Brandenwound Jazzmaster pickups from the AO '60s JM and swapped out the Spitfire tort pickguard with the Trad '60s JM mint (very light mint as compared to US mint pickguards). I re-installed the stock Pure Vintage '65 pickups into the AO '60s JM.

I put the Spitfire tort pickguard on the Trad '60s JM and I think it looks way more striking with the Lake Placid Blue body and black JB Two/Tone Jazzmaster pickup covers. I'll probably just save the Brandenwound pickups for a future build. I could put them in my Vintera '60s JM, but I'm fine with leaving the set of Pure Vintage '65 pickups in that one, too.

This is too funny. Your MIJ was making my heart go pitter-patter, but now it's the AO. I just love mint guards and white pickups on blue Offsets. It's wired deep into my brain. I see that colour scheme, and I'm brought right back to 2002 when I found my blue MIJ Jag on eBay. I had never seen such a gorgeous guitar in my life, and moved heaven and earth to make it mine.

They're both lookers, though. Quite the pair you've got there.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

Surfysonic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Surfysonic » Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:53 am

Thanks, Mike! Both sound awesome, too! :w00t:

I'm so looking forward to putting the Mastery M1 Kit (bridge/vibrato) on the Trad '60s JM. Probably another week or so. :whistle:

mastermorya
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mastermorya » Fri Sep 03, 2021 12:43 pm

The more I play my MIJ 60's LPB JM, the more I am liking the pickups. They may sound better than the pickups on my Elvis Costello. Have abandoned any current plans to replace. Finding a trem arm that is longer and extends further from the body makes a big difference. No modding plans now.

Surfysonic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Surfysonic » Fri Sep 03, 2021 5:12 pm

Nice! What were the stock Elvis Costello JM pickups? Fender AVRI '62 pickups? Been too long for me to remember. :whistle:

Veitchy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Veitchy » Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:28 pm

Surfysonic wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 5:12 pm
Nice! What were the stock Elvis Costello JM pickups? Fender AVRI '62 pickups? Been too long for me to remember. :whistle:
I believe so, yeah.

mastermorya
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mastermorya » Mon Sep 06, 2021 12:16 pm

I have heard that they are stock AVRI 62, and I have heard that they tweaked them for the EC model. No idea. Don’t sound significantly different from the AVRI 62 I used to have as far as I can remember but it has been like 7-8 years.

JAGJazz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JAGJazz » Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:28 pm

I've been considering one as an upgrade platform. Thanks for the post!

JAGJazz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JAGJazz » Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:29 pm

PS: I love the Spitfire tort!

Surfysonic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Surfysonic » Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:08 pm

Thanks, JAGJazz! I was lucky to buy this Spitfire tort 2nd hand off of a fellow OSGer.

FWIW, the stock electronics (pickups, wiring, etc.) are all quite decent. I think Fender Japan has made some serious improvements in this area. 8)

JAGJazz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JAGJazz » Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:37 pm

Surfysonic wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:08 pm

FWIW, the stock electronics (pickups, wiring, etc.) are all quite decent. I think Fender Japan has made some serious improvements in this area. 8)
So, are they no longer using what looked basically like Strat coils under JM bobbins?