Competition Bullet Mustang in Sherwood Green

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
Mervynskidmore
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Competition Bullet Mustang in Sherwood Green

Post by Mervynskidmore » Sun Aug 22, 2021 2:56 pm

Got a follow up email from Thomann saying they will have a limited supply of them. I've ordered one tonight, only changes I'll make will be to put on an aged pearl pickguard and kiwi the neck.

astro
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by astro » Sun Aug 22, 2021 8:42 pm

The black and gold is now available in Canada, hopefully more colours will be made available here.

Link

Mervynskidmore
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mervynskidmore » Sun Aug 29, 2021 1:57 pm

Should have a Sherwood green one by Wednesday. Will upload a pic when it arrives. Have ordered an aged pearloid pickguard from AliExpress too. I have a bit of buyers remorse with this as I really don't need it but I reckon I can flip it pretty quick if needs be.

Wucan
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Wucan » Sun Aug 29, 2021 6:35 pm

Mervynskidmore wrote:
Sun Aug 29, 2021 1:57 pm
Should have a Sherwood green one by Wednesday. Will upload a pic when it arrives. Have ordered an aged pearloid pickguard from AliExpress too. I have a bit of buyers remorse with this as I really don't need it but I reckon I can flip it pretty quick if needs be.
If it comes to that let me know if you'd be willing to ship it across the Atlantic. Can take it as separate parts too.

Mervynskidmore
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mervynskidmore » Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:44 pm

Took delivery of a Sherwood Green one today. The quality control is probably the worst I've ever seen with a new guitar.

Plenty of scratches and marks on the back of the neck and it looks like whatever they finish these necks in was very poorly applied and missed completely in spots. Neck pocket is pretty sloppy with the trademark fender finish cracks. The neck alignment is poor but I can probably loosen the neck and get it into place. Theres a dent on the upper horn that was finished over. The pickguard is badly warped on one side, looks like the screws are driven crookedly. The fretwork isn't the worst, just the usual scratchy frets.

The tuners actually feel decent and the pickups sound ok.

I know it's a cheap guitar but I don't get the reviews that rave about how good they are. I'd say a Harley Benton which is half the price would be as good.

manwithtitties
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by manwithtitties » Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:36 am

Gak posted a photo of those fsr 50s jazzmasters and they look really cool

smjenkins
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by smjenkins » Thu Sep 02, 2021 4:39 pm

Wow. The grain on that sunburst one. :? :? :?

Avom
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Avom » Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:31 am

Mervynskidmore wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:44 pm
Took delivery of a Sherwood Green one today. The quality control is probably the worst I've ever seen with a new guitar.

Plenty of scratches and marks on the back of the neck and it looks like whatever they finish these necks in was very poorly applied and missed completely in spots. Neck pocket is pretty sloppy with the trademark fender finish cracks. The neck alignment is poor but I can probably loosen the neck and get it into place. Theres a dent on the upper horn that was finished over. The pickguard is badly warped on one side, looks like the screws are driven crookedly. The fretwork isn't the worst, just the usual scratchy frets.

I know it's a cheap guitar but I don't get the reviews that rave about how good they are. I'd say a Harley Benton which is half the price would be as good.
Mine arrived today. The yellow one. Frets are ok. No sctraches, no marks. The colour is perfect. Tuners are good.
Seriously, for the price, it’s a fun guitar.

Not a fan of indian laurel. The bends are not pleasant.

Avom
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Avom » Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:19 am

Image Image

Wucan
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Wucan » Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:58 pm

Mervynskidmore wrote:

Sucks to hear. I used to have an Imperial Blue one and it was legit despite the price - nice dark fretboard, frets were correct, neck even had flaming. Plastic parts but built without obvious flaws. Hope you can get a replacement.

Mervynskidmore
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mervynskidmore » Wed Sep 08, 2021 1:20 pm

Wucan wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:58 pm
Mervynskidmore wrote:

Sucks to hear. I used to have an Imperial Blue one and it was legit despite the price - nice dark fretboard, frets were correct, neck even had flaming. Plastic parts but built without obvious flaws. Hope you can get a replacement.
I'm going to keep it. It's a pain in the arse for me to return it and I'm going to use it to do a couple of mods and maybe practice a bit of work on. I actually like the raw kind of finish on the back of the neck. It's fun to play. Another thing I don't like is that even normal playing for me sends the neck out of tune, it's that thin body I reckon. I've seen another few people online say the same.

It's a great idea for a guitar but just a little poorly executed in my opinion. I'll mess around with it for a while and probably give it to my nephew who's getting interested in guitars now.

smjenkins
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by smjenkins » Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:39 pm

manwithtitties
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by manwithtitties » Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:12 pm

smjenkins wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:39 pm