NBD: Fender Special Edition Mustang PJ Bass - Tidepool with Pau Ferro Fingerboard

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
Maggieo
Expat
Expat

NBD: Fender Special Edition Mustang PJ Bass - Tidepool with Pau Ferro Fingerboard

Post by Maggieo » Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:28 pm

Damn you, Sweetwater. You sent me an email. It had an amazing bass in it for sale. I was drunk. Now I have this AWESOME offset bass!

Fender Mustang Bass, July 23, 2021 by Maggie Osterberg, on Flickr

I've only plugged it into the Vox AC4HW so far, but it plays great and had that great P/J thing going on. And the custom Sweetwater-only color, "Tidepool." Oh, and the neck is flamed all up and down the back.
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

smjenkins
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: NBD: Fender Special Edition Mustang PJ Bass - Tidepool with Pau Ferro Fingerboard

Post by smjenkins » Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:35 pm

That looks great! Congrats Maggie. It looks like the neck has some flame in it. Score! How close is Tidepool to LPB. Looks pretty close on my screen.

BTL
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: NBD: Fender Special Edition Mustang PJ Bass - Tidepool with Pau Ferro Fingerboard

Post by BTL » Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:00 pm

Beautiful! I have a new Jag-Stang en-route and I've been smitten by the Jaguar/Mustang thing in a way that I never expected to be. I now want to own one of each of the predecessors. I'm struggling to figure out what I might enjoy.

Yours looks pretty sweet!
Owner, Lowe Custom Guitars

HNB
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by HNB » Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:17 pm

Ooof that neck..... :?
Christopher
Lilith Guitars

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:29 pm

smjenkins wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:35 pm
That looks great! Congrats Maggie. It looks like the neck has some flame in it. Score! How close is Tidepool to LPB. Looks pretty close on my screen.
Tidepool is just a gradient or two lighter than LPB, at least that's what it looks like without an actual LPB guitar to compare it to.

It's really lightweight, too. 7.5lbs.
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:29 pm

HNB wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:17 pm
Ooof that neck..... :?
I need to get a shot of the back of the neck, too. Once again, waiting for decent light...

dc
Expat
Expat

Post by dc » Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:15 am

Maggieo wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:29 pm
Tidepool is just a gradient or two lighter than LPB, at least that's what it looks like without an actual LPB guitar to compare it to.
nice score! 8)

i've been intrigued with this Tidepool color of late, it's excellent! it seems to correlate to a color on the Gracey's finish chart called "Taos Turquoise," which they say Fender used on something in 1956:

http://www.madisonsmusicstore.com/finishes.asp
in the coldest night / huddled 'round the dying embers

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:28 am

dc wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:15 am
Maggieo wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:29 pm
nice score! 8)

i've been intrigued with this Tidepool color of late, it's excellent! it seems to correlate to a color on the Gracey's finish chart called "Taos Turquoise," which they say Fender used on something in 1956:

http://www.madisonsmusicstore.com/finishes.asp
I think Tidepool is right in-between the teal green metallic and the Taos Turquoise.

Bradley-Jazz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Bradley-Jazz » Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:42 am

That is very nice indeed!

I love my Sherwood one of these - enjoy!
All the cheeses....

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:50 am

Bradley-Jazz wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:42 am

Did yours come with a painfully dry fretboard? Mine is like touching a pine 2x4.

Bradley-Jazz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Bradley-Jazz » Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:53 am

Maggieo wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:50 am
Bradley-Jazz wrote:

Did yours come with a painfully dry fretboard? Mine is like touching a pine 2x4.
No, it was ok - I gave it a dose of f-one oil as I usually do, and it’s pretty silky.

Are you going to put flats on?
All the cheeses....

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:02 pm

Bradley-Jazz wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:53 am
Maggieo wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:50 am
Bradley-Jazz wrote:

No, it was ok - I gave it a dose of f-one oil as I usually do, and it’s pretty silky.

Are you going to put flats on?
I'm going to try it with the stock roundwounds for a while. My Univox Hi-Flyer has flats, and I'm going to compare the playing feel and stuff.

Univox Hi-Flyer Bass by Maggie Osterberg, on Flickr

Axolotl
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Axolotl » Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:59 pm

Happy NBD!! If this is your first Mustang bass, I'm sure you'll find it quite difficult to put down. These lil thunder machines rule. My 72 competition is one of my most cherished instruments.

Surfysonic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Surfysonic » Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:25 pm

Congrats and enjoy! That's a beauty! I love Mustang bass guitars! 8)
The doofus formerly known as Snorre...

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Sun Jul 25, 2021 2:28 pm

Axolotl wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:59 pm
Happy NBD!! If this is your first Mustang bass, I'm sure you'll find it quite difficult to put down. These lil thunder machines rule. My 72 competition is one of my most cherished instruments.
It is my first! And the P/J thing is rocking my world, too.