V-Mod II JM pickups

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
RaistMagus
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

V-Mod II JM pickups

Post by RaistMagus » Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:05 am

Hi guys. Those of you who have used the V-Mod II Jazzmaster pickups, how well do they do the vintage sound when in the low-output mode? How do they compare to AVRI62, AV65 and SD Antiquity pickups?

GreenKnee
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: V-Mod II JM pickups

Post by GreenKnee » Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:25 am

RaistMagus wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:05 am
Hi guys. Those of you who have used the V-Mod II Jazzmaster pickups, how well do they do the vintage sound when in the low-output mode? How do they compare to AVRI62, AV65 and SD Antiquity pickups?
From what I've heard they definitely sound like a Jazzmaster. So much so that when I heard Mogwai's latest album for the first time I thought to myself "there's definitely a Jazzmaster being played here." Lo and behold, Stuart's new toy is a AmProII in silverburst or whatever Fender are calling it.

mauri
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by mauri » Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:12 am

I’m really interested about this as well. I’ve been of thinking of replacing the V-MOD II pickups of my am pro 2 jazzmaster with either AV originals, Antiquity I or II. I was almost about to pull the trigger with A1, but if anyone has input about this topic I’d love to hear some feedback about this if possible. I’m looking for the original warm JM sound by using the antiquity I’s, but I’m just not sure.

My other guitar is JM LPB Jaguar (and one neglected JD Telecaster), so I was thinking if some pickup changing would benefit to widen the spectrum between my jazzmaster and jaguar.

GreenKnee
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by GreenKnee » Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:20 am

mauri wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:12 am
I’m really interested about this as well. I’ve been of thinking of replacing the V-MOD II pickups of my am pro 2 jazzmaster with either AV originals, Antiquity I or II. I was almost about to pull the trigger with A1, but if anyone has input about this topic I’d love to hear some feedback about this if possible. I’m looking for the original warm JM sound by using the antiquity I’s, but I’m just not sure.

My other guitar is JM LPB Jaguar (and one neglected JD Telecaster), so I was thinking if some pickup changing would benefit to widen the spectrum between my jazzmaster and jaguar.
If you don't like the pickups in your Jazzmaster then swap them out. If you think you should change them out because they might not be what you want I'd give them a chance first.

I've heard them a couple of times in person and on a few recordings, they definitely sound like a Jazzmaster to me

mauri
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by mauri » Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:05 pm

GreenKnee wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:20 am
If you don't like the pickups in your Jazzmaster then swap them out. If you think you should change them out because they might not be what you want I'd give them a chance first.

I've heard them a couple of times in person and on a few recordings, they definitely sound like a Jazzmaster to me
Yes, of course I'm giving them a chance. I just don't know how close they are as "Jazzmaster Sound" -wise. I read there was some dislikes with the first V-Mod -pickups so that's why I'm asking if anyone has some experience with these. So far so good for me, but if there is an alternative to get it sound even better, I'd like to know.

I just game back to guitar playing after 22 years of hiatus, hence the new guitars: I've always loved Fenders offset models and was finally able to get ones. So I'm a bit out of date what to expect; I've mainly played Telecasters and Stratocasters before. But fell in love with the Jazzmaster first time I tried it few months ago. I was actually looking for a Jaguar. Found one accidentally from outlet and bought it as well.