Jag-Stang is back!

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
Futuron
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Jag-Stang is back!

Post by Futuron » Thu Jul 08, 2021 11:37 pm

Ugliest guitar Fender has ever made :-X :k

Great for its fans, even the crazy ones that think the price is outrageous, considering it's a signature guitar with a few custom components. Also, you can get a backwards version

Jelestang
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Jelestang » Fri Jul 09, 2021 3:00 am

It's good to see you guys all treating each other with respect, those that aren't keen understand why others do, which is nice.

I've possibly been dumb, and put down a deposit on one here in the UK (already at a discounted price btw but still the wrong side of four figures). I always wanted one, and it goes beyond what it's like as a guitar, as anti-punk ethic as it might be, to certain fans and of certain ages, it has greater meaning. I missed out on my chance to buy from the second run, just couldn't afford it at the time and assumed the model would keep going for some time. By the time I was in a more comfortable position in life, I found the second hand prices had gone mental. I did eventually get hold of an early ('95 according to the serial number) red example which still got a fair bit, does play really nicely but it shows its age. Though I do like its authenticity, for what it's worth, it'd be nice if it was a bit tidier or if the wear and tear was my own. Agreeing with others here, the original quality and attention to detail is pretty shocking. Beyond just being a quirk of the guitar, the fit and finish of things like pickguard and control plate is woeful and the heel of the neck seems awfully exposed (I believe later versions are better planted?). For me this is an opportunity to have a better quality take on it based on more recent Mexican produce (I adore my HS Duo-Sonic!).

I definitely agree the new one is overpriced, and whilst we can compare to artist series models, that's what the Jaguar is for. Kurt's intention for the Jag-Stang was that it should be an accessible, quality and affordable instrument, and in today's terms that would far better suit the Squier brand. I guess ultimately the guitar is what it is, it was unfinished, half-developed quirk but a tangible link the man, myth and legend. I am very fortunate and I appreciate that I am in a position where at this point in my life I can manage to afford this one and what it means to me goes beyond the sum of its parts as an instrument, there could well be an argument that my Duo-Sonic is every bit as good and a fraction of the price...

BTL
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BTL » Fri Jul 09, 2021 4:05 am

Futuron wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 11:37 pm
Ugliest guitar Fender has ever made :-X :k

Great for its fans, even the crazy ones that think the price is outrageous, considering it's a signature guitar with a few custom components. Also, you can get a backwards version
The lefty option is a pretty big deal and certainly adds to the production line setup and tooling costs. Although these accommodations may add no direct value for the end user, I have no doubt that the Jag-Stang is more expensive to manufacture than other models, if only because of its limited production volume and market appeal, even here on OSG.
Last edited by BTL on Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Owner, Lowe Custom Guitars

Ret Samzzaj
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Ret Samzzaj » Fri Jul 09, 2021 5:14 am

Noticed this guitar on the Thomann website a couple of days ago... a whopping 1.319 Euro

https://www.thomann.de/intl/fender_kurt ... ng_snb.htm

Jazzmackster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jazzmackster » Fri Jul 09, 2021 6:12 am

gutter rock wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:02 pm
I remember when they originally came out, and me being a Nirvana fan, I thought I would have to get one. But, they never felt right to me in a store and I was a poor college student anyway! Always wanted to pick one up but for me it would have to be in the Squier range for me to think about it. Mostly because that chrome plate not following the body contour will always bother me and the angled pickups. I can let the angled single coil slide, but the angled humbucker just looks wrong to me. The other problem I have is this was based on the prototype that Cobain received. I think I heard he didn’t particularly like it and was going to make some modifications to it with Fender. This didn’t happen due to his death. So basically this is a rough draft of a Kurt designed guitar that he wasn’t finished with. That bugs me some. Glad it will be available for those that it is their jam though.
That’s my feeling as well. I mean, I get it. The Jag-Stang Fender released is the actual design sent to, and played by, Kurt (bridge and pickups aside). They were sending him the red one too. So that’s the one Fender will keep putting out as Kurt’s design.

But I’d like to see Fender put out a finished version, a sort-of “what he probably would have wanted it to end up as” concept.

Kurt may well have been over the whole thing and moved on to Teles and Mosrites but it’d be a nice project for them to take on.

dc
Expat
Expat

Post by dc » Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:12 am

my question is, can anyone appear onstage with one of these without looking like a sycophant or a dork. ;) i can see one turning up in the next Arcade Fire video, as a band that lost any sense of self-awareness years ago.

to be sure, i think these are shrewd for Fender from a sales standpoint, and terrific for collectors and fans. i can see buying a blue one myself, because Peter Buck :D but i also think the best possible outcome is that these turn out to be a limited edition, and they're eventually released by Squier in various non-original colors -- anything BUT Sonic and Fiesta. then the Jag-Stang as fun and functional guitar could live or die on its own merits, without all the cultural benefit/baggage of "teh Kurtz." if you can picture one in Sherwood Green, say, or Shoreline Gold or (!) sunburst, maybe it deserves to live.
Last edited by dc on Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
in the coldest night / huddled 'round the dying embers

HarlowTheFish
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by HarlowTheFish » Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:23 am

Jazzmackster wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 6:12 am
But I’d like to see Fender put out a finished version, a sort-of “what he probably would have wanted it to end up as” concept.
The second they even thought of that, all of OSG (and the rest of the internet) would be giving them shit for taking over Kurt's design and how it's not right and how they wish Fender would just put out a proper Jagstang. They can't win, so they might as well lose in the way that's a little nostalgia-baity and takes less work on their end.

Montyn
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Montyn » Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:41 am

dc wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:12 am
my question is, can anyone appear onstage with one of these without looking like a sycophant or a dork. ;) i can see one turning up in the next Arcade Fire video, as a band that lost any sense of self-awareness years ago.
Ruban from Unknown Mortal Orchestra pulls it off.

sal paradise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sal paradise » Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:50 am

Montyn wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:41 am
dc wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:12 am
Ruban from Unknown Mortal Orchestra pulls it off.
He looks seriously cool when he plays. Might be the effortless complexity of how he does it though.

Molly from Alvvays used to use one & it looked ok on her. https://youtu.be/9aRt3iTbh20
I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion?

Powdered Toast Man
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Powdered Toast Man » Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:06 am

Mad-Mike wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:20 pm
My thoughts....since my wife texted me this......

Secondly, as a fan of Cobain's, I find all this high dollar capitalization on his name without any real logic behind the target audience really stupid. Cobain's whole thing was playing CHEAP Guitars - Mustangs were $50 when he played them, his Vintage Jaguar was $350, and his Japanese Mustangs were brand new $699.99 guitars. Cobain was a "punk rocker" - punk rockers used what they could get and what they could afford, not the most glorified thing possible. Punk, in my mind, has been dead for decades and just a genre for hipsters who want to appear socially conscious. Since the Jaguar release, I've always seen it a bit bass-ackward, but hey, there's a song called "In Bloom" that pretty much says it all. Kinda shows you where the average Nirvana "Fans" head is. I agree that a Squier model would be a bit more fitting.
Yeah ok. So Cobain used his music to sell millions of records on major labels and then sat down with the Fender Custom Shop and designed a custom guitar from scratch. So DIY.

A lot of these posthumous signature pieces are run by the estate. Look at how many Jimi Hendrix "signature" guitars have been released in the last 30 years.

Jazzmackster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jazzmackster » Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:59 am

HarlowTheFish wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:23 am
Jazzmackster wrote:
The second they even thought of that, all of OSG (and the rest of the internet) would be giving them shit for taking over Kurt's design and how it's not right and how they wish Fender would just put out a proper Jagstang. They can't win, so they might as well lose in the way that's a little nostalgia-baity and takes less work on their end.
They could do both though! With the right marketing Fender could crush it with a Jag-Stang 2.0. But yeah it’s easier to just sell more normal Jag-Stangs and there likely isn’t any additional financial incentive for them to get creative.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:11 am

Jazzmackster wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:59 am
HarlowTheFish wrote:
Jazzmackster wrote:
They could do both though! With the right marketing Fender could crush it with a Jag-Stang 2.0. But yeah it’s easier to just sell more normal Jag-Stangs and there likely isn’t any additional financial incentive for them to get creative.
And make it available in Lake Placid Blue!
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

Ben17e
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Ben17e » Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:22 am

Maggieo wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:11 am
Jazzmackster wrote:
HarlowTheFish wrote:

I think if they are ever going to do something like that, the time is now with the Paranormal Squier line. A paranormal Jag-Stang mashup sort of thing offers some cool possibilities. That Squier line is one of the coolest things Fender has done in a long time in my opinion.

Highnumbers
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Highnumbers » Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:50 am

The massive price increase is to cover the cost of finally fixing that wonky pickguard/lower horn fit after 25 years.

Money well spent, ladies and gentlemen.

Jazzmackster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jazzmackster » Fri Jul 09, 2021 1:49 pm

Maggieo wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:11 am
Jazzmackster wrote:
HarlowTheFish wrote:

Yes please! :?