Jaguar advice for newbie

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Jaguar advice for newbie

Post by Embenny » Thu Jul 08, 2021 11:52 am

mattymatt wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:48 am
I hope you don't mind if I piggyback on this thread, seemed like a better place than starting a whole new thread. I've been itching to play a Jaguar since I got my Jazzmaster. I like the idea of less string tension and a different tone. I've got fairly large hands, so are there any other Jaguar reissues that have a larger or fuller neck profile? The only one I'm aware of is the Johnny Marr signature.

Edit - I recently missed out on a Johnny Marr Jaguar and was wondering if I should set my sights else where
The AVRI has the most substantial neck profile of any non-vintage Jaguar I've played, but in fairness, I haven't played an AO.

Personally though, I've had a recent revelation where I realized how easy and inexpensive (in the long run) it is to get a custom neck made to my specs. I took a gamble on a relatively obscure custom builder, PST Guitars, after seeing HNB's silverburst B&B neck they did. Scott, the owner, was super easy to deal with and built me the best-feeling neck I've ever felt on a new guitar for less money than a Warmoth of equivalent specs. He can do literally any profile, thickness, width, aesthetics, scale, etc.

I've bought, sold and traded so many guitars because they didn't quite feel right. Picking up whatever loaded body or full guitar you like and swapping the neck for something thicker than what is available commercially is a shortcut to the guitar you actually want to play.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

mattymatt
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by mattymatt » Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:10 am

Thanks, that is definitely food for thought. We don't have as many options for custom builds over here in the UK, but I'm sure I could find someone after doing some digging. I'm going to spend some time playing some different models & disappointing salesmen in order to get an idea of what feels best before I do anything

csg
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by csg » Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:18 pm

I've got fairly large hands and love the Marr Jaguar. I didn't realize I wanted a slightly wider fretboard until I had this guitar in hand. Totally amazing. It's absolutely my favorite guitar. I'd highly recommend trying to track one down to play or putting in a pre-order when it make sense. I know some folks on the board have had hit and miss experiences with them, but it does feel as though it is the Jaguar perfected.