Fender Mustang Search

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
figgypudding18
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Fender Mustang Search

Post by figgypudding18 » Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:58 pm

Hey All,

Contemplating getting a Fender Mustang. I'd love for it to be vintage spec in terms of the trem and switching. I'd prefer to buy a new model since I can only afford to have one electric right now, and I'd be nervous about what kind of work would need to be done on a vintage guitar. So I have been looking at two models--the current American Performer, and the Vintera 60's.

The performer sounds great, looks great, and looks a bit more quality to me than the Vintera. However, it doesn't have the traditional switching. How much would I miss out-of-phase sounds? Probably not much. Maybe. IDK! I ended up letting go of an American Pro Jazzmaster bc the lack of rhythm circuit bothered me. Can't think of a specific instance that I would want to play out-of-phase, but yeah.

The vintera ticks the vintage boxes, however--no matter how hard I try to like it, I would prefer to stay away from the pau ferro fretboard.

Any suggestions? Should I wait for a reissue, go vintage, settle for one of these? Thanks!

manwithtitties
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Fender Mustang Search

Post by manwithtitties » Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:22 pm

Luckily a push pull phase switch is an insanely easy mod. Might as well go for a performer, that penny color is really good.

Sauerkraut
Expat
Expat

Post by Sauerkraut » Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:29 am

I vote for getting the performer and modding it like tittiesman suggested. I hear only good things about them and it doesn’t have those stupid switches, the awful placement of which is the reason I don’t own a Mustang. The performer may very well be a better guitar than the original model.

BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BoringPostcards » Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:15 am

Sauerkraut wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:29 am
I vote for getting the performer and modding it like tittiesman suggested. I hear only good things about them and it doesn’t have those stupid switches, the awful placement of which is the reason I don’t own a Mustang. The performer may very well be a better guitar than the original model.
I play Mustangs, and the Performer models are the best I have ever laid hands on. They really are worth it. You won't miss the awkward switches.
Det er mig der holder traeerne sammen.

Downsman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Downsman » Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:37 am

Might be worth having a look around for Japanese models as well. I've got this Traditional 70s model, California Blue, with the full vintage specs, 7.25, rosewood fretboard, traditional switching. It's the lightest guitar I own, maybe due to basswood body, which I appreciate.

Took me quite a while to get the trem to stay in tune, but got there in the end. Very nearly hardtailed it but glad I kept going with it. It's all about getting the right cigar height, bridge height and string gauge so everything in balance.

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:47 am

Downsman wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:37 am
Might be worth having a look around for Japanese models as well. I've got this Traditional 70s model, California Blue, with the full vintage specs, 7.25, rosewood fretboard, traditional switching. It's the lightest guitar I own, maybe due to basswood body, which I appreciate.

Took me quite a while to get the trem to stay in tune, but got there in the end. Very nearly hardtailed it but glad I kept going with it. It's all about getting the right cigar height, bridge height and string gauge so everything in balance.

What gauges are you running on there? I tune to Eb and struggling to find the right balance between string tension and ease of playing (my hands arent as strong as they used to be)
Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

Downsman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Downsman » Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:05 am

johnnysomersett wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:47 am
What gauges are you running on there? I tune to Eb and struggling to find the right balance between string tension and ease of playing (my hands arent as strong as they used to be)
It came with 9s, and I switched to D'Addario Half Round 10s. I was going to jump straight to 11s but thought I'd see how it went with 10s first as I wanted a bit easier bending than I get on the Jag I have 11s on. Like I said, I nearly gave up as it got me closer, but still not there, but after raising the cigar a bit more I finally got the balance right. A pain because to make minor adjustments you have to loosen the strings completely, to avoid wearing the pivot points, and start again with the intonation etc.

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:13 am

Downsman wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:05 am
johnnysomersett wrote:
It came with 9s, and I switched to D'Addario Half Round 10s. I was going to jump straight to 11s but thought I'd see how it went with 10s first as I wanted a bit easier bending than I get on the Jag I have 11s on. Like I said, I nearly gave up as it got me closer, but still not there, but after raising the cigar a bit more I finally got the balance right. A pain because to make minor adjustments you have to loosen the strings completely, to avoid wearing the pivot points, and start again with the intonation etc.
Yeah, I went from 11's to 10's on my JMs thanks to my hands not ageing well and have been running 10's on the Mustang but they do definitely feel too loose. I've just ordered some 11's, hopefully that does the trick
Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

Downsman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Downsman » Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:16 am

johnnysomersett wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:13 am
Downsman wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:05 am
johnnysomersett wrote:
Yeah, I went from 11's to 10's on my JMs thanks to my hands not ageing well and have been running 10's on the Mustang but they do definitely feel too loose. I've just ordered some 11's, hopefully that does the trick
I can't say for sure, but I think half rounds are a bit stiffer compared to regular strings. On another guitar I switched between regular 10s and the half rounds, and ended up having to adjust the truss rod a bit, which I assume was due to increased tension rather than coincidence. And is possibly why the half round 10s worked on the Mustang.

Going back to the OP's original question of which Mustang, I do appreciate having the out of phase option. It's one way for me to justify having a Mustang, a Jag and a JM. There are certain positions you can't really switch between mid song with the vintage switching, as it takes moving both switches, but don't think I've ever wanted to do that. And I like the look of them.

Bradley-Jazz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Bradley-Jazz » Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:33 am

I think you need to decide what you really want…. Do you want something that looks vintage, in which case it’s the Vintera, or do you want a slightly more modern take, in which case I’m sure the Performers are brill (and as said, an out of phase switch is an easy mod). However, I don’t like the performer switch position - I keep knocking it when it’s there.

I have a Vintera and really like it - I have the sea foam one and it’s a lovely guitar. When and where I got it (last year, Uk) the Vinteras were also much cheaper than the performers- is that a consideration for you? The Japanese ones would be even more here I think.

The pau ferro feels great, and looks good on mine, but there is stuff like this if you think it’s too light… https://www.homeoftone.co.uk/collectio ... -relic-wax

Incidentally, I have 10s on mine - it’s my only short scale without 11s or more. The super bendy feel works for me on this one. Oh, and I do use the out of phase position, quite a bit.
All the cheeses....

Sauerkraut
Expat
Expat

Post by Sauerkraut » Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:23 am

The only other thing I can add from experience is that if you do decide to go the more traditional route and somehow bump into an affordable Japanese Mustang, the '65 reissues are a significant step up from other MIJ/CIJ Mustang models, even if they're often priced similarly. CIJ '65 Mustangs are very well made guitars. The difference is in the electronics, shielding, pickups, tuners, the wood and possibly the trem as well. So basically everything. I swapped the pickups for Novaks, out of habit, and noticed no improvement; the ones Fender Japan put in there were great to begin with. Prices are stupid nowadays though (case in point), and I wouldn't pay >750 dollars/euros for one. That's for personal reasons; I wouldn't pay more than that for a Mustang, as it wouldn't become my main guitar, and because mine cost me about €550 incl. VAT and shipping at the time, ordered through Ishibashi (their U-box)). But that was over 10 years ago, when you'd find these for around ¥50,000 (excl. VAT and shipping of course). There's one on Ishibashi now for ¥108,000. :wtf:
Anyway, in conclusion, for a '65 CIJ MG, anything under or around 750 would be a great deal considering what you're getting.
Last edited by Sauerkraut on Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

mackinawpeaches
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by mackinawpeaches » Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:37 am

I'm with johnnysomersett. Take a look at the Japanese reissues– either the '65 or '69. Very well made and the specs are pretty similar between the 2 models. The '65 has the white/plastic tuners and the '69 has the vintage Fender style you see on most other Japanese Fenders.

I picked up this 2004 '69 RI a couple of months ago and I absolutely adore it. I added a Mastery bridge but otherwise, it is completely stock.

Jazzmackster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jazzmackster » Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:16 am

I love Mustangs. Had an MG69 then an MG65, and now have a LPB Vintera.

The Vintera is my favorite. The pickups sound amazing and are well balanced with the bridge slightly hotter. The low-profile switches are such a nice touch too.

I looked at all kinds of models, including a used Performer for about what I paid on the Vintera, but ultimately wanted vintage specs. That said, I use the sliders to get both pickups in series instead of out of phase.

The pau ferro doesn’t bother me, but would on some colors. I’ve always liked the look of light/tan rosewood with LPB and appreciate interesting grain vs. uniform darkness. So it was actually a plus.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:33 am

Pro tip for the Mustang trem: load the strings from the front and wrap them under the bottom.

1964 Fender Mustang, September 12, 2017 by Maggie Osterberg, on Flickr

“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

Bradley-Jazz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Bradley-Jazz » Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:38 pm

Maggieo wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:33 am
Pro tip for the Mustang trem: load the strings from the front and wrap them under the bottom.

Nice pictures! Are those Fender Bullets on there? I’ve never tried them - do they wrap more smoothly around the cigar than regular twist/wrap strings?
All the cheeses....