MNGD: Multiple New Guitar Days! (LP pg. 3, PP JM pg. 6)

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
mediocreplayer
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: MNGD: Multiple New Guitar Days!

Post by mediocreplayer » Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:58 am

So when is the reveal?

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:02 am

mbene085 wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:14 am
Maggieo wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:00 am
My Brown Guitar?
I thought this was your brown guitar.

Oh, it is!! :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* All hail Nelvis!

There's this one, too:

Jazz Bass From Moscow, April, 09, 2015 by Maggie Osterberg, on Flickr

And this one:

Les Paul Standard, Mahogany top, Guitar, August 26, 2019 by Maggie Osterberg, on Flickr
Last edited by Maggieo on Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:03 am

mediocreplayer wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:58 am
So when is the reveal?
As soon as they arrive at my house! I am impatient.
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

DrQuasar
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DrQuasar » Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:12 pm

I agree the pink paisley JM (so sad I didn't pick one up when they were selling for $700-800).

On the other my knee jerk was another SG of some kind, but I'm also wondering if it's a 335 or some cool old Gretsch duo jet or something along those line. I just adore your collection and I think your taste in guitars is impeccable.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:40 pm

DrQuasar wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:12 pm
I agree the pink paisley JM (so sad I didn't pick one up when they were selling for $700-800).

On the other my knee jerk was another SG of some kind, but I'm also wondering if it's a 335 or some cool old Gretsch duo jet or something along those line. I just adore your collection and I think your taste in guitars is impeccable.
Thanks!!

Yeah, of course one is the Pink Paisley Jazzmaster! ;D

But, there's two more now!!! One will be sorta, but not really left field for me, and the other one just had some parts from the UK arrive today... :ph34r:

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Re: MNGD: Multiple New Guitar Days! (first one has arrived!)

Post by Maggieo » Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:09 pm

AND NOW...!

There may have been hints over in another thread, what with me talking up the Epiphone's '59 Les Paul Outfit. It's a collaboration with Gibson's Custom Shop, and it's got all the things I'd do to an Epi LP: Burstbucker pickups; CTS 500k pots mounted directly onto the body and Mallory 150 tone capacitors; Switchcraft jack & switch; full maple top; long neck tenon; all that good stuff.

The Burstbuckers sound great- Larry was spot-on about that. It might just be honeymoon syndrome, but I might like them better than the DiMarzio 47th Anniversay PAFS in my all-Mahogany LP. It came with a set-up from the music store, which is nicely dialed in. I tuned it up and played it for two straight hours, doing everything from Dave Grohl licks, Peter Anderson twang, Fripp freakouts, and Andy Partridge/Dave Gregory oddness. It took to them like the proverbial duck.

And now, the photos:

Epiphone '59 Les Paul Outfit by Maggie Osterberg, on Flickr

Epiphone '59 Les Paul Outfit by Maggie Osterberg, on Flickr

Epiphone 59 Les Paul Outfit by Maggie Osterberg, on Flickr

Last edited by Maggieo on Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: MNGD: Multiple New Guitar Days! (first one has arrived! pg. 3)

Post by Larry Mal » Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:55 pm

Looks great! Can you explain what the controls mounted directly to the body means, though?

Do you mean without them being attached to that shielding plate?
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BoringPostcards » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:05 pm

Larry Mal wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:55 pm
Looks great! Can you explain what the controls mounted directly to the body means, though?

Maybe she's referring to those ghastly PCB boards that were being used on Gibsons for a while. My 2013 SG isn't wired with one. I was relieved. Do any of your Gibsons have it?
Det er mig der holder traeerne sammen.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:27 pm

Well, that certainly looks like the most ideal Epiphone LP I've ever seen. Never heard of that model, but it looks amazing and those specs are perfect. I can't believe they're no longer hamstrings Epiphones with subpar parts. That looks every bit as good as a Gibson in every way. Congrats!
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:32 pm

BoringPostcards wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:05 pm
Larry Mal wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:55 pm

Maybe she's referring to those ghastly PCB boards that were being used on Gibsons for a while. My 2013 SG isn't wired with one. I was relieved. Do any of your Gibsons have it?
No, that was a quick thing with Gibson and I guess I didn't get any guitars with that in there. I did have a couple with the Quick Connect terminals, though, which I liked.

I wonder if they are referring to this arrangement:

https://reverb.com/item/1343131-vintage ... n-les-paul

Which is a good thing in my opinion- you don't usually see that back plate, but I still like that they arrange the controls on the metal plate there.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:46 pm

Yeah, there's none of that PCB board or shield crap. Just pots screwed into the guitar. No muss, no fuss. And they're rock solid.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:48 pm

mbene085 wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:27 pm
Well, that certainly looks like the most ideal Epiphone LP I've ever seen. Never heard of that model, but it looks amazing and those specs are perfect. I can't believe they're no longer hamstrings Epiphones with subpar parts. That looks every bit as good as a Gibson in every way. Congrats!
Thanks!! Of course, it's a one-off limited run from 2020 done in conjunction with Gibson's Custom Shop, so god forbid that they're easy to find and buy.

It's easily on par with my LP Standard or any Tokai or Orville.

MKR
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MKR » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:57 pm

Very cool les Paul. Out of curiosity is that rosewood or pau ferro or Indian laurel? Looks real nice ..

Surfysonic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Surfysonic » Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:41 pm

Congrats! I've been impressed with some Epi's of late. I'm GASsing for an Epi Les Paul Special even though I really don't need one since I have my Gibson Les Paul Special Tribute...but the Epi version is very nice. A friend stopped by a few weeks back and brought his over to compare with my Gibby. Thicker neck on the Epi but both sounded great. Compared to the Gibson Les Paul Special (not the Tribute), I'd rather get the Epi.
The doofus formerly known as Snorre...

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:51 pm

MKR wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:57 pm
Very cool les Paul. Out of curiosity is that rosewood or pau ferro or Indian laurel? Looks real nice ..
Indian Laurel, which I like a whole lot more than Pao Ferro. It looks and feels more like Rosewood, IMO.