NGD American Original '65 Thin Skin Jaguar Wildwood Edition

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
PorkChop
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: NGD American Original '65 Thin Skin Jaguar Wildwood Edition

Post by PorkChop » Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:20 pm

Rockabilly69 wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:31 pm
PorkChop wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:51 am
Dig the guitar OP! And dig your Project too.

A few months ago I got a nice deal on a custom shop Jag. The neck was too thin and I randomly looked at Wildwood and they had a used ‘65 like the OPs. Big fan of Wildwood listing neck sizes. The custom shop does have deeper and more sculpted contours. The finish might have been cured better or it could be that since it’s a few years old it gassed out more. I liked the sound a bit more on it. But, I assume different pickups. The Wildwoods are so close. And I’m much happier with the thin skin. I’d say my experience is like some people say about the Mastery vibrato. Along the lines of “10% better, but not worth the price.”
I like my project Jag better than any Jag I've played yet, and it actually cost me less to put together than the used Wildwood, but now that I've had the thin skin awhile, I'm getting to know it more and more, and liking it. I ordered a Halon bridge and trem for it though, as I think those two parts are what put the project Jag over the top, I will post back with my results. The pickups are very twangy on this Jag, and I may want more muscular, but they do blend well with other guitars, listen how they sound in this clip which I finally turned into a song...

https://soundcloud.com/daniel-weldon-1/i-wanna-love-you

And I think I may remove the mute and stick it in the case.
I wanted to try the halon stuff. It seemed like a rabbit hole. Maybe I missed something or wasn’t searching my best. I’m in the states not sure if that plays into it. I’ve failed to a higher percentage than I would like to admit with modding my guitars. Gotten further away more often than closer. It’s a crap shoot. I did the Mastery route with my first Jag. I have the stuff in the bag to put on. You may inspired me to transition the OEM stuff to a CV or some other project. I’ve enjoyed your documentation of your journey.

trb1
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by trb1 » Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:05 am

Rockabilly69 wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:21 pm
trb1 wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:31 am
Rockabilly69 wrote:
Mon May 31, 2021 7:14 pm
What's the neck thickness, first and 12th frets? Great looking jaguar!
Sorry I never saw this question... .830 1st - .960 12th
Thanks for the response... This is really helpful information for me. Appreciated!

Rockabilly69
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Rockabilly69 » Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:02 pm

[/quote]I wanted to try the halon stuff. It seemed like a rabbit hole. Maybe I missed something or wasn’t searching my best. I’m in the states not sure if that plays into it. I’ve failed to a higher percentage than I would like to admit with modding my guitars. Gotten further away more often than closer. It’s a crap shoot. I did the Mastery route with my first Jag. I have the stuff in the bag to put on. You may inspired me to transition the OEM stuff to a CV or some other project. I’ve enjoyed your documentation of your journey.
[/quote]

Yeah your OEM stuff should drop right into one of the new CV jags! Go for it!

The only real way to get info on the Halon Offset stuff is through their Facebook page (btw I'm in the States too, Utah). I know alot of people scoff at that, but I've had nothing but a good experience working with them. As I said earlier, I wasn't going to replace the American hardware, but curiosity has got the best of me, so, I am looking forward to see if the Halon stuff will make the new Jag any better than it already is :)