do we think prices will come back down to some semblance of reality?

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: do we think prices will come back down to some semblance of reality?

Post by JSett » Sat Jul 10, 2021 12:38 am

Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

sal paradise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sal paradise » Sat Jul 10, 2021 3:43 am

I wonder what will happen in 10 years. Presume the market will be flooded with boomer inheritance sales.

By then people will be trying to shift 90s Encore & Stagg guitars as vintage.
I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion?

Sauerkraut
Expat
Expat

Post by Sauerkraut » Sat Jul 10, 2021 4:09 am

sal paradise wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 3:43 am
I wonder what will happen in 10 years. Presume the market will be flooded with boomer inheritance sales.

Well, they're already asking ridiculous money for 80s MIJ Fenders.

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Sat Jul 10, 2021 12:35 pm

Sauerkraut wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 3:37 am
3k Musicmaster over here

And a 21k JM
Utter madness

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Sat Jul 10, 2021 4:14 pm

sal paradise wrote:

I think the crazier thing will be to deny that 90's stuff will be vintage in 2031.

I just picked up an '86 AVRI strat in a trade, and I'll be damned if that's not a vintage guitar. It's got 35 years of hard wear on its wood and nitro, and feels just any of the 60s Fenders or early 80s G&Ls I've owned.

If 60s stuff was vintage in the 90s, 90s stuff is most definitely vintage by the 2030s.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

Wucan
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Wucan » Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:04 pm

mbene085 wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 4:14 pm
sal paradise wrote:

I think the crazier thing will be to deny that 90's stuff will be vintage in 2031.

I just picked up an '86 AVRI strat in a trade, and I'll be damned if that's not a vintage guitar. It's got 35 years of hard wear on its wood and nitro, and feels just any of the 60s Fenders or early 80s G&Ls I've owned.

If 60s stuff was vintage in the 90s, 90s stuff is most definitely vintage by the 2030s.
Of course, being "vintage" doesn't mean it will always command premium prices. Right now you can certainly still find esteemed guitars for cheap - if you're into pointy guitars Ibanez/Charvel/Jackson have well built stuff from the 80's for a fraction of their inflation-adjusted retail prices still. And Lord knows how many 70's/80's offset clones out of Japan you can find out there without breaking the bank.

Mechanical Birds
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mechanical Birds » Sun Jul 11, 2021 12:37 am

Sauerkraut wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 4:09 am
sal paradise wrote:

Well, they're already asking ridiculous money for 80s MIJ Fenders.
Yeah I dunno how this market is a thing to be honest. People listing things for insane indefensible amounts is one thing, but people buying them at a pace that even comes close to warranting these price hikes is a whole different ballgame. Is that happening, are people enabling this shit? I mean, obviously, some people are, but it seems like that should be the exception and not the rule.

Pricing Univox/Guyatone/Epiphone ETs/random MIJ things at $1,000 is mindblowing enough. Pricing Jazzmasters and Jaguars for more than double what they were a year ago is just disgusting.

I welcome the mass boomer extinction sale we’ve all been conditioned to expect and hope it happens sooner rather than later, if at all.

seenoevil II
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by seenoevil II » Sun Jul 11, 2021 6:59 am

I'm nor so sure the great boomer blow out will be a thing anymore.

Joe Bonamassa fascinates me because I believe he's the first "classical" blues musician. What I mean by that is that he's totally divorced from the genre's origins and only plays in gentille settings for gentille audiences as a intellectual pursuit.

If you go on Instagram (and I'm assuming tiktok but I refuse to sign up for that), there are hoards of young people learning and playing classic rock and blues while collecting vintage gear. I think the bl@@z rocker is a thing that's here to stay. There were only so many vintage guitars made in the 20th century. So when the human population quadruples in 60 years, a niche interest like blues riffing idiocy can hoover them all up.

I think growing wealth inequality means that older guitars will be snatched up by investor groups, their value will be over hyped, and ultimately they'll be leased and loaned to promising young SVR students at the conservatoire.

Prices never come down, they only go up. I know there are specific exceptions to this, but they prove the rule. It's really really frustrating because I had some things I want to buy once I could go shop for them in person again. The up side, if there is one, is that for a lot of models, buying brand new is about the best deal out there now. And that certainly makes the shopping experience easier. But those prices will be increasing shortly.

The whole world decided that all guitars are 100-1000 more expensive now, and because nobody wants to be the chump that undersells their gear, that's just the way it is now.

I keep running down the field, but they keep moving the goal posts.
If it wasn't for disappointment, I wouldn't have any appointments.

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Sun Jul 11, 2021 8:54 am

seenoevil II wrote:
Sun Jul 11, 2021 6:59 am

Joe Bonamassa fascinates me because I believe he's the first "classical" blues musician. What I mean by that is that he's totally divorced from the genre's origins and only plays in gentille settings for gentille audiences as a intellectual pursuit.

If you go on Instagram (and I'm assuming tiktok but I refuse to sign up for that), there are hoards of young people learning and playing classic rock and blues while collecting vintage gear. I think the bl@@z rocker is a thing that's here to stay. There were only so many vintage guitars made in the 20th century. So when the human population quadruples in 60 years, a niche interest like blues riffing idiocy can hoover them all up.

I think growing wealth inequality means that older guitars will be snatched up by investor groups, their value will be over hyped, and ultimately they'll be leased and loaned to promising young SVR students at the conservatoire.

Prices never come down, they only go up. I know there are specific exceptions to this, but they prove the rule. It's really really frustrating because I had some things I want to buy once I could go shop for them in person again. The up side, if there is one, is that for a lot of models, buying brand new is about the best deal out there now. And that certainly makes the shopping experience easier. But those prices will be increasing shortly.

The whole world decided that all guitars are 100-1000 more expensive now, and because nobody wants to be the chump that undersells their gear, that's just the way it is now.

just remember the rule, if you mention joe bonamassa, i have to post this picture from "jimmy neutron happy family happy hour"

the idea of a future where blooze lawyers are like classical musicians kinda scares me. state funded noodling....... *shivers* the idea of a room full of balding men with ponytails with vintage strats/tele's/les pauls all doing bloozified covers of contemporary songs then driving home in their winga dinga cars..... puts the fear of god into me.

i do also want to say something to any one of these boomer blooze laywer investment types who corner younger guitar players in guitar shops then start lecturing them. we're not killing the vintage guitar market, we just can't afford the prices you're trying to charge us. most my friends want good guitars, most my friends like old cars, most my friends want a house, but your speculations over the years combined with wage suppression and inflation mean it's became a pipe dream for so many. you want young people to buy the stuff your selling? drop the price and vote in politicians who actually will give a living wage.
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:39 am

seenoevil II wrote:
Sun Jul 11, 2021 6:59 am

I'm kinda hoping that, eventually, the market will become so over-saturated with unfathomably overpriced guitars that the market will just ultimately stop. If literally no-one except speculative investors can afford these things then, at some point, they'll all be looking at each other trying to sell their overpriced vintage guitars to one another and none of them buying due to the fact they all know the prices arent going to make them any money. Almost like a marketplace stalemate. That, or it'll just become a merry-go-round of them literally swapping guitars for each others' money and not actually turning a profit.

There will, however, clearly be some element of movement as people save up enough, or come into some money and finally buy that "$20'000 Jazzmaster" - which would then immediately embolden the market and cement the prices even firmer. But if the market is basically not moving, surely they'll HAVE to start dropping a little?

I do sometimes fear that I am enabling the price madness though as I don't give it a second thought if I'm slightly overpaying as long as I'm getting the shiny new toy I desire.

sugarandopium
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sugarandopium » Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:38 pm

I took an extended break from playing music, 5 years, I’m an old fucker that’s been playing since 13 so 5yr isn’t much.

Every now and then I’d check in and see what new offsets were out. I noticed that VM baritone jazzmaster and said I should get one of them. Never did. Now it’s discontinued. Was ready to grab one used and man, they are selling for a grand!? W. T. F.

Crazy shit going on....

I’m just shocked.... I think they were 400 new when they weeelut just a few years ago..
I’d get it if it were a fender that went for 700 new.
In the 00s I bought and sold half a dozen of the mij baritone jags (both the bottom master aka: vi special, and also the black one) none of them appreciated 150% in a few years or anywhere near that!?

Granted they were only 28” scale and hardtails , but we didn’t have all these easily available and affordable 30” scale six strings those days.
Just the vintage, the custom shops, the 90s mij, and the (late 00s?) Japan VIs that were never sold in the US.
So it was pretty sweet in those days to have a fender offset that could handle VI tuning!

sugarandopium
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sugarandopium » Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:42 pm

I mean there’s one eBay for 1500$ right now, for a 2018 squier!

sal paradise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sal paradise » Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:49 am

Denmark St hasn’t been home to a bargain in a long time but £8k for a ‘69 Tele is a bit silly

I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion?

Savolover
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Savolover » Wed Jul 14, 2021 4:56 am

… and how about the price of 335s?!