do we think prices will come back down to some semblance of reality?

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: do we think prices will come back down to some semblance of reality?

Post by Larsongs » Wed Mar 02, 2022 6:23 am

johnnysomersett wrote:
Tue Mar 01, 2022 11:01 pm
pakhan wrote:
Tue Mar 01, 2022 8:51 pm
But I suppose for some folks who like haggling <in general> it may be a way to pass time- especially during the pandemic where there is maybe less to do otherwise?
There's haggling, then theres lowballing. Lowballing is a fine line and WAY too many people have lost all sense with how to start the haggling process - or even read ads in general.

"What's your lowest price?" (Like I'm gonna tell you my lowest price at the start)
"Will you take <insert offer of half the asked price>?"
"I know it says no trades, but..."
"I've only got ... So can you do me a deal"

None of these are acceptable ways to deal with someone, and mostly are pretty rude. I don't waste much time with people like that anymore and go instantly monosyllabic or send screenshots of the advert with whatever dumb thing they've asked circled in red.

I hate FB marketplace but there are definitely the better deals to be had and it's free to list and sell
Many Sellers have fallen in love with their Gear & for all kinds of reasons in their heart & mind. They think it should sell for twice as much as it’s worth. Ever met a Dealer who offered Retail? Why shouldn’t anyone else who has Green $$$$ try to buy at the lowest Price possible.. That’s just part of buying’ & selling’…… There’s an old saying, “You don’t ask, you don’t get”…..

That said, there are tactful ways to communicate….

tamerofbantha
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by tamerofbantha » Sun Apr 03, 2022 5:06 pm

LOL ike & ike's guitar barn just listed a fucking 62 jag for 20k USD

don't believe me? check the verb

are they going to start marketing NFTs next? serious question

seenoevil II
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by seenoevil II » Thu May 19, 2022 6:20 am

I am starting to think that we're seeing a bit of a "sell off" letting prices fall again. I'm seeing a lot of "asset" type guitars being listed at competitive prices.

The cost of living and people losing in the markets and/ or crypto might mean the 3rd or 4th Gibson has to go and go fast. And of course this creates a more competitive buyers market.

Plus, the supply chain is catching up a bit so the speculative pricing on new and desirable models is easing a bit.

Could be my imagination.
If it wasn't for disappointment, I wouldn't have any appointments.

sal paradise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sal paradise » Thu May 19, 2022 6:50 am

A global recession might bring down the low end of high-end guitars. But it will probably push the price of 60s guitars even higher as people invest in them over markets or buildings. Maybe.
I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion?

luau
Admin
Admin

Post by luau » Thu May 19, 2022 7:10 am

seenoevil II wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 6:20 am
I am starting to think that we're seeing a bit of a "sell off" letting prices fall again. I'm seeing a lot of "asset" type guitars being listed at competitive prices.

The cost of living and people losing in the markets and/ or crypto might mean the 3rd or 4th Gibson has to go and go fast. And of course this creates a more competitive buyers market.

Plus, the supply chain is catching up a bit so the speculative pricing on new and desirable models is easing a bit.

Could be my imagination.
Maybe, but the people that buy like that don't care about cost of living stuff. Nobody uses 500 gallons of gas or drinks 1000 gallons of milk a month so at normal scales it's not even a blip on their radar. People buying expensive guitars that are being hurt in a meaningful way by what's happening with the stock market or inflation need their heads examined. My guess is there aren't that many of them.

seenoevil II
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by seenoevil II » Thu May 19, 2022 7:36 am

luau wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 7:10 am
. People buying expensive guitars that are being hurt in a meaningful way by what's happening with the stock market or inflation need their heads examined. My guess is there aren't that many of them.
Really? I feel like plenty of folks who aren't kajillionaires own expensive guitars. I don't disagree that we need our heads examined, but isn't owning ludicrously expensive gear kinda the whole foundation of guitar culture?

To that point, I'm seeing a lot of postings out of Nashville which supports my hypothesis that a goodly portion of these are working musicians. That and the highly play worn appearance of some of these guitars.

But then I'm referring to 1-4K guitars. If you're talking about 10K+ vintage guitars, then you're probably correct. Although, I'd argue that they really need their heads examined to pay that much at all.

luau
Admin
Admin

Post by luau » Thu May 19, 2022 7:48 am

seenoevil II wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 7:36 am
luau wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 7:10 am
. People buying expensive guitars that are being hurt in a meaningful way by what's happening with the stock market or inflation need their heads examined. My guess is there aren't that many of them.
Really? I feel like plenty of folks who aren't kajillionaires own expensive guitars. I don't disagree that we need our heads examined, but isn't owning ludicrously expensive gear kinda the whole foundation of guitar culture?

To that point, I'm seeing a lot of postings out of Nashville which supports my hypothesis that a goodly portion of these are working musicians. That and the highly play worn appearance of some of these guitars.

But then I'm referring to 1-4K guitars. If you're talking about 10K+ vintage guitars, then you're probably correct. Although, I'd argue that they really need their heads examined to pay that much at all.
I'm thinking 2.5k - 10k, vintage or otherwise, but maybe it doesn't really matter that much. It just struck me that enough selling for these reasons to push the market down a bit implies a lot of previous buying that was really pretty economically risky for the buyers. It's entirely possible I'm giving people more credit then they deserve when it comes to reasonable spending and you may well be correct in your general assessment.

seenoevil II
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by seenoevil II » Thu May 19, 2022 12:02 pm

luau wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 7:48 am
I'm thinking 2.5k - 10k, vintage or otherwise, but maybe it doesn't really matter that much. It just struck me that enough selling for these reasons to push the market down a bit implies a lot of previous buying that was really pretty economically risky for the buyers. It's entirely possible I'm giving people more credit then they deserve when it comes to reasonable spending and you may well be correct in your general assessment.
Hmm. Yes. At 2.5k you're certainly reaching the flat part of the diminishing return on investment chart. At least in terms of a tool for music making. Too much more than that and you're shelling out dough for intangibles that you just really appreciate (rarity, vintage etc.).

Although I'll add the nuance that the risk of buying expensive gear when not overly well off isn't so much a risk. Certain brands and models depreciate a little, then more or less keep up with inflation through the years. Not as safe as an EE bond, but a Gibson SG can be sold for rent in a pinch. If you're gonna have a guitar anyway, y'know.