NBD...?

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
LVC
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

NBD...?

Post by LVC » Fri May 14, 2021 6:35 am

Okay, what's:
- Pink,
- Fun,
- Cheap,
- Offset,
- Short scale,
- Virtually impossible to find in this color at this point,
- Mine since this morning?

...A Squier Bronco bass FSR Shell Pink :w00t:

I blame Flurko's recent thread for this :D

I've been low-key GASing for a Bronco bass for years, keeping an eye on ads for a dirt cheap one to pop up locally. Then last year the shell pink FSR came out and apparently flew off the shelves... I only heard about it after it went out of stock at all the major European online stores. Bummer.
Flurko's thread rekindled the GAS and I went on an online chase for a shell pink one. One day during my lunch break at work I located one in a French shop and several more in a Czech one... and by the time I got back home in the evening they were all gone :derp: I finally tracked this one down in Portugal. The store had a weird checkout process in which you submit your order and wait for the store to get back to you with an invoice and shipping options, and it took them a week to reply ― at which point I had all but given up hope on it.

But it finally arrived this morning... and it's amazing 8)

I'm considering changing the pickup (although I haven't decided what for yet), and possibly the bridge and tuners. Not because they suck, but because this bass is such a fun modding platform.
Last edited by LVC on Fri May 14, 2021 9:59 am, edited 3 times in total.
Create art, not content

SignoftheDragon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: NBD...?

Post by SignoftheDragon » Fri May 14, 2021 6:38 am

Way cool! That color combo looks great!

Flurko
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Flurko » Fri May 14, 2021 6:59 am

Well done, and I won't apologize for inspiring this purchase ! ;D
This is waaay cooler than the standard boring colors.
Mine has become one of my most played instruments, I really love it.

LVC
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by LVC » Sat May 15, 2021 5:30 am

Yes, there's something about the shell pink/white/untinted maple color combo that looks just perfect, especially with the Mustang body shape. That's why I wanted one in that color so badly.
Black ones look pretty good too with a black pickguard... That would have been my second choice.

This is the first short scale bass I've ever owned ― except for my Squier VI, but that's quite different ― and I love how comfy it feels. I can't put it down! :w00t:
Create art, not content

LVC
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by LVC » Mon May 17, 2021 3:09 pm

After quite a bit of playing in the last three days, an in-depth setup and some reading, here are my revised plans for this bass:
  • I was worried about the two saddle bridge but it's not too bad. While intonation is not spot on I was able to dial it in close enough. That's a good thing, because the bridge has 17mm string spacing, and as far as I know there aren't many alternatives.
  • The stock tuners work fine, but a Fender/Squier bass demands cloverleaf-style ones. I need to take measurements and find out how much work is involved for the conversion.
  • I actually like the stock pickup. I already have a PJ Jag bass and an Epi EB-3 which cover a lot of sonic ground, and the Bronco has a really distinctive tone that I quite enjoy. But ― and my ears might be deceiving me ― it seems to me the E and G strings are a tad quieter than the other two. Options I'm considering trying include a rail single coil and a '51 Precision-style pickup ― but string spacing might be a problem with this one. Also, I once was lent a Bronco with a lipstick in it at a pub jam night and it sounded very cool to my ears... worth a try as well.
  • This bass works great for surf and other vintagey styles IMO, and it needs a mute. I made a makeshift one with a block of foam, but I would like a both nicer looking and more convenient system eventually — something that could be easily disengaged, unlike on old P and J basses.
  • At some point in the future I want to try flats on it, but for now I'm fine with rounds.
Create art, not content