NGD: Fender American Original '60s Jazzmaster...

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
Surfysonic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

NGD: Fender American Original '60s Jazzmaster...

Post by Surfysonic » Wed May 12, 2021 11:15 am

Ever since I had to sell off my '63 Fender Jazzmaster, I've been jonesing for another MIA Jazzmaster. They're fairlly scarce right now while some are available by greedy price gougers...stupid price gougers. :squint: Fender sold a lot in the past year so it may be a while before more are produced (later this year I think).

Anyhoo, I stumbled upon this Ocean Turquoise beauty while obsessive- I mean, studiously scanning the usual haunts. This Fender AO '60s Jazzmaster popped on Reverb as a B-stock scratch & dent. The reduced price was significant enough to jump on it. Boo-boos be damned, I say! :P Plays and sounds great as expected.

I'm not sure if it's a true B-stock or was a return. When I switched out the fugly stock pickguard for my Spitfire pickguard, I noticed that the plastic film on the stock pickguard was removed, with remnants under the control switch and knob nuts/washers. I suppose someone in the store might have done it. ???

I put some fresh D'Addario 11s on it and swapped out the stock bridge with my last StayTrem 9.5" bridge.

Front boo-boo...

White spots on the right side of the back of the guitar are just light reflections and big back boo-boo (some call it "character" :thumbsup:...

With my other MIA Fender guitars...

Can't forget my MIA Parallel Universe Volume II Tele Mágico and Jazz Strat...when organizing/cleaning out our garage, I found these unused extra Diamond Life guitar hangar slats, so I put them up the other day. Next to the Parallel Universe II guitars are my Ren Höekmaster and Stimpy'Stang, with Comic Book Guy keeping vigil.

The doofus formerly known as Snorre...

Veitchy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: NGD: Fender American Original '60s Jazzmaster...

Post by Veitchy » Wed May 12, 2021 9:00 pm

Awesome guitar that's clearly in some good company. I love that tort on it. It reminds me a lot of the AO JM that Shelby Pollard/Black Bobbin have been posting a lot lately. That also has a similarly yellow tort.

Surfysonic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Surfysonic » Wed May 12, 2021 9:28 pm

Thanks! Yeah, I bought the Spitfire pickguard from another OSG member some time back (and have bought a few Spitfire pickguards directly from Mark over the years). It's been on my refin'd surf green Vintera 60's JM but I think it looks spiffy with the Ocean Turquoise. I'm going to toss on a mint green pickguard on the Vintera for now.

I had put Fender Pure Vintage '65 pickups on my Vintera JM and the Jazz Strat comes stock with them, so I might swap out these stock PV '65 pickups on the AO '60s JM with some Novak JM-V pickups. I definitely want the vintage tone on this beastie.

Has anyone else tried the Novak JM-V pickups? How do they compare the PV '65 or Seymour Duncan Antiquity I for Jazzmaster pickups? I'll hunt down some YouTube demos in any case. 8)

kdines
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by kdines » Sat May 29, 2021 12:56 pm

That is indeed a beauty! As I search for my first JM, I think I have it narrowed to an Am Pro II or an AO. I’m not immediately drawn to the bound neck...but it could grow on me. The AM Pro II would need a rhythm circuit added, though. As you say, there are very, very few to choose from and supply seems almost nonexistent. Take care - Kevin

Powdered Toast Man
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Powdered Toast Man » Sat May 29, 2021 2:40 pm

Very nice! Congrats!

I need an AO60's JM to complete my AO60's collection. I've got the Tele, Strat, and the Jag. Best guitars ever!

Surfysonic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Surfysonic » Sat May 29, 2021 7:59 pm

Thanks, kdines! I don't mind the bound neck at all (I could take or leave bound necks). I've had an AmPro II but I just didn't care for the push/pull pot that stuck out so high in either position - probably an easy fix to adjust but I wasn't into the stock pickups so much so I ended up moving it on. The panorama tremolo was very nice and I do miss the pretty miami blue finish though. :?

Still, I'm much happier with the AO '60s JM. I ended up putting in some Brandonwound hum-cancelling Jazzmaster pickups - sounds great! It was a fairly quick turn-around from ordering and these pickups are definitely on par with Fralin and Novak (I have sets of each on other JMs). Doesn't hurt these are a little less expensive, too. ;)

Thanks, PTM! I sort of have the same going for the VIntera series - I have a Strat (modified), Vintera 50's Tele, and Vintera '60s JM but since I recently got a Squier Classic Vibe '70s Jag and have my modded Squier VM Jag, I decided I don't need a Vintera or AO Jag. Since my #1 is my '63 Jaguar, I figured I'm all set for MIA Jags...

or so I thought... :fp: Never say never, I guess. I've just done a trade deal with another OSG'er and will pickup another MIA Jag tomorrow - details to follow afterwards. :whistle:

mediocreplayer
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mediocreplayer » Sun May 30, 2021 4:13 am

Surfysonic wrote:
Sat May 29, 2021 7:59 pm
or so I thought... :fp: Never say never, I guess. I've just done a trade deal with another OSG'er and will pickup another MIA Jag tomorrow - details to follow afterwards. :whistle:
ha! is the Fiesta Red Marr on the classifieds going to make a little stop by your place?

Surfysonic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Surfysonic » Sun May 30, 2021 5:14 am

Maaaaaaybeeee!?! :whistle:
Yes. Johnny's returning home to me and Scout is getting my Fender Parallel Universe Vol. II Jazz Strat. I sold the Marrguar to Scout last year. I've got a sentimental attachment to it as my guitar tech refin'd the Fiesta Red for me. Also, it's a fantastic guitar. So is the Jazz Strat, so it's a win/win trade. :)