Incoming NGD *Kenny Powers Saw Killer Impression Voice* WANNA PLAY A GAME?

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
Mechanical Birds
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Incoming NGD *Kenny Powers Saw Killer Impression Voice* WANNA PLAY A GAME?

Post by Mechanical Birds » Tue May 11, 2021 9:07 pm

A guessing game that is.

1. It’s Offset
2. Not a Fender or a variant on any of their designs
3. Reissue of an old thing that’s pretty iconic but not visible on a ton of old records or anything
4. Originals are expensive because one contemporary guy plays them often
5. Fuck every Republican

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Incoming NGD *Kenny Powers Saw Killer Impression Voice* WANNA PLAY A GAME?

Post by Embenny » Tue May 11, 2021 9:30 pm

I'm gonna guess that the guitar is a Guild Thunderbird and the guitarist is Dan Auerbach, but I don't know how that connects to clue #5.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

CorporateDisguise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by CorporateDisguise » Wed May 12, 2021 2:10 am

It has to be that BC Rich that Uncle Jesse plays on full house.

SignoftheDragon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by SignoftheDragon » Wed May 12, 2021 1:04 pm

Some kind of Firebird?

SignoftheDragon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by SignoftheDragon » Wed May 12, 2021 1:04 pm

CorporateDisguise wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 2:10 am
It has to be that BC Rich that Uncle Jesse plays on full house.
:D :D :D :freako: :D :D :D

snarf
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by snarf » Wed May 12, 2021 5:08 pm

My first thought is a harmony silhouette, but I don't know who plays them or how expensive the originals are nowadays

Mechanical Birds
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mechanical Birds » Thu May 13, 2021 1:12 am

mbene085 wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 9:30 pm
I'm gonna guess that the guitar is a Guild Thunderbird and the guitarist is Dan Auerbach, but I don't know how that connects to clue #5.
Holy shit we did it, the shortest “Guess my NGD guys” thread in OSG history, at least that I know of.

Yeah! I’ve always wanted to just try one but they only made them for a tiny amount of time and thus I’ve never really seen any kind of market saturation with them so I figured it was a pipe dream. When they announced the reissue (one of their managers actually posted about it here which was awesome) I got really excited until seeing the price, which is just more than I’m comfortable paying for any non-Japanese guitar from Asia. I’m always eyeing sites, trying to find a deal on one, but until now, I’d been unable to find one amongst an already scarce number of used ones. I’m hoping that’s a good sign and the thing is just fuckin awesome. They did a really impressive job, like this seems closer than many Fender reissues even, just really knocked it out of the park, at least aesthetically. Supposed to get here today so when that happens I’ll come back and talk about how it feels and looks in person.

Mad respect to Guild, also! I got an old Univox with the Tremar on it a while back but the guitar was a total shit mess and the existing Tremar couldn’t be salvaged. Good luck finding a replacement, though, because it’s impossible. Or it was, I guess, until I emailed Guild and immediately they offered to sell me one at cost. Infinitely cool gesture for them to have offered and made me a fan for life, so I’m excited to finally get to check the thing out. The only real gripe I have is that you can’t get the blue one in any other version than the hardtail one, but otherwise couldn’t be more excited.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Sun May 16, 2021 9:18 am

Mechanical Birds wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 1:12 am
Holy shit we did it, the shortest “Guess my NGD guys” thread in OSG history, at least that I know of.

Yeah! I’ve always wanted to just try one but they only made them for a tiny amount of time and thus I’ve never really seen any kind of market saturation with them so I figured it was a pipe dream. When they announced the reissue (one of their managers actually posted about it here which was awesome) I got really excited until seeing the price, which is just more than I’m comfortable paying for any non-Japanese guitar from Asia. I’m always eyeing sites, trying to find a deal on one, but until now, I’d been unable to find one amongst an already scarce number of used ones. I’m hoping that’s a good sign and the thing is just fuckin awesome. They did a really impressive job, like this seems closer than many Fender reissues even, just really knocked it out of the park, at least aesthetically. Supposed to get here today so when that happens I’ll come back and talk about how it feels and looks in person.

Mad respect to Guild, also! I got an old Univox with the Tremar on it a while back but the guitar was a total shit mess and the existing Tremar couldn’t be salvaged. Good luck finding a replacement, though, because it’s impossible. Or it was, I guess, until I emailed Guild and immediately they offered to sell me one at cost. Infinitely cool gesture for them to have offered and made me a fan for life, so I’m excited to finally get to check the thing out. The only real gripe I have is that you can’t get the blue one in any other version than the hardtail one, but otherwise couldn’t be more excited.
Hah, that was quick for sure. I've just wanted one of those ever since they were announced, so your description sounded familiar!

Has it arrived yet?

SignoftheDragon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by SignoftheDragon » Tue May 18, 2021 11:48 am

Do we ever get to see pics?

Mechanical Birds
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mechanical Birds » Wed May 19, 2021 10:30 pm

Oh shit I’m sorry I forgot to come back!

So I haven’t even had a chance to plug this thing in yet, sadly, but that changes tomorrow evening. I have played it a fuck ton though and I can’t say enough good things. I got a significant discount (allowed me to buy it in the first place) buying it as a ‘B Stock’ thing and the shop through which I bought it was pretty shitty with communication. I got antsy about losing it so I accepted a counter offer that was a little higher than I’d have preferred, but sent a message trying to confirm what ‘B Stock’ meant because the listing was only the manufacturer info and nothing else. They finally answered after 3 days and 4 messages and explained that they pretty much sell guitars that people bought at big retailers and returned within 30 days. The guitar arrived flawless and setup pretty well (and packed inside three different boxes, which rules as someone who sells and ships guitars relatively often. It was packed as if shipped right from the factory, and immediately I could tell that it was surprisingly light.

This guitar weighs, somehow, only 3.9 pounds! It’s lighter than an old Hi Flier I had, but FEELS way more substantial somehow. It’s weird, but exceptionally comfortable and balanced. It feels like a very high end guitar, with actually flawless, and I mean FLAWLESS fit and finish, and better fretwork than any new Fender I’ve ever played, let alone owned. I had no idea what to expect because I don’t know anybody who has any of these newer Guilds and haven’t ever seen any out somewhere, so it’s been a really pleasant experience so far. Until I get to actually try it, all I can go on is how good it feels to play, hardware placement and stuff, which is all fine but I’m used to playing Jaguars so that’s not really a surprise. It’s really resonant and just beyond comfortable. I can’t wait to see what it does with my pedals and stuff, there’s a lot of variety here I’m sure. If I keep it, which so far that’s pretty much guaranteed, I have some ideas for mods I wanna do. I gotta say, their application of a rhythm circuit is kinda stupid and unnecessary? I feel like having an extra set of pots and switches, I can figure something else out than “have access to both pickups with on and off switches, OR have access to only one of them ON DIFFERENT KNOBS FOR SOME REASON” that’ll put all the extra stuff to better use.

The only real complaint I have is that it was lacking the gigbag these come with and the trem arm, which is a pretty big bummer for me because I feel like I NEED a trem on all my guitars, but not a problem with the actual guitar so that’s cool. The shop where I purchased it said the no gigbag part is typical and that guild doesn’t include them on these and said they’d get in touch about the trem arm. That was almost a week ago and I’ve yet to hear anything else. The product manager from Guild was really helpful a while back in helping me obtain a new Tremar (that he sold me at cost!) just because I asked. So TL;DR - I’m really happy with this guitar and Guild as a company. I can only imagine how good the other guitars they’re putting out play, because this thing is genuinely special, and I haven’t even heard it in real application yet.

For what it’s worth, anybody looking at one of these things, a million times over I’d recommend trying to grab one. Hopefully they don’t disappear and who knows, maybe do even more versions than the few they already do. It’s seriously, seriously awesome!

I tried just shoving a typical offset arm into it just to see what the trem is all about because I’ve never tried one. I’m hoping I can somehow loosen the up and down play a little because it feels pretty stiff. I’ve been curious about the Tremar for a while figuring it’d be similar to the Offset, but it’s inconclusive so far. It’d be really cool if they did a version with the offset This thing is cool for accuracy’s sake but I dunno if I’m gonna be able to make it work. I’d be real interested to hear if anybody’s spent significant time with a Tremar, though so if anybody has experience please share!

don’t really shoot videos of my gear for demo purposes but I’m thinking about doing it with this thing because there’s surprisingly little out there on them. If that happens I’ll post it in here for sure.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Thu May 20, 2021 7:39 am

I have to say, you kicked off some intense GAS for me just by getting me thinking about this model again, and your review isn't helping any.

3.9lbs is absolutely insane. I have no idea how that giant looking guitar can be so light.

There's a screw that controls both stiffness and pitch, by the way. If it's tight, the arm is stiff and you can only bend down in pitch like on a decked strat. If you loosen it, the arm gets less stiff, and you can also bend upwards a bit, like a floating strat, but with less travel.

Funny you should mention the offset vibrato. That's what Eastwood did on their version, though I'd rather own a Guild than an Eastwood.

Where did you get it from and do they have more of these B-stock ones?