'65 AV Jazzmaster with mysterious Chinese Lion.

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
Unicorn Warrior
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: '65 AV Jazzmaster with mysterious Chinese Lion.

Post by Unicorn Warrior » Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:48 pm

Flesh wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:16 pm
Nothing to solve the mysterious lion, but my 62 AVRI Jag has a "JAGUAR" imprint between the bridge and the tremolo. It seems as if the imprint is of the same type as that of the thread creator. You can only see it slightly in the finish when you move the guitar in the light. I assume that this is a characteristic to easily differentiate itself from an original 62. Again, nothing to contribute to the solution but the thread reminded me of it.

very difficult to photograph, just the "R"

anyhow, the lion story is fascinating, hope we find out where the lion came from.
This is very peculiar. I’ve never seen that

jfromel
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by jfromel » Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:27 pm

I have an update to share. I called the GC where the person I got it from, bought it used. I introduced myself calling from Seattle and started describing the guitar and before I started talking about the Foo Dog he said "THE ONE WITH THE DRAGON! I sold that to the guy you got it from and I took it in on trade". That's cool...

Long story short, he is going to get in touch with the previous owner and see if he can learn something of the origin. I told him I don't want to violate any HIPPA guitar commerce laws so if they want to remain anonymous that's cool, but also said I would like to talk to them. So perhaps I'll find out who put the Foo Dog in my guitar and how they put it there. And I don't want to violate the cool guy at GC's privacy either but I would recommend him as a guy I would buy a guitar from. His employee # is in the low six figures(its in his email address), I told him my way old GC employee number which is in the low THREE digits!, and we had a good laugh. They still use the same computer system I helped design and install when GC was a small chain with less than 20 locations and they still use the same software for inventory control. Dot Lookup, yep I worked at the desk next to the guy that wrote that code over 30 years ago.

redchapterjubilee
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by redchapterjubilee » Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:50 am

Flesh wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:16 pm
Nothing to solve the mysterious lion, but my 62 AVRI Jag has a "JAGUAR" imprint between the bridge and the tremolo. It seems as if the imprint is of the same type as that of the thread creator. You can only see it slightly in the finish when you move the guitar in the light. I assume that this is a characteristic to easily differentiate itself from an original 62. Again, nothing to contribute to the solution but the thread reminded me of it.
Huh. That is fascinating! I had a Roadworn Jazzmaster and when I had the guard off it I could see lots of places on the body and in the cavities where Fender made darn sure everyone knew this was a reissue and not vintage. I wonder if my other AVRI's and AV65 any such markings in the finish like yours. Gonna have to get all National Treasure on it this weekend.

jdr1014
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jdr1014 » Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:52 am

I'm inclined to think the lion may be residual from a sticker. It could also be from laying on something with a raised design, but being positioned so evenly and straight, I suspect sticker. A few years back I bought a Custom Shop 69 Stratocaster that was filthy and the bozo prior owner put a couple of stickers on the body. I did get it for a very good price though, and fortunately it cleaned up nicely and plays great. However, there are imprints in the finish that show the designs of those damn stickers if viewed from the right angle. Stickers don't play well with nitro finish. :( - your AV JM is nitro finish.

Anyway, regardless of origin, enjoy that beautiful Jazzmaster! :)

DrQuasar
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DrQuasar » Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:33 pm

I think this is the sticker. Or the design at least.

Link

bessieboporbach
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by bessieboporbach » Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:48 pm

DrQuasar wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:33 pm

Link
Yup, looks like a good match! Nice catch!

If the OP started a thread on at least two different forums trying to convince people he had a special top secret custom USA Fender anomaly and it turns out it's an impression from a $2 sticker, that would be hilarious :D

jfromel
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by jfromel » Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:35 pm

DrQuasar wrote:

That image is exact except for the scale, but the lion on the sticker is based on the same art!!! Best clue so far!!!! The stickers are pretty small, about 3". I just ordered some so I could stick one on the case! Also sent an e-mail to the seller of the sticker to see if I can find who the original artist is. The Image on the guitar looks like there is a signature under the left rear leg.

Regarding trying to convince someone it is a top secret guitar, nope, just trying to convince myself of how it got there and exploring all possibilities. Keep in mind the only person in this thread who can hold the guitar is me. Right now I am leaning toward the Foo Dog Mod was added after it left the factory but still don't know how it got there. It definitely was not accidentally applied (sat on something) or a refin as others have suggested, but a line art sticker that was removed prior to trading it in, may have left a residual image perfectly pressed into the finish depending on the adhesive used. I would like to know the technique used, I wouldn't mind putting some cool mostly invisible art on the back of my franken-tele.

HUGE clue in solving the mystery!! Thank you!!! Until I know more I'll just keep rocking my JM and feel safe that is lion is guarding it.

Dan Human
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Dan Human » Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:10 pm

bessieboporbach wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:48 pm
DrQuasar wrote:

Link
Yup, looks like a good match! Nice catch!

If the OP started a thread on at least two different forums trying to convince people he had a special top secret custom USA Fender anomaly and it turns out it's an impression from a $2 sticker, that would be hilarious :D
A $2 sticker? Looks like the handiwork of notorious rogue custom shop builder Javier Smith.

bessieboporbach
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by bessieboporbach » Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:55 pm

jfromel wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:35 pm
Right now I am leaning toward the Foo Dog Mod was added after it left the factory but still don't know how it got there.
"leaning toward" :D :fp:

I'm sorry to be a dream-squasher/thread-crapper, but this thread cracks me up. I can't believe it made it to five pages.

Fiddy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Fiddy » Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:48 pm

A sticker is the most plausible explanation. No special technique to apply needed.
Last edited by Fiddy on Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fiddy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Fiddy » Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:06 pm

bessieboporbach wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:55 pm
jfromel wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:35 pm
Right now I am leaning toward the Foo Dog Mod was added after it left the factory but still don't know how it got there.
"leaning toward" :D :fp:

I'm sorry to be a dream-squasher/thread-crapper, but this thread cracks me up. I can't believe it made it to five pages.
When you unknowingly buy a modded guitar, hyperbole is usually needed in order to recoup the money at selling time. :P :ph34r: :w00t:

blunderbuss
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by blunderbuss » Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:13 pm

This is a really interesting documentary to watch to think about the general psychological effect of believing deeply in something that evidence disagrees with:

https://www.netflix.com/title/81406333
Ryan

jfromel
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by jfromel » Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:32 pm

All this banter has been hilarious for me, it's been a while since I have hung out in a geek forum and I've learned a few things about my guitar, maybe I'll learn more, and stir the pot more and more people can post smirky smilies and and I'll play guitar with a Lion. So I think that's a win. Anyhow I have put out all the feelers I have energy for at this time and have other stuff I want to work on like designing new amps and pedals. So if I hear more cool, if not I'll at least have some $2 Foo Dog Stickers and a kick ass JM.

ThatGuyOverThere
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ThatGuyOverThere » Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:16 pm

jfromel wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:32 pm
All this banter has been hilarious for me, it's been a while since I have hung out in a geek forum and I've learned a few things about my guitar, maybe I'll learn more, and stir the pot more and more people can post smirky smilies and and I'll play guitar with a Lion. So I think that's a win. Anyhow I have put out all the feelers I have energy for at this time and have other stuff I want to work on like designing new amps and pedals. So if I hear more cool, if not I'll at least have some $2 Foo Dog Stickers and a kick ass JM.
Thanks for sharing this with us, it’s been fun to follow.

HNB
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by HNB » Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:31 am

I would rock it loving that there is something interesting on the back that most wouldn't know about. I have a Mustang that has an octopus in the finish from a sticker. It is a color difference vs finish, but there is lighter finish that looks like an octopus if you look at it right. I really like that. :D
Christopher
Lilith Guitars