'65 AV Jazzmaster with mysterious Chinese Lion.

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
Post Reply
User avatar
O Drones
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 179
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:17 am
Location: Glasgow, Scotland

Re: '65 AV Jazzmaster with mysterious Chinese Lion.

Post by O Drones » Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:38 am

The negativity towards this guy’s interesting offset on an offset forum is genuinely weird
The Cherry Wave

User avatar
jfromel
PAT PEND
PAT PEND
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:20 am

Re: '65 AV Jazzmaster with mysterious Chinese Lion.

Post by jfromel » Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:01 pm

O Drones wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:38 am
The negativity towards this guy’s interesting offset on an offset forum is genuinely weird
Really? I think the bullshit to substance ratio is about 80% BS and 20% relevant, seems pretty on par to me. I figure if someone can't take a bit of BS they should find other people to chat with, rather than make a post on a forum.

Anyhow quick update: The guy who sold me the $2 sticker (which was $18 after shipping and minimum order quantity) said he does not know who the original artist is, Perhaps he does and just doesn't want to say? Let the banter continue...

User avatar
tribi9
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 10254
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:38 am
Location: Canada Dry

Re: '65 AV Jazzmaster with mysterious Chinese Lion.

Post by tribi9 » Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:21 pm

jfromel wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:01 pm
O Drones wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:38 am
The negativity towards this guy’s interesting offset on an offset forum is genuinely weird
Really? I think the bullshit to substance ratio is about 80% BS and 20% relevant, seems pretty on par to me. I figure if someone can't take a bit of BS they should find other people to chat with, rather than make a post on a forum.

Anyhow quick update: The guy who sold me the $2 sticker (which was $18 after shipping and minimum order quantity) said he does not know who the original artist is, Perhaps he does and just doesn't want to say? Let the banter continue...
Are you for real? Honestly your obsession is pretty disturbing...

User avatar
Mechanical Birds
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 2603
Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:24 pm

Re: '65 AV Jazzmaster with mysterious Chinese Lion.

Post by Mechanical Birds » Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:26 pm

Unicorn Warrior wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:48 pm
Flesh wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:16 pm
Nothing to solve the mysterious lion, but my 62 AVRI Jag has a "JAGUAR" imprint between the bridge and the tremolo. It seems as if the imprint is of the same type as that of the thread creator. You can only see it slightly in the finish when you move the guitar in the light. I assume that this is a characteristic to easily differentiate itself from an original 62. Again, nothing to contribute to the solution but the thread reminded me of it.

very difficult to photograph, just the "R"
Image

anyhow, the lion story is fascinating, hope we find out where the lion came from.
This is very peculiar. I’ve never seen that
Can you plz post a pic of the whole thing? Looks like OTM or Sherwood and I need to see all of those guitars thnx

User avatar
jfromel
PAT PEND
PAT PEND
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:20 am

Re: '65 AV Jazzmaster with mysterious Chinese Lion.

Post by jfromel » Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:59 pm

tribi9 wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:21 pm
jfromel wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:01 pm
O Drones wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:38 am
The negativity towards this guy’s interesting offset on an offset forum is genuinely weird
Really? I think the bullshit to substance ratio is about 80% BS and 20% relevant, seems pretty on par to me. I figure if someone can't take a bit of BS they should find other people to chat with, rather than make a post on a forum.

Anyhow quick update: The guy who sold me the $2 sticker (which was $18 after shipping and minimum order quantity) said he does not know who the original artist is, Perhaps he does and just doesn't want to say? Let the banter continue...
Are you for real? Honestly your obsession is pretty disturbing...
Yep, at the end of the day it's just wire, wood and rock and roll, if you think I have an obsession and that is disturbing to you, I don't care and nobody's forcing you to read it. From my perspective I have a cool guitar and don't know how the art got there and I'm trying to find out more. But sure, I might have an unhealthy obsession that you find is disturbing. That doesn't make me care any more.

For example. Gene Simmons job used to be putting on silly makeup, wearing high heals, jumping around with sparklers and sparkley guitars singing songs about having fun and doing synchronized pyrotechnic parlor tricks for all the kids. Do you think someone who gets paid really good money to do that gives a shit about what people think of his guitars or what he does with them? That's one thing Gene and I may have in common, other than we both own basses. I honestly don't give a shit what other people think about my guitars and what to do with them, unless they are my tech.

User avatar
mcbrandt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 721
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:37 pm
Location: Walnut Creek

Re: '65 AV Jazzmaster with mysterious Chinese Lion.

Post by mcbrandt » Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:12 pm

It is confusing to me that so many people are giving the OP shit just for trying to see if they can figure this out? I'd be doing the same thing. I don't see why that's all of a sudden considered unhealthy or an obsession or something.

User avatar
tribi9
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 10254
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:38 am
Location: Canada Dry

Re: '65 AV Jazzmaster with mysterious Chinese Lion.

Post by tribi9 » Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:19 pm

Im all for finding the origin, crazy theories don't do it for me.

User avatar
bessieboporbach
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 91
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:40 am

Re: '65 AV Jazzmaster with mysterious Chinese Lion.

Post by bessieboporbach » Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:18 pm

O Drones wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:38 am
The negativity towards this guy’s interesting offset on an offset forum is genuinely weird
For me (and I can only speak for myself), what's been funny about this thread is the OP's insistence at every step on floating completely insane ideas -- e.g., that it was a secret Fender one-off design, a hidden factory easter egg, an original body blank carving that had been finished over, that the guy who sells the sticker is in on the conspiracy, etc. etc. etc....when much more reasonable explanations were presented.

It's a very nice but bog-standard mass-produced guitar that somebody stuck a sticker to and then Goo-Goned off because it tanked the resale value. If there's negativity, it's because of a perception that the OP wasn't listening to reason.

User avatar
blunderbuss
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 206
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:58 pm

Re: '65 AV Jazzmaster with mysterious Chinese Lion.

Post by blunderbuss » Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:34 pm

bessieboporbach wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:18 pm
O Drones wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:38 am
The negativity towards this guy’s interesting offset on an offset forum is genuinely weird
For me (and I can only speak for myself), what's been funny about this thread is the OP's insistence at every step on floating completely insane ideas -- e.g., that it was a secret Fender one-off design, a hidden factory easter egg, an original body blank carving that had been finished over, that the guy who sells the sticker is in on the conspiracy, etc. etc. etc....when much more reasonable explanations were presented.

It's a very nice but bog-standard mass-produced guitar that somebody stuck a sticker to and then Goo-Goned off because it tanked the resale value. If there's negativity, it's because of a perception that the OP wasn't listening to reason.
Pretty much this. I love helping folks generally. But in threads on multiple boards the OP continued to speculate and argue for a more fantastical version despite evidence. Hell even an actual famous Fender employee offered the most likely solution and was dismissed. OP has come around now but all told it was pretty annoying and left a bad taste in my mouth. So you know. That might be why this went south.
Ryan

User avatar
Unicorn Warrior
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 2614
Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:58 pm
Location: Kentucky, USA

Re: '65 AV Jazzmaster with mysterious Chinese Lion.

Post by Unicorn Warrior » Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:40 pm

I was thoroughly entertained by both sides of the argument. With that said, :fp:

P.S The little boy in me wants the OPs hopes and dreams to be a reality

User avatar
mcbrandt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 721
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:37 pm
Location: Walnut Creek

Re: '65 AV Jazzmaster with mysterious Chinese Lion.

Post by mcbrandt » Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:41 pm

I mean, he found someone selling stickers of the design and asked the seller if he knew the artist, that isn’t quite the same thing as claiming they’re in on any conspiracy.

User avatar
tribi9
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 10254
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:38 am
Location: Canada Dry

Re: '65 AV Jazzmaster with mysterious Chinese Lion.

Post by tribi9 » Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:23 pm

My apologies to the op.

User avatar
Flesh
PAT PEND
PAT PEND
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:59 am

Re: '65 AV Jazzmaster with mysterious Chinese Lion.

Post by Flesh » Sat May 01, 2021 12:45 am

Really liked the thread and can‘t understand the hate.
Looks like i am now stuck with the same theory of an imprint of a sticker on my jaguar. :ph34r:
Mechanical Birds wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:26 pm
Can you plz post a pic of the whole thing? Looks like OTM or Sherwood and I need to see all of those guitars thnx
It is Sherwood Green, second from *edit: right viewtopic.php?f=6&t=15666&start=4035#p1672809
Last edited by Flesh on Sat May 01, 2021 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
MechaBulletBill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 2422
Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:16 am
Location: UK

Re: '65 AV Jazzmaster with mysterious Chinese Lion.

Post by MechaBulletBill » Sat May 01, 2021 2:52 am

i do think it's important to watch the tendency to perpetuate fanciful false narratives about why a guitar is the way it is. lord knows we've all seen "super rare FSR original finish" on a reverb/ebay listing that's clearly a crappy refin. malicious or not, misinformation usually ends up burning somebody somewhere down the line.

User avatar
jfromel
PAT PEND
PAT PEND
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:20 am

Re: '65 AV Jazzmaster with mysterious Chinese Lion.

Post by jfromel » Sat May 01, 2021 9:41 am

tribi9 wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:23 pm
My apologies to the op.
Thanks but none needed, I'm not in any way bent out of shape. Anything said in a forum is cool until a mod thinks otherwise. At the end of the day it's just wire and wood we are all bitching about. On the grand scheme of things, not very important.

Summary of some theories I personally think are less probable than "happened at the factory":
Refin
Clone
Accident

The image was put there by intention and unless the person wanted an invisible lion, there was effort to conceal it. So finish over it is a possibility, as mentioned previously Nitro is thin stuff, this AV has a different finish from thin-skin AVRI's I have owned. Variances in the wood underneath shows through the finish, things like the Jagua"R" would be really hard to see on bare wood if it's hard to see with a high gloss finish applied. There is a thread on TDPRI that goes into more detail about the "flash-finish".

More likely the lion was put there after finish but the origin is unknown. A possible application technique would have been a stencil type wall/windo art where only the "lines" were the sticky part. Put that sticker on the ax for a couple years and walk into GC, see a cool new guitar and get GAS. Run home get some goo gone on that JM and hope the sales manager doesn't see the lion. But none of the above can be verified, and until it is I have a mystery.
Image
An alternate source of the original art was found in a 3" round sticker so way too small and not the right medium to be a candidate for the application process, the sticker seller has no clue who originally drew that lion. Not likely but perhaps the previous owner of the guitar was the source artist.

Post Reply