Squier Vintage modified Bass VI

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
Lost In Autumn
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Squier Vintage modified Bass VI

Post by Lost In Autumn » Sun May 09, 2021 3:21 am

N0_Camping4U wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 9:31 am
CaptainCrunch wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 5:56 pm
Lost In Autumn wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 2:24 am

Blame the Djentlemen, people into a somewhat obscure metal genre known as "djent". some of the bands they worship play 30" scale Squire Baritone Jazzmasters, which have driven up the prices into the stratospheric range. Apparently, they've discovered that by swapping the nut, a Bass VI can be a long scale baritone, too. Now, the Bass VI groups are being bombarded with "can I put humbuckers or p90's in my Bass VI?" questions and the prices are shooting up.
It seems like Curtis Novak's golden opportunity - has not his whole career up to this moment been waiting for the masses to cry out "PLZ BRUH CAN I HAS _____ PICKUP BUT IN JAZZ/JAG BOBBIN LOL"?

I'd say yes.

That dude has lost it. Never emails me back. I gave up on him once and bought Lollars. Building a type 2 Marauder and emailed him asking about pickups - since he literally just made some for the Fender Custom Shop - and dead air. Multiple people on this forum were interested too. Guy just cannot email back to save his life. Oh well.

I'm curious if you've tried calling Curtis Novak on the phone? Because of the pandemic, a lot of winders are experiencing really high volumes & most of them are pretty small businesses with just a few people working. While I can't speak directly to Novak, Creamery in the UK has had some pretty high lead times, 2-3 months, Bootstrap has had to shut down orders to catch up; this seems to be across the board for the industry.

N0_Camping4U
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by N0_Camping4U » Sun May 09, 2021 7:53 am

Lost In Autumn wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 3:21 am
N0_Camping4U wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 9:31 am
CaptainCrunch wrote:

It seems like Curtis Novak's golden opportunity - has not his whole career up to this moment been waiting for the masses to cry out "PLZ BRUH CAN I HAS _____ PICKUP BUT IN JAZZ/JAG BOBBIN LOL"?

I'd say yes.

That dude has lost it. Never emails me back. I gave up on him once and bought Lollars. Building a type 2 Marauder and emailed him asking about pickups - since he literally just made some for the Fender Custom Shop - and dead air. Multiple people on this forum were interested too. Guy just cannot email back to save his life. Oh well.
I haven't. I should try that. For me - I feel like calling is more obtrusive and time consuming than answering an email. But I shouldn't apply my preferences and disposition to talking on the phone to other people. Good idea. I just wanted to know if he custom wound the type 2 Marauder pickups he made for the Custom Shop; and if he did, was that on some kind of Fender knowledge/information or by Curtis' or the customers decision. I'm sure other people in the topic on the Marauder build would buy some from him.

I'm curious if you've tried calling Curtis Novak on the phone? Because of the pandemic, a lot of winders are experiencing really high volumes & most of them are pretty small businesses with just a few people working. While I can't speak directly to Novak, Creamery in the UK has had some pretty high lead times, 2-3 months, Bootstrap has had to shut down orders to catch up; this seems to be across the board for the industry.
"I've been waiting for you, Obi-Wan. We meet again, at last. The circle is now complete. When I left you, I was but the learner, now I am the master."

CaptainCrunch
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by CaptainCrunch » Mon May 10, 2021 7:56 am

HarlowTheFish wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 11:01 pm
CaptainCrunch wrote:

I'd say yes.
Honestly, these barely need it -- the biggest issues are noise and output being on the low side, but realistically for the kind of rig the average dj0nt kid is running, neither is a huge concern.
I have a CV VI, and running it through the headphone Mustang amp's Uberschall with a ton of reverb playing half-assed Morricone stuff is a hoot.
I didn't care for the little guy's gain-ey models at first, but good headphones make a world of difference.

pikmin
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by pikmin » Fri Aug 26, 2022 5:19 am

Hi guys ,

I’ve just recorded this new song with a friend .

We both play on our Bass VI ( A Squier VM and a Squier CV ) and we added some Jazz Bass ( squier CV ) after .

All have stock pickups and electronics .

For fans of The Cure , New Order , Joy Division , …

Tell me what you think :

Wallow

brianjdc
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by brianjdc » Sat Aug 27, 2022 1:45 pm

Djentlemen (lol love that name!) are the new blues lawyers. All seem to have way too much disposable income to afford the prices they drive up on their newest fad gear.

electric__ralph
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by electric__ralph » Sat Aug 27, 2022 2:14 pm

pikmin wrote:
Fri Aug 26, 2022 5:19 am
Tell me what you think :

Wallow
That's great.

pikmin
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by pikmin » Sun Aug 28, 2022 2:00 am

electric__ralph wrote:
Sat Aug 27, 2022 2:14 pm
pikmin wrote:
Tell me what you think :

Wallow
That's great.
Thank you 🙏

Dan_Q
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Dan_Q » Thu Sep 01, 2022 7:26 am

pikmin wrote:
Hi guys ,

We both play on our Bass VI ( A Squier VM and a Squier CV ) and we added some Jazz Bass ( squier CV ) after .

Tell me what you think :

Wallow
Superb :-* thanks for sharing I enjoyed that 8)

I fancy a bass vi, never had one- what sort of rig do you guys run them through, guitar, bass or both?

pikmin
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by pikmin » Thu Sep 01, 2022 3:57 pm

Dan_Q wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 7:26 am
pikmin wrote:
Hi guys ,

Tell me what you think :

Wallow
Superb :-* thanks for sharing I enjoyed that 8)

I fancy a bass vi, never had one- what sort of rig do you guys run them through, guitar, bass or both?
Thanks !

Sometimes a guitar amp , sometimes a bass amp .

For that recording , the VM bass Vi was plugged in my guitar rig , a Fender Princeton Reverb 65 RI with some delay ( Gutternoize echo collision and TC electronic flashback 2 ) , a subtle shimmer ( tc electronic Hall of fame 2 ) and on overdrive for the last part of the song ( Earthquaker devices Plumes ) .
The CV was plugged in my Roland JC 50 from 1980 , which the chorus of the amp and some other pedals ….

BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BoringPostcards » Thu Sep 01, 2022 4:50 pm

pikmin wrote:

Tell me what you think :

Wallow
I love it. Good stuff.
Det er mig der holder traeerne sammen.

ogpuprison
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by ogpuprison » Tue Dec 13, 2022 1:43 pm

yeah, that works.
I've owned both. First up i had a VM with staytrem, ending up selling it for a deluxe squier JM. Dick move. Then I bought a CV version, black, B stock, no staytrem but i did buy new gotoh tuners. It was nowhere near as good as the VM one, and this isn't just down to the staytrem. VM neck better, sounded smoother, etc. Not to dis the CV range- I think I got a duff one. Sold it for a decent price