Squier Vintage modified Bass VI

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
pocaloc
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Squier Vintage modified Bass VI

Post by pocaloc » Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:45 pm

I was googling to remind myself if I have the vintage modified or the classic vibe Bass Vi (I have the vintage modified) and noticed three for sale in the $750 to $850 range. None of the three had any upgrades. Why are people charging so much for these? Are they considered better than the classic vibe or is it just because they are discontinued? Just curious.

HarlowTheFish
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Squier Vintage modified Bass VI

Post by HarlowTheFish » Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:11 pm

Probably better reputation, plus being discontinued, plus a market where pretty much everything even remotely oddball is hard to find and there's a lot more people using retail therapy to deal with pandemic boredom.

kgbAttack
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by kgbAttack » Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:31 pm

I sold mine for 340 Euros in January, with a bone nut, and all other the upgrades removed. Still looks like I undersold it :fp: In my town there's one on sale for 525 euros...

Squareball
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Squareball » Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:33 am

HarlowTheFish wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:11 pm
Probably better reputation, plus being discontinued, plus a market where pretty much everything even remotely oddball is hard to find and there's a lot more people using retail therapy to deal with pandemic boredom.
Exactly this.
A lot of the VM offset range goes for more money than they were bought for these days. Usually with the additional selling point of having a Rosewood fretboard. I own a Squier Jaguar short scale bass and I reckon I could sell it for more money than I paid for it new. (not that i want to)

Also could it be that the Bass VI is latching on to the recent interest in the discontinued Squier Baritone Jazzmaster? - the prices for those second hand have sky rocketed! I recently saw one being offered at €1000 with no mods. Now that the latest Squier Paranormal Baritone telecaster has been discontinued I'm sure that will see the same effect.

Like the OP, I would also be interested to know if the CV Bass VI is in any way "better" than the previous VM version. Has anyone owned or played both?
May the Fuzz be with you

burpgun
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by burpgun » Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:30 am

Squareball wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:33 am
HarlowTheFish wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:11 pm
Exactly this.
A lot of the VM offset range goes for more money than they were bought for these days. Usually with the additional selling point of having a Rosewood fretboard. I own a Squier Jaguar short scale bass and I reckon I could sell it for more money than I paid for it new. (not that i want to)

Also could it be that the Bass VI is latching on to the recent interest in the discontinued Squier Baritone Jazzmaster? - the prices for those second hand have sky rocketed! I recently saw one being offered at €1000 with no mods. Now that the latest Squier Paranormal Baritone telecaster has been discontinued I'm sure that will see the same effect.

Like the OP, I would also be interested to know if the CV Bass VI is in any way "better" than the previous VM version. Has anyone owned or played both?

You could definitely sell your Jaguar SS bass for more than you paid: I had two, sold one last summer for just shy of $300. Guy who bought it grumbled but really, he did alright, as those little basses were super good and could have sold for a lot more in the first place.

Debaser
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Debaser » Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:10 am

I sold mine a few years ago with hard case, labellas, bone nut, cellulose tort guard, Jag bridge pickup, AND a Bass VI Staytrem for $500. I made all my money back actually, which leads to the saddest part: I bought the used VM for a little over $200. FML :fp:
50,000 watts out of Mexico, this is the BorderRadio...

javier-san
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by javier-san » Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:08 pm

It's wild how much they are going for...stock.
I bought mine last year (beginning of pandemic) for 600ish and it was upgraded with AVRI trem, staytrem bridge, brass nut and some nice (but not for me) duncan pickups.

Strango
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Strango » Wed May 05, 2021 10:46 am

I just got a CV Bass VI, but spent a solid month researching and trying to find a VM or CV for purchase. My research led me to think that the CV is better -- the bridge is generally considered to be a lot better than the VM one (which generally is recommended to be swapped out), I've seen a bunch of arguments that the pickups are better in the CV (although I've seen other arguments that they're the same so who knows). I think the compelling argument is rosewood on the VM fretboards, but for me, I figured that laurel would be fine.

For me it came down to availability and price -- like you say, used VMs are going for crazy prices on ebay and reverb. I lucked into a black one on Amazon (just got it, it looks great, not a mark on it) and saved some money, but if a used one popped up on Guitar Center across the country, it was gone within minutes! They're really hard to get ahold of now (although now there's a bunch of VMs and CVs on Reverb for the 600-700 range).

manwithtitties
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by manwithtitties » Wed May 05, 2021 11:06 pm

i ordered the cv version last month, but my order got delayed until like june or july. i assume that the cvs have mostly been sold out everywhere and theres quite a lot of production issues due to covid, so every squier extended range guitar is suddenly worth 3x as much second hand

BearBoy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BearBoy » Thu May 06, 2021 1:55 am

Do the CV ones have narrower necks than the VMs?

Noticed on the Staytrem site that he sells two bridges with different string spacing:
55mm or 52mm E to E string spacing. Now available with choice of string spacing.
55mm for Pawn Shop Bass VI and Squier Vintage Modified Bass VI.
52mm for Squier Classic Vibe Bass VI.

gutter rock
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by gutter rock » Fri May 07, 2021 2:18 am

My former band mate has a VM Bass VI and I have the CV version. I’d take mine over his any day of the week. Mine just feels better IMO. I’m not precious about rosewood necks though. I find the alternatives fine and a little fretboard conditioner and it is kind of hard to tell much of a difference. I’m just glad I got one when I did, like a year or so ago. You never know when Squier may stop making them and the prices will skyrocket even more I would think. Seriously one of the most fun instruments I own. I keep telling myself I need a real bass guitar for recordings, but the bass VI and some EQ and it gets the job done perfectly fine. Still gonna get me a Jaguar bass one day though just because!

Lost In Autumn
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Lost In Autumn » Fri May 07, 2021 2:24 am

pocaloc wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:45 pm
I was googling to remind myself if I have the vintage modified or the classic vibe Bass Vi (I have the vintage modified) and noticed three for sale in the $750 to $850 range. None of the three had any upgrades. Why are people charging so much for these? Are they considered better than the classic vibe or is it just because they are discontinued? Just curious.
Blame the Djentlemen, people into a somewhat obscure metal genre known as "djent". some of the bands they worship play 30" scale Squire Baritone Jazzmasters, which have driven up the prices into the stratospheric range. Apparently, they've discovered that by swapping the nut, a Bass VI can be a long scale baritone, too. Now, the Bass VI groups are being bombarded with "can I put humbuckers or p90's in my Bass VI?" questions and the prices are shooting up.

CaptainCrunch
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by CaptainCrunch » Fri May 07, 2021 5:56 pm

Lost In Autumn wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 2:24 am
pocaloc wrote:
Blame the Djentlemen, people into a somewhat obscure metal genre known as "djent". some of the bands they worship play 30" scale Squire Baritone Jazzmasters, which have driven up the prices into the stratospheric range. Apparently, they've discovered that by swapping the nut, a Bass VI can be a long scale baritone, too. Now, the Bass VI groups are being bombarded with "can I put humbuckers or p90's in my Bass VI?" questions and the prices are shooting up.
It seems like Curtis Novak's golden opportunity - has not his whole career up to this moment been waiting for the masses to cry out "PLZ BRUH CAN I HAS _____ PICKUP BUT IN JAZZ/JAG BOBBIN LOL"?

I'd say yes.

HarlowTheFish
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by HarlowTheFish » Fri May 07, 2021 11:01 pm

CaptainCrunch wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 5:56 pm
It seems like Curtis Novak's golden opportunity - has not his whole career up to this moment been waiting for the masses to cry out "PLZ BRUH CAN I HAS _____ PICKUP BUT IN JAZZ/JAG BOBBIN LOL"?

I'd say yes.
Honestly, these barely need it -- the biggest issues are noise and output being on the low side, but realistically for the kind of rig the average dj0nt kid is running, neither is a huge concern.

N0_Camping4U
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by N0_Camping4U » Sat May 08, 2021 9:31 am

CaptainCrunch wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 5:56 pm
Lost In Autumn wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 2:24 am
pocaloc wrote:

I'd say yes.

That dude has lost it. Never emails me back. I gave up on him once and bought Lollars. Building a type 2 Marauder and emailed him asking about pickups - since he literally just made some for the Fender Custom Shop - and dead air. Multiple people on this forum were interested too. Guy just cannot email back to save his life. Oh well.
"I've been waiting for you, Obi-Wan. We meet again, at last. The circle is now complete. When I left you, I was but the learner, now I am the master."