US Performer Mustang vibrato?

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
DarnWeight
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

US Performer Mustang vibrato?

Post by DarnWeight » Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:25 pm

Just wondered what the consensus was around here on the upgraded/modded vibrato on the Performer 'Stang? Is it an appreciable improvement on the vintage-style?

I've got an AV Strat I'm gearing up to sell, and have a hankering for a Mustang again (I had a Japanese 65 RI for a while). I generally prefer vintage appointments on Fenders (7.25 radius and vintage frets), but I'd happily make an exception for a Mustang with an improved vibrato system.

Cheers in advance!

snarf
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: US Performer Mustang vibrato?

Post by snarf » Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:20 am

American performer mustang is an awesome player. The vibrato and pickups are excellent plus its super comfy.

The setup of the vibrato is particularly interesting. They added a metal pin that keeps it in position while adding tension to the strings. I'm probably not explaining it right, but its really nice of them. The rubbery insert keeps the bar in place and the wiggle is smooth.

I liked it so much I ended up buying an Am Performer body with hardware from the stratosphere and used the neck and pickups from an MIJ.

The only thing I don't like is the satin neck. I prefer gloss so I took the neck off and finished it with a spray can of clear gloss nitro lacquer. It turned out great. I also think they should have used the metal F stamped tuners as a kind of call back to the original F stamped white peg tuners.