DAMMIT Squier not another NGD!!! (Tornado)

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
dc
Expat
Expat

Re: DAMMIT Squier not another NGD!!! (Tornado)

Post by dc » Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:55 am

s_mcsleazy wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:38 am
i also have the supersonic. i dont wanna hijack pat's thread so i'll ask him if it's ok if i give my thoughts.
dig. maybe over in the recent "So, was the Paranormal series a flop?" thread ;) clearly many around here don't think so.

on topic: the Toronado was my second choice in the series (behind the SuperSonic) and i may yet pick one up if they get blown out in these parts. i just kind of like how straightforward they are.
in the coldest night / huddled 'round the dying embers

ElephantDNA
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ElephantDNA » Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:01 am

I have this one in blue. I bought the toranado used and the setup on it is dreadful so it's basically unplayable at this time. I really need to get that worked on. However, Really digging the humbuckers on it and it feels relatively solid for such a cheap guitar. Just needs a little bit of love.

Not totally related but I just picked up another guitar (wife is starting to wonder where these are coming from) - player's mustang with p-90s. Awesome that fender is putting gibson-style pickups on their stuff now.

Reminds me to do a NGD post on my latest baby once I get to my practice space this weekend to try it out. :)

Fiddy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Fiddy » Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:12 am

Ive never been a fan of Tonarados myself. However, i appreciate rheir bridge.

Pacafeliz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Pacafeliz » Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:15 am

chgiles wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 6:16 am
I just picked up one of these as well after seeing the price. The Toronado never really appealed to me to me despite it being in many ways exactly something I was looking for, basically a Gibsonised Fender. I always thought it was a bit ugly, possibly something to do with the huge pick guard. Nevertheless at this price I couldn't resist. I still don't think it's the best-looking guitar but I much prefer it IRL compared to pictures, particularly the all-black look. It is indeed incredible at this price. The neck is really lovely, the edges of the fretboard feel great. On the basis of this and a couple of the Classic Vibes I have, I think I actually prefer Indian laurel to rosewood. The only thing I don't really like is how pasty and pale the neck is – I would have preferred the vintage tint used on the classic vibes, but whatever.
+1 to all of that!
Yeah the pale-ness really sucks, but I was expecting the cheap bullet's non-lacquered look but it feels so nice and smooth. A pity they didn't just add a few drops of amber tint. But it's still worth it, neck feels so great.

The Toro was never a fav of mine, quite on the contrary, but I really dig the black on black.
I've got some old white 70s Maxon humbuckers waiting to be used in some project but I CAN'T take these out since I really really dig em!
i love delay SO much ...that i procrastinate all the time.

Pacafeliz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Pacafeliz » Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:16 am

s_mcsleazy wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:38 am

i also have the supersonic. i dont wanna hijack pat's thread so i'll ask him if it's ok if i give my thoughts.
Dude buy me a beer and please go for it.
Still GASing badly for a Super Sonic! :ph34r:
i love delay SO much ...that i procrastinate all the time.

Fiddy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Fiddy » Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:17 am

I think Todornados would be a little more visually appealing to me, if the body was a little more elongated and the pickguard design was different.

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:20 pm

tribi9 wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:17 am
I think Todornados would be a little more visually appealing to me, if the body was a little more elongated and the pickguard design was different.
i just consider them THICC jagmasters

anyway. my thoughts on the paranormal series.

good:

pickups are good. a little hot for my liking but good.
the gloss on the necks reminds me a lot of my vista jagmaster.
they've kinda hit the ideal weight for a guitar i'm into. that might be a bit heavy for most but for me it's ideal.
they usually play pretty well after some tweeking. normally with my short scales, i stick 12's or 13's on there and they can take it quite well (with some mods to the trem)
really good fretwork on all of them.

the bad:

the wiring on the supersonic was giving me issues from day 1. in the end, i got so fed up that i removed half the loom and redid it so it was 1 volume 1 tone. the wire they used was soo thin. i went in there and replaced it with some normal wire. the switch was also god awful. it didn't chance smoothly, it felt like a massive thunk between pickup changing.
all 3 came with super dry fretboards. i don't actually hate how laurel fretboards look but the 3 i've ordered came super dry.
the colour of the laurel fretboards can be super inconsistant. i kinda like it but it doesn't fill me with a lot of confidence when one fretboard is super light and the other two are quite dar.
the tuners. their kinda trash. they also weren't screwed in fully on the toronado and one of the tuners doesn't even look like there's much holding it together...... i'll see if i can get a pic later. but there's quite a few dead spots in all 3 guitar's tuners. the toronado is kinda the worst for it.
this is more a nitpick one but the switches on the cyclone were upside down. for me down should always be on. i get annoyed when i see it the other way around. i don't find this issue happening on fenders but i do on squiers.
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

BearBoy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BearBoy » Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:37 am

s_mcsleazy wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:20 pm
this is more a nitpick one but the switches on the cyclone were upside down. for me down should always be on. i get annoyed when i see it the other way around. i don't find this issue happening on fenders but i do on squiers.
Isn't that how they're supposed to be? Same as Jaguars, VIs etc.

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:09 am

BearBoy wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:37 am
s_mcsleazy wrote:
every fender jag ive ever tried had down as on. maybe every one ive tried has been messed with before hand however. i dont think i've ever actually played a brand new jag.

oh and i remembered another nitpick but why are squier strat trem arms pointing so far up? the angle of the bend is super high and always feels wrong to me..... but they get bonus points for having those really nice arm tips that are all textured.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

loveinathens
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by loveinathens » Sat Mar 13, 2021 3:45 am

Great snag, Pat! I love my 90s Mexican one, and I swear there's zero reason for me to ever want a Gibson haha

BearBoy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BearBoy » Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:26 am

s_mcsleazy wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:09 am
BearBoy wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:37 am
s_mcsleazy wrote:
every fender jag ive ever tried had down as on. maybe every one ive tried has been messed with before hand however. i dont think i've ever actually played a brand new jag.
Yeah, they must have all been modified. Standard stock Jaguar/VI switching is on=up / off=down.

https://www.fender.com/articles/tech-ta ... ed-to-know

I guess some people reverse it to reduce the risk of switching the pickups off if they hit them whilst strumming?

How do you find the sound of the Cyclone? I'm super tempted to get one before they disappear.

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:15 am

BearBoy wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:26 am

Yeah, they must have all been modified. Standard stock Jaguar/VI switching is on=up / off=down.

https://www.fender.com/articles/tech-ta ... ed-to-know

I guess some people reverse it to reduce the risk of switching the pickups off if they hit them whilst strumming?

How do you find the sound of the Cyclone? I'm super tempted to get one before they disappear.
honestly. i dunno how i feel about it yet. normally it takes me a while (3-5 days) to truly get used to a guitar. if i had to say anything about it, it would be i remember why i've never been a fan of middle pickups from a practical standpoint, but this is the closest ive came to liking the sound of a middle pickup

chgiles
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by chgiles » Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:13 am

s_mcsleazy wrote:
tribi9 wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:17 am
i just consider them THICC jagmasters

anyway. my thoughts on the paranormal series.

good:

pickups are good. a little hot for my liking but good.
the gloss on the necks reminds me a lot of my vista jagmaster.
they've kinda hit the ideal weight for a guitar i'm into. that might be a bit heavy for most but for me it's ideal.
they usually play pretty well after some tweeking. normally with my short scales, i stick 12's or 13's on there and they can take it quite well (with some mods to the trem)
really good fretwork on all of them.

the bad:

the wiring on the supersonic was giving me issues from day 1. in the end, i got so fed up that i removed half the loom and redid it so it was 1 volume 1 tone. the wire they used was soo thin. i went in there and replaced it with some normal wire. the switch was also god awful. it didn't chance smoothly, it felt like a massive thunk between pickup changing.
all 3 came with super dry fretboards. i don't actually hate how laurel fretboards look but the 3 i've ordered came super dry.
the colour of the laurel fretboards can be super inconsistant. i kinda like it but it doesn't fill me with a lot of confidence when one fretboard is super light and the other two are quite dar.
the tuners. their kinda trash. they also weren't screwed in fully on the toronado and one of the tuners doesn't even look like there's much holding it together...... i'll see if i can get a pic later. but there's quite a few dead spots in all 3 guitar's tuners. the toronado is kinda the worst for it.
Is the Cyclone neck the same as the Toronado's? If so I'm definitely gonna pick one up, really digging the Toronado neck feel.

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:00 pm

not a demo but i'm using my toro in this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_-roHXYPxs

jobo
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jobo » Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:29 am

I am about to pull the trigger on that Toro from Thomann... how chunky/thin is the neck? I fear it to be rather thinish....