Fender "Panorama" Tremolo System -- American Performer II Jazzmaster

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
Horsefeather
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Fender "Panorama" Tremolo System -- American Performer II Jazzmaster

Post by Horsefeather » Sat Feb 26, 2022 4:18 pm

In the pursuit of more pitch change via the stock hardware, once could move the anchor point of the string ends farther from the fulcrum. This could be accomplished by grinding notches into the back edge of the plate they're on and catching the ball ends under those notches, the way some cheesy Teiscos did it.

This would require either a stronger spring or more preload, though, as it would increase the leverage of the strings on the assembly.

It would also decrease break angle at the bridge but let's just pretend that you've already made the switch to a roller bridge.

Offshat
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Offshat » Sat Mar 05, 2022 4:40 pm

i bought two of these to use on some Bass VI's i've, LOL.

Vendetagainst
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Vendetagainst » Sat Mar 05, 2022 5:04 pm

Offshat wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 4:40 pm
i bought two of these to use on some Bass VI's i've, LOL.
Omg, if you ever get a stronger spring, that’s gonna be crazy! Really looking forward to seeing this!

molul
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by molul » Mon Mar 21, 2022 5:02 am

The "springate" is really bad news :( I was hoping to make a new custom offset with this new Panorama tremolo, and while I wouldn't be so affected by this (I use 10s), I rather wait a bit. Here's hoping for a re-release with this fixed.

I'm guessing Fender is having strong conversations with the QA team about this XD

bodhi
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by bodhi » Tue Apr 05, 2022 12:12 pm

Hmm, just bought one of these yesterday without remembering that this thread probably had the details covered already... :mellow: I tend to use 11s on almost all of my guitars, so sounds like it's going to be a bit of a problem. I do have a Mastery going to another project and an AVRI, as well as some cheap import ones to try between, but unless the Mastery works decently with the AVRI spring this doesn't sound all that promising.
Jazzmaster project (got a body, placeholder neck, some pickups and ideas)
Tokai Telecaster Thinline with Creamery Pickups Filtertron and Tapped Tele
Blake Mills-inspired Strat project w/ Gold Foil and slide pickup

ryanthellama
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ryanthellama » Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:22 pm

bodhi wrote:
Tue Apr 05, 2022 12:12 pm
I do have a Mastery going to another project and an AVRI, as well as some cheap import ones to try between, but unless the Mastery works decently with the AVRI spring this doesn't sound all that promising.
Squier and MIM springs seem to be stiff enough for the Panorama to work alright (I have one in mine), so hopefully you’ll be in luck!

bodhi
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by bodhi » Wed Apr 06, 2022 12:25 am

ryanthellama wrote:
Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:22 pm
bodhi wrote:
Tue Apr 05, 2022 12:12 pm
I do have a Mastery going to another project and an AVRI, as well as some cheap import ones to try between, but unless the Mastery works decently with the AVRI spring this doesn't sound all that promising.
Squier and MIM springs seem to be stiff enough for the Panorama to work alright (I have one in mine), so hopefully you’ll be in luck!
Cool, thanks for the info! It'll have to wait a few weeks as I'm on a trip and the part hasn't even been shipping, but then I might need to see if someone in the local scene would be interested in swapping springs. From a quick online search it doesn't seem like there are any replacement parts other than the Fender American Vintage spring and the Allparts spring...

Play_at_Guitar
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Play_at_Guitar » Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:29 am

bodhi, what are you expecting for delivery date? I ordered mine middle of last December and have recently been informed it won't be shipped until about mid-May. That is almost exactly how long it took my Spark amp to ship in the same time frame two years ago.

I sure hope they don't change springs as 9s are what I use. Maybe they will send two springs as they should. I will let everyone know what spring it comes with.
Last edited by Play_at_Guitar on Thu Apr 21, 2022 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I just hope I can play guitars in my next life! Maybe then there will be time to actually get good!

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy_tchp » Wed Apr 06, 2022 5:47 pm

Play_at_Guitar wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:29 am
I sure hope they don't change springs as 9s are what I use. Maybe they will send two springs as they should. I will let everyone one know what spring it comes with.
.009s will still be usable even with the changed spring, no need to send two springs.
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

Play_at_Guitar
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Play_at_Guitar » Thu Apr 07, 2022 9:29 am

Well, sorry I sounded kinda selfish. I would not be too unhappy if I had to use heavier strings, I would just get used to it.
I just hope I can play guitars in my next life! Maybe then there will be time to actually get good!

bodhi
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by bodhi » Fri Apr 08, 2022 1:08 am

Play_at_Guitar wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:29 am
bodhi, what are you expecting for delivery date? I ordered mine middle of last December and have recently been informed it won't be shipped until about mid-May. That is almost exactly how long it took my Spark amp to ship in the same time frame two years ago.

I sure hope they don't change springs as 9s are what I use. Maybe they will send two springs as they should. I will let everyone one know what spring it comes with.
Hmm, dunno, the store came back with a "not in stock" message, but they were expecting to ship it to me in a week? This is in Europe, though, so would assume that there's some intermediary storage somewhere, if there's not more of a delay. Don't really have a strict timetable for the part, so not too concerned either way.

Play_at_Guitar
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Play_at_Guitar » Fri Apr 08, 2022 11:11 am

It looks like Japan has a ton of them that are listed on eBay...some with very high prices. There are also a couple of other countries that has a few listed, but don't remember which ones.

I am not really concerned about delivery either. I missed an opportunity from Sweetwater who notified me of available stock back in early March . I had cancelled my original order with them back in December and went with GC due to the fact they have multiple stores located within driving distance.

bodhi
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by bodhi » Thu Apr 21, 2022 7:25 am

Play_at_Guitar wrote:
Fri Apr 08, 2022 11:11 am
It looks like Japan has a ton of them that are listed on eBay...some with very high prices. There are also a couple of other countries that has a few listed, but don't remember which ones.

I am not really concerned about delivery either. I missed an opportunity from Sweetwater who notified me of available stock back in early March . I had cancelled my original order with them back in December and went with GC due to the fact they have multiple stores located within driving distance.
Just got the shipping notice, so ended up being roughly two working weeks delay instead of the one they mentioned at first, though it's been easter holidays in most places I believe. Ordered from Musik Produktiv in Europe.

Play_at_Guitar
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Play_at_Guitar » Thu Apr 21, 2022 2:51 pm

I just called GC and they first said it would not be shipped until NEXT December! When I squawked that mine has been on order since LAST December he said, "oh, wait a minute" and came back to say the next shipment should be Jun 17- 23rd. That's much better! I asked him did they sell a huge amount of these guitars and he said yes, but also Fender is doing limited runs of it. To remind me I shot myself in the foot by cancelling my Sweetwater order as I still have the message on my phone for their order came in from Fender back on March 3rd. Fortunately, I got it reserved for the original price as I almost waited until after Jan. 1 to order, but on a whim placed my order just before Christmas which saved me over $200 plus tax.

I am sure you will us let know when you get yours in and let us know what you think of it.

bodhi
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by bodhi » Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:01 am

BTW, anyone have any idea of the comparative stiffness of Fender Vintera springs? They're basically MIM, I believe, but seem to have slightly different features to the Squier ones. Eeg. Pat pend text and at least some have the trem lock, but the collets are screw-in instead of push-in... Or alternatively these are the same as Classic Player trems (Korea?), which have the same kind of spring as the basic Fenders?

Local market has slim pickings right now, so looking on ebay pre-emptively for some replacements...