New Fender Troy Van Leeuwen Jazzmaster in Copper Age

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
JamesSGBrown
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: New Fender Troy Van Leeuwen Jazzmaster in Copper Age

Post by JamesSGBrown » Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:19 pm

mekhem wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:14 am
Possibly? It may fit the screw pattern but will have to be modified to use the switch.
Yeah I just wanna go to a traditional TM switch anyhow.

rfc
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by rfc » Sun Jul 04, 2021 8:57 am

I'm not as offended by the blocks or painted headstock as everyone else seems to be, but I am not a purist. I do love the sound of a Jazzmaster so I ordered one of these which should arrive soon. It looks like a reasonable way to get much of the experience of an AVRI at a fraction of the price. MIM doesn't bother me, especially when most of the parts are the same as you'd get on an AVRI. I'm happy to put energy and cost into proper setup regardless of country of origin, if the parts are good to begin with. I'll be curious to see how the Mustang bridge works, and totally fine slapping a Jazzmaster or Staytrem in there if need be. Sounds promising though.

The American Pro IIs (out of stock until autumn, looks like) are marginally interesting but I would just want to put the AV 65 pickups into it and the "powerful, throaty sound" of the bridge pickup tap feature seems like a weird thing to ask of a Jazzmaster when there are plenty of other guitars out there with different tones. The panorama trem actually looks cool, but not much is really wrong with the original once it is tuned up. I also like the vintage neck radius on the TVL. I do like the Copper color a lot, it looks like it could have been an original color but again I am not a real purist along those lines.

I might be the only person who didn't even know who TVL is, so am indifferent to it being a signature model, but sure am glad that info is discreetly on the back of the headstock.

ntmanning
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ntmanning » Tue Dec 28, 2021 4:34 pm

Looking into this model. But none available in the wild to get my hands on in person. No local stores have them. Can order them online but I really wish I could see it in person. Anyone who have it maybe chime in on how they like the look in person?

JamesSGBrown
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JamesSGBrown » Thu Dec 30, 2021 2:03 am

ntmanning wrote:
Tue Dec 28, 2021 4:34 pm
Looking into this model. But none available in the wild to get my hands on in person. No local stores have them. Can order them online but I really wish I could see it in person. Anyone who have it maybe chime in on how they like the look in person?
Looks great, sounds great, plays great. Only reasons I sold mine were a) I had to get funds for a bucket-list guitar and b) I do actually prefer rosewood on all Fenders besides Tele's, it turns out.

Somnospeed
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Somnospeed » Thu Dec 30, 2021 7:00 am

I just picked up a TVL JM and immediately swapped out the maple fretboard for a rosewood 1991 Strat neck. I just cannot do maple. My TVL also has Fender WRHB in it too, so it's modified far from original. But it's exactly how I wanted it and it sounds beautiful. The perfect Jazzblaster. Mission accomplished.
As for the color, I could take it or leave it really. If I had to pick from all 25+ colors, this copper color would definitely be near the bottom of my list. But... IF you like the color, it's an outstanding job. It really does look great, just not for me. But is a Jazzblaster so what color it is is also at the bottom of my list. ;)

ntmanning
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ntmanning » Sun Jan 02, 2022 6:36 pm

Somnospeed wrote:
Thu Dec 30, 2021 7:00 am
I just picked up a TVL JM and immediately swapped out the maple fretboard for a rosewood 1991 Strat neck. I just cannot do maple. My TVL also has Fender WRHB in it too, so it's modified far from original. But it's exactly how I wanted it and it sounds beautiful. The perfect Jazzblaster. Mission accomplished.
As for the color, I could take it or leave it really. If I had to pick from all 25+ colors, this copper color would definitely be near the bottom of my list. But... IF you like the color, it's an outstanding job. It really does look great, just not for me. But is a Jazzblaster so what color it is is also at the bottom of my list. ;)

You have a picture? I imagine Rosewood with the copper looks pretty great

Somnospeed
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Somnospeed » Sun Jan 02, 2022 7:02 pm

ntmanning wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 6:36 pm
Yep, sure do! I don't like maple fretboards so it had to go immediately. Just how I wanted it to turn out too. :)

ntmanning
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ntmanning » Mon Jan 03, 2022 1:18 pm

Somnospeed wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 7:02 pm
ntmanning wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 6:36 pm
Yep, sure do! I don't like maple fretboards so it had to go immediately. Just how I wanted it to turn out too. :)

Oh wow. And the black guard. I know a lot of folks don't like the stock pick guard but I really do. But I can also see how black would be killer as well. Where did you grab the guard that works with the TVL switch on the top horn?

Somnospeed
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Somnospeed » Tue Jan 04, 2022 6:32 am

The custom work was done by the previous owner and the OG pickguard was not included when I bought it. I imagine it's sitting on whichever guitar the black one game from, who knows. I was looking for a bit to find a JM I could hack into a Jazzblaster but found one exactly as I planned to build so I got lucky. Not my color choice but it's really growing on me. I think it really does look nice. All the custom work looks A+ quality, including wiring and cuts to make the WRHB. Looks like it came straight from the Fender factory.

Mechanical Birds
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mechanical Birds » Tue Jan 04, 2022 9:08 pm

rfc wrote:
Sun Jul 04, 2021 8:57 am

I might be the only person who didn't even know who TVL is, so am indifferent to it being a signature model, but sure am glad that info is discreetly on the back of the headstock.
Not by a long shot. Actually I think this was the overwhelming sentiment from pretty much everyone I spoke to about it in person and a definite majority of those online. Dude is great at the things he does I just think a lot of people were like “how is this a thing and not a Kevin Shields thing” and honestly, how is there still not a Kevin Shields thing lol

pscates
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by pscates » Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:47 am

I'm late to this party, but copper - on anything - is gorgeous. No exception here.

I do think it would look really nice with a nice, dark rosewood neck, with blocks/binding. The contrast and all.

Forgive my 20-second Affinity Photo mockup...I think I did as bad of a neck join/angle as some of those real-life TVL models I've seen. :P