New Fender Troy Van Leeuwen Jazzmaster in Copper Age

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: New Fender Troy Van Leeuwen Jazzmaster in Copper Age

Post by Embenny » Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:47 am

Maggieo wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:30 am
Shut your mouth!!!
Oof, now this is awkward, because the only thing worse to me than a matching headstock on a maple board is the Christmas ornament effect of tort on green.

I thought that maybe we could overcome our differences, but I'm afraid that the tortification of such a guitar is a bridge too far. You normally have such a keen aesthetic sense. I think this is the first guitar of yours I've ever seen that I can't admire.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

SignoftheDragon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by SignoftheDragon » Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:47 pm

clarence leonidas wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:08 pm
got mine last week - very nice....... is it a limited edition or a new colour? idiots at fender australia know nothing.... :w00t:

Wow. I thought the old TVL Oxblood color scheme was as close to perfect as I was likely to find- none of the stock photos of this new color mix did much for me. But this. THIS.

Amazingly good looking in just the right off-kilter way.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:12 pm

mbene085 wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:47 am
Maggieo wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:30 am
Shut your mouth!!!
Oof, now this is awkward, because the only thing worse to me than a matching headstock on a maple board is the Christmas ornament effect of tort on green.

I thought that maybe we could overcome our differences, but I'm afraid that the tortification of such a guitar is a bridge too far. You normally have such a keen aesthetic sense. I think this is the first guitar of yours I've ever seen that I can't admire.
You know about my Jag, right?

And hey, I'm a Jew so Christmas, schimass!
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:20 pm

Maggieo wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:12 pm

Me too, but you don't seem to encounter too many other scenarios where red and green are combined with such impudence, hah! It's ok though, I accepted long ago that a lot of people have an attraction to tort that I'll never quite understand. It's kind of like the people who put ketchup on everything, and Sherwood Green is macaroni and cheese. Please keep the ketchup away from it!

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:25 pm

mbene085 wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:20 pm
Maggieo wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:12 pm

Me too, but you don't seem to encounter too many other scenarios where red and green are combined with such impudence, hah! It's ok though, I accepted long ago that a lot of people have an attraction to tort that I'll never quite understand. It's kind of like the people who put ketchup on everything, and Sherwood Green is macaroni and cheese. Please keep the ketchup away from it!
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Red & green are kind of hoky, but on Oliver and Green Arrow, it works. YMMV, which is cool.
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:29 pm

Maggieo wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:25 pm

Red & green are kind of hoky, but on Oliver and Green Arrow, it works. YMMV, which is cool.
Yeah, there's no accounting for taste. I'm a die-hard, lifelong applesauce and latkes person, but was raised by sour cream people. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

beninma
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by beninma » Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:17 am

preservation wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 12:58 pm
hrm... i simultaneously love and hate it.
Sums it up pretty well. The guitar itself is pretty sweet.. and nothing against Troy or his choices.

If you're not cool with the colors/pickguards I guess you just have to remember they're his choices, it's his signature guitar. I happen to think the Copper Age one is pretty fantastic. I think black block inlays on a Maple neck can look pretty goofy if the finish on the maple is too light. (E.x. Maple neck G&L Dohenys... too light IMO.) Fender nailed it here by putting a darker finish on the maple neck.

What I don't like that Fender is doing here is they're making it MIM and using the combination of putting Troy's name on it + the rhythm circuit as "hostage" features to charge a MIA price for this guitar. It's really obnoxious marketing IMO.

It better have MIA levels of quality if it has a MIA level of price, cause really it's just a pretty standard Jazzmaster. The parts in the rhythm circuit are nowhere near worth hundreds of dollars. This thing is in no way worth $500+ more than a Player Jazzmaster.

Fender kind of uses 7.25" radius as a justification for guitars costing hundreds of dollars more too.. that's just a weird one. Lots of us don't even like it so hard to be bothered I guess.

I paid less than this for my USA G&L Doheny... different set of features, but in the end it's all about the quality of the build. I have yet to play any Fender that wasn't custom shop that was anywhere close to my Doheny in terms of feel & build quality so I'd never ever pay $1300+ for a MIM Fender.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:32 am

mbene085 wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:29 pm
Maggieo wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:25 pm

Yeah, there's no accounting for taste. I'm a die-hard, lifelong applesauce and latkes person, but was raised by sour cream people. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
In all seriousness, my deepest condolences.

yours,
Maggie the applesauce lady

smalahove
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by smalahove » Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:57 pm

Love the color, and the maple neck, but I can’t wrap my head around the black blocks. The color just crashes against the others. Perhaps MOP or even a flat color like red or orange, but imo it would have been better without, with reg or customs dots (even in color). But that’s ok, it not my sig :-)

smalahove
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by smalahove » Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:59 pm

I think this looks rad though:

clarence leonidas
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by clarence leonidas » Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:06 pm

beninma wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:17 am
preservation wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 12:58 pm
hrm... i simultaneously love and hate it.
Sums it up pretty well. The guitar itself is pretty sweet.. and nothing against Troy or his choices.

If you're not cool with the colors/pickguards I guess you just have to remember they're his choices, it's his signature guitar. I happen to think the Copper Age one is pretty fantastic. I think black block inlays on a Maple neck can look pretty goofy if the finish on the maple is too light. (E.x. Maple neck G&L Dohenys... too light IMO.) Fender nailed it here by putting a darker finish on the maple neck.

What I don't like that Fender is doing here is they're making it MIM and using the combination of putting Troy's name on it + the rhythm circuit as "hostage" features to charge a MIA price for this guitar. It's really obnoxious marketing IMO.

It better have MIA levels of quality if it has a MIA level of price, cause really it's just a pretty standard Jazzmaster. The parts in the rhythm circuit are nowhere near worth hundreds of dollars. This thing is in no way worth $500+ more than a Player Jazzmaster.

Fender kind of uses 7.25" radius as a justification for guitars costing hundreds of dollars more too.. that's just a weird one. Lots of us don't even like it so hard to be bothered I guess.

I paid less than this for my USA G&L Doheny... different set of features, but in the end it's all about the quality of the build. I have yet to play any Fender that wasn't custom shop that was anywhere close to my Doheny in terms of feel & build quality so I'd never ever pay $1300+ for a MIM Fender.
My copper TVL does play extremely well, all i did was lower the bridge a tad out of the box everything else was set up made perfectly :) [its as good as or if not better than some AVRI's have sitting here.....go figure] perhaps its because I got one of the very first ones [in my experience i think they give first of new batch of new production model to experienced builders to put together, then it goes to luck of the draw as numbers ramp up and they make alot more of them if the product line is a success] you tend to get a better guitar if you buy an early release or it is part of a limited run/ FSR, unfortunately volume does not always improve quality or consistency neither does a higher price guarantee a BETTER guitar, yo!

JamesSGBrown
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JamesSGBrown » Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:40 pm

They still got the blocks wrong :fp:

algeriet
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by algeriet » Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:12 am

JamesSGBrown wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:40 pm
They still got the blocks wrong :fp:
I don't get this. Why do they continue to screw it up? Had the original TVL and this one had the right blocks I'd have gotten them. I also wonder if Troy himself notices it or questions why they're using the wrong size.

beninma
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by beninma » Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:39 am

Can someone point to correct vs incorrect blocks?

I have a G&L with blocks (but not a 100% maple neck like the TVL) and I'd have no idea what "correct" vs "incorrect" block inlays are for a Jazzmaster style guitar, especially since Jazzmasters weren't even originally made with block inlays.

I had to go google Jazzmaster history just to find out when the blocks showed up.

The TVL is near 100% vintage style AFAICT tell so I can see how you'd be bugged by the inlays not being vintage correct.

The weirdest thing to me about block inlays coming off only owning guitars with dot inlays is blocks can look crooked from different angles as you play due to the curvature of the fretboard. I can only imagine a 7.25" fretboard radius makes them look even more crooked. It's a weird detail to notice and a weird effect.. though I don't even really notice it anymore.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:27 am

beninma wrote: I have a G&L with blocks (but not a 100% maple neck like the TVL) and I'd have no idea what "correct" vs "incorrect" block inlays are for a Jazzmaster style guitar, especially since Jazzmasters weren't even originally made with block inlays.

I had to go google Jazzmaster history just to find out when the blocks showed up.

The TVL is near 100% vintage style AFAICT tell so I can see how you'd be bugged by the inlays not being vintage correct.
Jazzmasters were made with blocks from 1966 until they were officially discontinued in 1980, so the majority of their original run actually featured them, although they might have been built in higher numbers with dots since they weren't very popular in the 70's, I'm not sure about that.

The big difference between vintage Fender blocks and modern ones like the TVL is that vintage blocks maintain their width from higher to lower frets, so the first fret one nearly reaches the binding, and the upper frets have more space between them. The TVL's blocks narrow near the nut and widen near the heel, so the lower fret ones are way too narrow.

Vintage:

TVL:

I owned a TVL but have to say that I greatly prefer the vintage style blocks.