2008 thin skin colors confirmed

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
Targ
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: 2008 thin skin colors confirmed

Post by Targ » Thu May 01, 2008 11:56 pm

luau wrote: I don't know Targ. It seems a bit elaborate. I don't think there's a conspiracy afoot (remember there are 3 dealers participating) to keep sonic blue from you. Actually, if it's a Jag you're after, I know where two sonic blues are right now and one is new and listed at a used AVRI price. If sonic blue isn't what you are after, then what color are you looking for?

edit: I lied.. it's a touch more expensive than used AVRI. link.

Make it 3. MM has one on ebay ATM.
Well, yes, I want a jag, in Sherwood green. The reason I'm miffed is because they are doing fiesta red again, and that happens to be the the color of the thinskin  jazzy I purchased.
They said they were limited, and yet choose to make them again, not much of a limit if you ask me.
Do I think its a conspiracy, no.
But as long as they decide to trample on the "limited production" why didn't they do the sonic blue which was more popular?

Targ
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Targ » Fri May 02, 2008 12:36 am

This is what I had in mind

kle
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by kle » Fri May 02, 2008 1:26 am

B wrote: :)... I'm oiling my boxing gloves as we speak.
And, Brett....don't forget about the Clay Dots! ;)

B
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by B » Fri May 02, 2008 1:48 am

No, there is no conspiracy against you Targ. 

Believe it or not, we conceive this stuff because everyone involved actually are passionate about creating incredible, playable instruments for both guitar buffs and real musicians.  And as a bonus they get to be the next era of vintage dream machines 40 years from now... maybe.

But if I gave a hoot about the future value of my Sonic Blue Jazzmaster, I probably wouldn't wear a belt buckle when I play the thing... or loan it out for recording to friends... or even play it at all.  I bought it to play because it's the best Jazzmaster I have put my hands on.  Everything else is speculation and completely secondary to me.  Fact is, I have the opportunity to get guaranteed returns on financial investments simply due to the amount of actual vintage pieces I come across in a month.  Pieces where there is no speculation regarding their future value... they just go up.

If I were as greedy as was implied, I probably wouldn't have told that customer on Monday what his original 60's Mustang was really worth when he wanted to see if he could trade it in towards a beginner "Strat Pack" for his son.  I do this because I love guitars, I love to create music with guitars, and love the art that others create with guitars.  Period - End of discussion.

Now, in regards to the Fiesta Red issue.... Yeah, I don't know what's up with that, and I'd feel a bit miffed too if that is the case. But again, we are talking about unconfirmed information  here.  There could be a number of issues here (and I'm just guessing, btw)....

First, I don't believe there were 50 made last year, so that "Fiesta" option could be the remainder of that 50.  The whole "year" thing of these is weird anyways, as I was still receiving parts of what could be called the "2007s" all the way into 2008.

Whomever said that FR was an option may have been referring to the colors they will have available... they could have been owed a few from last year that they never received.  I got a Surf Green and a Sonic Blue Jaguar a week ago that was due to us last year to complete the number we expected.

OR, maybe that information is wrong.

Or yes... maybe they want more Fiesta Reds for whatever reason.  In which case, you should absolutely contact those involved in making that color choice and express your concerns and how you feel as a paying customer who purchased one and why you feel cheated.  If I purchased one for investment purposes (and many have) then I would certainly wish to express this issue, and I fully encourage you to do so.  I'm 100% on your side with the Fiesta issue, and I will bring it up as soon as I have someones ear... which is on Saturday. 

I also personally feel that Sherwood Green or Charcoal Frost is a better decision, if the Fiesta Red thing is true.  I too don't understand the logic there.  Or better yet... a completely new color that has never been offered on a Jag/JM.

Man, if it were up to me we'd have it all.... all the colors, the blocks, the binding, everyone's correct or needed specs, every model, every pickup, every type of finish, Brazilian rosewood, gold hardware options, "correct" tort guards and burst patterns, clay dots, limited runs of ...umm... four.  All of it.  But you know as well as I do that is never going to happen, and even if it did, there would be somebody out there who would still feel neglected.  But if you look at the past 20 years, I'd say things don't look too bad recently in offset land.... USA models with matching headstocks, 100% nitro finishes, lots of sweet colors, 1959 reissues, gold guards, signature models, vintage values climbing...

The history of offsets has been a roller-coaster from decade to decade, and to me that's part of the charm.  I look at 07 and 08 as just another chapter in the ongoing history of these guitars. 
Last edited by B on Fri May 02, 2008 2:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

JazzBlaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JazzBlaster » Fri May 02, 2008 1:57 am

B wrote: Man, if it were up to me we'd have it all.... all the colors, the blocks, the binding, everyone's correct or needed specs, every model, every pickup, every type of finish, Brazilian rosewood, gold hardware options, "correct" tort guards and burst patterns, clay dots, limited runs of ...umm... four.  All of it.  But you know as well as I do that is never going to happen, and even if it did, there would be somebody out there who would still feel neglected.   But if you look at the past 20 years, I'd say things don't look too bad recently in offset land.... USA models with matching headstocks, 100% nitro finishes, lots of sweet colors, 1959 reissues, gold guards, signature models, vintage values climbing...
and that's why we love you  ;)
It's not about the gear! It's about you, your hands, your imagination, your feelings.

B
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by B » Fri May 02, 2008 2:08 am

:D

I'm blushing.  But just so everyone knows... I'm still not taking Hot Pink Camouflage to the table. 

luau
Admin
Admin

Post by luau » Fri May 02, 2008 3:52 am

Ok, Targ. I understand. I was probably too sleepy to be posting last night. Let's hold tight as B suggests and see what transpires. And, you've got to admit, things are better now for us in terms of new production than they have been since when? The 60s?

I snagged one of the Shoreline Gold JMs out of that run and, to tell you the truth, I don't think I'd mind if they did it again this year. No amount of Shoreline JMs in circulation is going to make mine any less wonderful of an instrument. I don't think the value of mine would be greatly affected therefore. I understand that you disagree and respect that.
Bigger in sum than parts.

RumorsOFsurF
Mods
Mods

Post by RumorsOFsurF » Fri May 02, 2008 4:44 am

Thanks again for representing us, Brett.  I agree with David (Jazzblaster), that you've been a great friend to this forum, and Jazzmaster/Jag players in general.  :)
Damn kids, get off my lawn!

northern_dirt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by northern_dirt » Fri May 02, 2008 7:14 am

B wrote: :D

I'm blushing.  But just so everyone knows... I'm still not taking Hot Pink Camouflage to the table. 

:'(
'cleanest, best pleasure'

Marc
Expat
Expat

Post by Marc » Fri May 02, 2008 9:51 am

Okay

it's petition time!

The undersigned will not purchase any thinskin Jazzmaster or Jaguar unless a run or Charcoal Frost and Sherwood Green is included. (please sign under the colour you want). Hell I'm up for putting down a deposit to show I am serious.

CHARCOAL FROST

Marc Day

SHERWOOD GREEN
Yes the cat has opposing thumbs and extra digits.

seasick croc
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by seasick croc » Fri May 02, 2008 10:00 am

Good points. Thanks Brett!

Targ
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Targ » Fri May 02, 2008 11:06 am

B,
As I said, I don't think there is a conspiracy against me, I just pointed out it seemed fishy to not do a Sonic blue repeat run when it was clearly the most popular color.
I thank you in advance for bringing the fiesta red issue up, and that is all I can ask.
With all the color choices available, why would you ever want to do a repeat anything?
As for the late delivery's, That would go under the first production run, and I think the OP was saying this was info for the new run.
Please no repeats, I would even be happy with candy green before a repeat.
http://wildwoodguitars.com/electrics/fender/sigavts/

Targ
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Targ » Fri May 02, 2008 11:46 am

B,
While I admit that  I did a certain amount of "grand standing" to bring attention to my point, I did it only because nothing is final yet, and yes, I am your customer and purchased my Fiesta Red Jazzmaster from Music Machine.
This is my ebay name as well. So in a way, I was trying to get a hold of the shop I deal with and bring it to their (your) attention how I feel about it.
If you look at my past posts you will see that I tend to buy guitars that all have something special about them such as a 340 Ric with vibrato and vintage wound pickups instead of a run of the mill 330, A thin skin Jazzmaster with matching headstock over a ....
You get my point.
I hope to be a future customer as well.

idiotbear

Post by idiotbear » Fri May 02, 2008 12:16 pm

luau wrote: I snagged one of the Shoreline Gold JMs out of that run and, to tell you the truth, I don't think I'd mind if they did it again this year. No amount of Shoreline JMs in circulation is going to make mine any less wonderful of an instrument.
+1

My shoreline is the best guitar I've ever played, period. I know people DO buy guitars as investments, but I'm not one of them. I bought it because I loved it, and because I wanted to play it. I could honestly give a fuck how many of them exist.

Targ
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Targ » Fri May 02, 2008 12:44 pm

idiotbear wrote:
luau wrote: I snagged one of the Shoreline Gold JMs out of that run and, to tell you the truth, I don't think I'd mind if they did it again this year. No amount of Shoreline JMs in circulation is going to make mine any less wonderful of an instrument.
+1

My shoreline is the best guitar I've ever played, period. I know people DO buy guitars as investments, but I'm not one of them. I bought it because I loved it, and because I wanted to play it. I could honestly give a fuck how many of them exist.
Thats great! it's a rare thing now a days that you can pick up a guitar and honestly say its the best guitar you have ever played, and get to own it too.
With so many choices out there, did you get to Play it first? or was it just luck on a mail order? If mail order how dose "I bought it because I loved it" work? anyhooo  Is it a Jag or Jazz?
I too love the shoreline gold, but have that color stratocaster already, and I like to mix things up a bit.
As for collecting vs daily playing, there is room in this world for both, besides, one side helps the other  :P
Last edited by Targ on Fri May 02, 2008 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.