New Squier Starcasters - Classic Vibe, Contemporary, and Affinity

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
Mechanical Birds
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: New Squier Starcasters - Classic Vibe, Contemporary, and Affinity

Post by Mechanical Birds » Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:08 am

Debaser wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:13 pm
Mechanical Birds wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:26 am
Feel like I should point out that if I were gonna put a trem on one of these, and I would without question, I’d take the Les over a Bigsby 100/100. Bigsby would be a whole lot less shitty to me if the bar didn’t have that obstruction thing that keeps you from moving it completely over the strings. People usually have a hard time understanding what I mean with that - just imagine doing the Kevin Shields thing where you hold the bar always - can’t do it on a Bigsby and the bar won’t move up past like the high e. Sucks!
Didn’t even know this was a thing but now it’s like, why are all of them not like this

I usually get a “Chet” arm bracket so I can do exactly that (MIA Bigsby only, or extra mods). It allows for 360 degrees of rotation. I plant it under my forearm and do the KS thing, or even Chet’s pre-bend thing. Haven’t done it to all my Bigsby guitars, only my go-to Tele.

MechaBulletBill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MechaBulletBill » Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:23 am

Debaser wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:13 pm
Man, I thought long and hard about getting one of these decoboom pickguards for my tele and seeing yours makes me wish I'd gone for it! :fp:

manwithtitties
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by manwithtitties » Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:17 am

Bradley-Jazz wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:17 am
Hi

Mine arrived a week or so ago. Here it is out the box

Mine was actually about in tune when I opened it - the staples had been pulled and I think GuitarGuitar had fettled it a little bit. My impressions are very similar to Debaser's except that I like the thinner neck. The fretwork is great, and the fit and finish superb for the price. It sounds good to me, not muddy at all. I'm least impressed with the pots - feel and sweep could be much smoother, but not so much that I need to change them now.

I have changed the the bridge and stop bar - I've put on a roller bridge and Les Trem.

It's the first Les Trem I've used, but I'm really impressed. The bridge is made out of two cheap roller bridges - the first one (apparently from the Wilkinson factory) was nice, but the string spacing was a bit narrow. The second one is cruder but wider, so I've put the saddles on it from the nicer one. I've out brass shims under the saddles to adjust the radius.

I'm pretty happy...
Hell yeah this rules so much! I love thin necks! How does the les trem compare to a jazzy’s?

Bradley-Jazz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Bradley-Jazz » Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:06 am

It's more direct - there is less "give" in the system, especially with the very thick trem bar. It is smooth in operation, and seems to hold tune well. You can do subtle warbles but need to go at it more softly. I think I maybe prefer it to my CV Mustang trem, but it is almost as direct.

It is different to a Jazzmaster trem - you probably don't have as much control with the Les Trem because of the smaller arm movement for the same pitch change. If I could only have one trem, it would be the Jazzy, but very happy to use both systems.
All the cheeses....

manwithtitties
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by manwithtitties » Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:00 am

Bradley-Jazz wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:06 am
It's more direct - there is less "give" in the system, especially with the very thick trem bar. It is smooth in operation, and seems to hold tune well. You can do subtle warbles but need to go at it more softly. I think I maybe prefer it to my CV Mustang trem, but it is almost as direct.

It is different to a Jazzmaster trem - you probably don't have as much control with the Les Trem because of the smaller arm movement for the same pitch change. If I could only have one trem, it would be the Jazzy, but very happy to use both systems.
So its a bit harder to do the kevin shields thing i assume? Btw, i say this as a big burst-hater, but your guitar has some of the nicest bursts ive seen

Unicorn Warrior
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Unicorn Warrior » Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:46 am

manwithtitties wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:00 am
Bradley-Jazz wrote:

So its a bit harder to do the kevin shields thing i assume? Btw, i say this as a big burst-hater, but your guitar has some of the nicest bursts ive seen
I came here to say you still have the best name on the forum.

Bradley-Jazz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Bradley-Jazz » Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:48 am

Thanks! It looks good to me.

And no, the Les Trem is not the best trem for loose KS type stuff - it stays where you put it, so not great to strum with it in your hand, and I think you’d be bending it up and down all the time if you tried.
All the cheeses....

manwithtitties
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by manwithtitties » Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:23 pm

Unicorn Warrior wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:46 am
manwithtitties wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:00 am
Bradley-Jazz wrote:

I came here to say you still have the best name on the forum.
thanks! i regret it now, but the mod wouldnt let me change it to "peepeanutsack"

aliendawg
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by aliendawg » Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:59 pm

I mean... I guess all men have titties right?
"With the resurgence of offsets it seems like we're also seeing a resurgence of people who don't know what to do with them" - 601210

CROSS_guitars
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by CROSS_guitars » Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:19 pm

manwithtitties wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:17 am
Bradley-Jazz wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:17 am
Hi

Mine arrived a week or so ago. Here it is out the box

Mine was actually about in tune when I opened it - the staples had been pulled and I think GuitarGuitar had fettled it a little bit. My impressions are very similar to Debaser's except that I like the thinner neck. The fretwork is great, and the fit and finish superb for the price. It sounds good to me, not muddy at all. I'm least impressed with the pots - feel and sweep could be much smoother, but not so much that I need to change them now.

I have changed the the bridge and stop bar - I've put on a roller bridge and Les Trem.

It's the first Les Trem I've used, but I'm really impressed. The bridge is made out of two cheap roller bridges - the first one (apparently from the Wilkinson factory) was nice, but the string spacing was a bit narrow. The second one is cruder but wider, so I've put the saddles on it from the nicer one. I've out brass shims under the saddles to adjust the radius.

I'm pretty happy...
Hell yeah this rules so much! I love thin necks! How does the les trem compare to a jazzy’s?
Damn, that's nice!

Debaser
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Debaser » Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:28 pm

MechaBulletBill wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:23 am
Man, I thought long and hard about getting one of these decoboom pickguards for my tele and seeing yours makes me wish I'd gone for it! :fp:
*derail warning*

I bought 4 Streamline guards and even though I sold off 2 of those guitars already, I’d do it again for the right one. :blush:

50,000 watts out of Mexico, this is the BorderRadio...

thisisnickpaige
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by thisisnickpaige » Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:24 am

Debaser wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:28 pm
I bought 4 Streamline guards and even though I sold off 2 of those guitars already, I’d do it again for the right one. :blush:
Man, those guards look so nice, especially on the Supro! Now do you think they’d make one for the Starcaster? (...aaaaand we’re back. :D )
Jesus

Mechanical Birds
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mechanical Birds » Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:48 am

Bradley-Jazz wrote:

I was real surprised at how much it manipulated the pitch - really deep and easily manipulated. Nothing like the offset trem. Can’t wait to get mine!

aliendawg
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by aliendawg » Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:31 pm

Ok so those still come with PAF humbuckers basically?
"With the resurgence of offsets it seems like we're also seeing a resurgence of people who don't know what to do with them" - 601210

vistavision
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by vistavision » Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:34 pm

aliendawg wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:31 pm
Ok so those still come with PAF humbuckers basically?
Yep. Debaser's post on the previous page has a picture of one opened up.
I'm sure some Fender dealer in '64 looked at the new Duo-Sonic II and thought, "That's not a Duo-Sonic. That's a Mustang".