New Squier Starcasters - Classic Vibe, Contemporary, and Affinity

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
Debaser
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: New Squier Starcasters - Classic Vibe, Contemporary, and Affinity

Post by Debaser » Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:57 pm

Bigsby installed, easy set up.

I lucked out with the bridge. It’s a dBridge made for the Supro I recently sold, but it still works on the Starcaster, just needed a minor adjustment for the 9.5” radius 8)

I slotted the nut correctly, and polished the slots. Set up for 10s, I had to adjust the truss rod. I tried my ‘low action’ setting first and I have to say, this is some of the nicest fretwork I’ve seen on a Squier CV, period. No buzz.

50,000 watts out of Mexico, this is the BorderRadio...

Bradley-Jazz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Bradley-Jazz » Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:27 pm

Nice, very nice!

Does the Bigsby cover the stop bar holes, or have you done something there?
All the cheeses....

ludobag1
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ludobag1 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:05 am

seems there is a vibramate here ;)

Debaser
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Debaser » Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:29 am

Thanks guys. Yes I used a Vibramate V5, which mounts to the stud bushings. I don't care for vibramates (just screw it in and learn how to string a Bigsby :freako: ), but in this case it makes the Bigsby better, since the break angle is relieved and footing for the B5 mounted flat instead of trying to make it conform to a curved surface.

I bought some inexpensive flying saucer knobs, I think it's much better than the black ones. I tried removing the aluminum knob top plate (?!), but these are well made knobs actually. I've done some spendy things to my guitars before but paying over 100 bucks for vintage knobs is too much vanity for me ::)

Pacafeliz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Pacafeliz » Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:08 pm

Nice!!!

So, any 1st hand experience with the affinity ones?
i love delay SO much ...that i procrastinate all the time.

amv
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by amv » Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:22 pm

Debaser wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:29 am
Thanks guys. Yes I used a Vibramate V5, which mounts to the stud bushings. I don't care for vibramates (just screw it in and learn how to string a Bigsby :freako: ), but in this case it makes the Bigsby better, since the break angle is relieved and footing for the B5 mounted flat instead of trying to make it conform to a curved surface.

I bought some inexpensive flying saucer knobs, I think it's much better than the black ones. I tried removing the aluminum knob top plate (?!), but these are well made knobs actually. I've done some spendy things to my guitars before but paying over 100 bucks for vintage knobs is too much vanity for me ::)

Dude. The bridge, the Bigsby, the knobs, that gorgeous finish? You have officially killed it. Incredible.

travisbrowning
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by travisbrowning » Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:15 pm

Not sure if the shop I went to set this thing up before hand but I went in just to buy strings and absolutely could NOT put this thing down. Still wasn't going to buy it but the sales guy let me plug it in. Then gave me 10% off. So much guitar for the money, it's really a joy to play. Only downside is the pickups are a little dark to me but I've pretty much only played single coils for a decade, still have to experiment with pickup/pole piece height and adjusting my amp/pedal settings.

https://lazarusband.bandcamp.com

Debaser
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Debaser » Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:23 pm

amv wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:22 pm
Dude. The bridge, the Bigsby, the knobs, that gorgeous finish? You have officially killed it. Incredible.
Thanks man! :whistle:

carron
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by carron » Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:35 pm

Debaser wrote:

Debaser, this looks beautiful. What is that bridge exactly? Looks like it is solid brass.

Mechanical Birds
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mechanical Birds » Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:09 pm

amv wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:22 pm
Debaser wrote:

Yeah, that walnut looks damn good. I want a black one more than any other colors they’ve done but no way am I springing for the 2x priced fender version. I wonder how cheaply I could get one refinned to like, Inca Silver or LPB along with the headstock carve? Olympic White would look cool too and I’m not usually a huge fan.

Mechanical Birds
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mechanical Birds » Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:15 pm

Last summer in DC at the coolest used guitar store ever they had a 70s Twin that somebody had replaced all the knobs with Starcaster/Fender Blender knobs and for a moment an employee agreed to sell them all to me for $20 but as we were settling up the owner insisted I give them $60 so I walked.

Debaser
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Debaser » Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:17 am

carron wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:35 pm
Debaser, this looks beautiful. What is that bridge exactly? Looks like it is solid brass.
It's a d-Bridge (link https://www.db-guitars.com/), milled from solid brass. Just a happy customer here, I found out about these through Gretsch-dom. Unlike other bar bridges, which are less specific for string gauge and bridge position, these bridges are made with the exact placement of your existing TOM saddles. Of course, one has to know the strings they will use and have their guitar set up exactly as they like it, then photograph the saddle position, and measure a few other specs for him.

Strange enough, this bridge was made for a Supro with a 12" radius. I filed a few slots to make it 9.5" radius. I checked intonation and it was spot on except a plain string. I got very lucky with it. I was able to file a bit to bring the "saddle" back, but I can't bring it forward since the bridge posts are stud mounted.

Benefits are no rattle, increased sustain, and better tuning stability with Bigsby use, IME.

postchrist
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by postchrist » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:51 am

Debaser wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:57 pm
looks absolutely incredible!! any other mods planned?
lying dog-faced pony soldier.

Mechanical Birds
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mechanical Birds » Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:19 pm

Aiming for one of these for Christmas but surprisingly got to strum one at the store this weekend and was beyond impressed. I got to play one of the MP ones a while back and it was great but this one was noticibly better. The only thing that annoyed me was how far the neck stuck out from the body, and at a weird angle, like the part that sits in the neck pocket was pointing up at a 45 degree angle. It played really well and had great fretwork, I just wish that they hadn’t messed with the design so much. Like I’d love more than anything to get a real reissue of these things but for ~$350/400, I try to look at them the same way I’d view old weird MIJ copy guitars. In that sense, they’re great and I’m very thankful they exist. I guess I also wish they were flat on top so I could put the trem I want in there but you can’t win them all.

TL;DR - these Squiers are great fucking awesome guitars and I’m really excited about getting one.

seenoevil II
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by seenoevil II » Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:36 pm

So, on paper, I should really hate these. Everything about them is "wrong." Active pup starcaster? :k No f holes? :k

But, it kind of turns me on. Like a guilty pleasure thing. I don't even want to buy another Squier. I don't want to support Cort (or worse if they're made in China). And I hate the way Fender bastardizes old designs to parlay profits from our nostalgia for classic shapes. I get all flustered and start playing with my hair when I look at these.

They tap into my secret desire to be a futuristic robot version of Trey Anastasio.

I can see Ed Rodriguez of Deerhoof playing one of these (if he ever stops playing the signature model and why would he?).

+

Edit: spelling
If it wasn't for disappointment, I wouldn't have any appointments.