What do people think of the new pink paisley Jazzmasters?

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
castun1138
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: What do people think of the new pink paisley Jazzmasters?

Post by castun1138 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:48 pm

I would never admit this anywhere else.....but.....i think they look pretty damn cool. Especially the pink one... :blush:

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:28 am

86runner wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:49 pm
Put a Mastery on mine this afternoon and it increased its awesome'ness by lots and lots. I'm finding the wiring will have to be replaced ASAP. Volume is unusable if you'd like to retain any treble. I'm going to pick up a good wiring harness for it and replace it all. Now I just have to figure out if I want 1M or 500K pots. Also, my vibrato arm is VERY loose. Won't stay in at all. That'll have to be remedied very soon too. There's so much play that it's almost unusable. Any movements have to be very exaggerated to provide the smallest warble. Arm rocks in the collet a lot. Looks like I'll be visiting Staytrem's site sooner rather than later. Shoulda ordered the other day because now the site's down until Tuesday. Ah well. Other than that, I have ZERO problems with mine. I love it!
On a Jazzmaster, always go with the 1000K pots; it's a major part of their sound. I speak from experience. :fp:

I prefer the blue flower pattern on the Jazzmaster, but Damn, I'm already pretty invested in pink Paisley...

Syd The Paisley Tele And A Madcap Amp, September 21, 2014 by Maggie Osterberg, on Flickr

Oh, and a technical note on the photographs of the PP Jazzmasters- if the guard looks blue, it probably isn't. the photographer just got the white balance wrong and that creates that false blue tint. I've yet to see a PP guitar in person with that weird blue tint.
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

86runner
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by 86runner » Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:27 am

I have 500Ks in another Jazzmaster and I really dig it! I may stick with 1M in this one just to have variation. I haven't had a chance to A/B them yet, but am looking forward to doing so.

86runner
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by 86runner » Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:25 pm

Update with a question: I pulled the guard briefly today and noticed this has full size CTS pots in it. Is that normal for MIJ guitars? This is my first (aside from an Epi Elite LP, some Gretsches and a Greco SA900), so I guess it's my first Fender MIJ. I was going to replace everything, but I may just have to re-wire it with a treble bleed. Seems the components may be decent. I was pleasantly surprised.
Last edited by 86runner on Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

sunburster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sunburster » Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:51 pm

86runner wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:25 pm
Update with a question: I pulled the guard briefly today and noticed this has full size CTS pots in it. Is that normal for MIJ guitars? This is my first (aside from an Epi Elite LP and a Greco SA900), so I guess it's my first Fender MIJ. I was going to replace everything, but I may just have to re-wire it with a treble bleed. Seems the components may be decent. I was pleasantly surprised.
Very interesting! CIJs/MIJs from 1996 up until 2017, at least, had mini pots. The ones before 1996 had full-size pots (not CTS though).

solfege
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by solfege » Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:04 am

sunburster wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:51 pm
86runner wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:25 pm
Update with a question: I pulled the guard briefly today and noticed this has full size CTS pots in it. Is that normal for MIJ guitars? This is my first (aside from an Epi Elite LP and a Greco SA900), so I guess it's my first Fender MIJ. I was going to replace everything, but I may just have to re-wire it with a treble bleed. Seems the components may be decent. I was pleasantly surprised.
Very interesting! CIJs/MIJs from 1996 up until 2017, at least, had mini pots. The ones before 1996 had full-size pots (not CTS though).
I did not know that. My '94 MIJ JM has the full sized ones. One wonders if that's related to the fact that I don't feel as if the wiring is as shit as people often say the wiring in MIJ/CIJ guitars is. Debated and rejected redoing it awhile ago. It's fine.

sunburster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sunburster » Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:28 pm

I never had any problems with the stock mini pots of CIJ/MIJs. They worked really well, and are just as durable as full-size pots, in my experience. If everything works as it should I wouldn't change the wiring unless you want some different value (or taper) in the pots, otherwise it's sort of a waste.

solfege
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by solfege » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:52 pm

sunburster wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:28 pm
If everything works as it should I wouldn't change the wiring unless you want some different value (or taper) in the pots, otherwise it's sort of a waste.
That's the conclusion I came to.

B
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by B » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:07 am

I just bought a pink one. I tried to hold off, as I need another Jazzmaster like I need a hole in the head. I just couldn't resist its looks any longer. I should have it by Friday. :fp:

agiehler
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by agiehler » Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:19 am

B wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:07 am
I just bought a pink one. I tried to hold off, as I need another Jazzmaster like I need a hole in the head. I just couldn't resist its looks any longer. I should have it by Friday. :fp:
HNGD!

I find the pink oddly satisfying and super retro cool.

86runner
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by 86runner » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:50 am

B wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:07 am
Great purchase! You'll love it! It beckoned to me until I could no longer stand it, either!

pscates
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by pscates » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:36 am

I'd play one! In the late 80's, I owned a pink paisley Tele, like the one seen upthread next to the matching Princeton Reverb. Like a goon, I sold it around 1992. It's always been "the one that got away". This was pre-Brad Paisley, of course, so the attention/looks it got, 30 years ago...well, you can imagine! That look is slightly more commonplace/"cool" now, due to Paisley. But it was a definite out-of-left-field conversation-starter back then, for sure! The number of pretty women who came up to me to talk during breaks, or after a gig, simply because of that pink, paisley guitar I was playing is incalculable! I will forever be in Fender's debt...and it's why I'll never poo-poo/deride a pink-hued guitar (Shell Pink, Burgundy Mist, the above, etc.). They're absolute "magnets"... ;D

In any case, sure...I think they're awesome, just purely on the eye-catching visual appeal (see above).

I didn't realize these things were being made until I was housesitting in KC back in July and stopped at a music store in Shawnee Mission, where they had a new, shiny blue flower Jazzmaster hanging on the wall. When I got home I did some Googling and learned of their existence.

I've yet to see a pink paisley one in real life, but the blue flower Jazzmaster was really gorgeous. As is the case with a lot of things, photos don't really do it justice. The color, sheen, chrome, etc. just all "pop" so much nicer in real life!

tinybobseger
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by tinybobseger » Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:10 pm

Can anyone who has played one these speak to the shape of the neck? How is it compared to other "new" jazzmasters (am original, AVRI)?

iainmayfield
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by iainmayfield » Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:43 pm

Having played mine last night it has quite a thin neck - its 7.25 radius anyway - the whole package is quite a light a guitar - feels similar to my AVRI62 but overall a lot lighter. -in fact it feels the same as my 90's MIJ JM.

B
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by B » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:24 pm

BlueMelody wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:10 pm
@Kramertron2000 No cheap hardware or electronics with the one I just got, pickups are great too. I asked Fender which ones they used and this was their response:

“Thanks for contacting us. They do not appear to be the exact same as our Pure Vintage 65 pickups we make here in the States, but it will be built to the same specs just over in Japan. I hope this helps!”
Just wanted to add some clarity to some things mentioned earlier. I just got mine in, gave it a setup, and have been giving it a whirl. I very much dig it. Fit, finish, feel, fretwork, quality/look of the rosewood fretboard, properly cut bone nut. Typical high quality Japanese workmanship that we're already used to (actually, probably a little bit better) and very happy with the purchase. And yes, pics online do not do justice to how badass these look in person.

But for those of you who don't have the luxury of seeing one firsthand before you buy one, or for those already familiar with owning a MIJ Fender before, yeah, they still cheap out on the hardware and electronics. And sorry kids, but it's the same old Strat-ish pickups they've always been. Bad sounding? Absolutely not. Built to USA specs/same sound? Not even close.

Still a great guitar and I'm glad I grabbed one!