What do people think of the new pink paisley Jazzmasters?

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
Kramertron 2000
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

What do people think of the new pink paisley Jazzmasters?

Post by Kramertron 2000 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:27 am

Anyone bought one yet?

Im currently renting a TVL Jazz, but Iv always wanted a pink paisley guitar, so now there is a Jazzmaster with this finish I have major GAS.

Im stuck with the TVL until early next year (oh what a shame :D ), but Im kind of half considering just renting the paisley as well and seeing which I prefer, then sending the loser back, and saving to buy the winner.

Do you think the paisleys, being a special edition and with a nitro (correct me if Im wrong on that) finish will hold their value better than the TVL? Neither seem to be all that common, but the TVL is more expensive, has the american pickups and hardware, plus the nice block inlays and matching headstock and case.

Anyway I think the pink and blue are both pretty awesome, but definitely something people will either love or hate.

Keen to hear others' opinions

NICQ
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: What do people think of the new pink paisley Jazzmasters?

Post by NICQ » Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:23 am

How can you rent a guitar for half a year?

Kramertron 2000
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Kramertron 2000 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:59 am

Many guitar stores in Australia offer rental through a 3rd party (studio 19), where basically they buy the instrument and rent it to you. They offer minimum periods of 6 and 12 months (where renting for the 12 month minumum gives you a cheaper monthly price), and after the minimum period you can either keep renting, send it back or at any time you can apply to buy it (which gets less the longer you have it, but overall you would be paying about an extra 20% minimum on what the guitar costs if you include what you've paid in rental payments).

So I started renting the TVL jazz in like march, and I selected the 12 month period, so if I want to send it back I cant until march next year. Iv also been renting a VM jag for a couple of years now (the rental is peanuts for a fairly cheap guitar like that), and I like it so much I plan on buying it soon (which will be like $100Au). Its good if you arent sure if you will like the one you want or you have to buy online, which in Australia if you want any choice and you dont live in Melbourne or Sydney is pretty much your only option, or if you dont have a lot of money, but can afford to pay a bit each month.

So far Im liking the TVL, but Im not sure Iv really bonded with it for some reason. Iv always wanted a paisley guitar, since I saw one of the strats in my local music store as a kid, and now that there is a Jazzmaster version Im struck with the GAS again :D

redchapterjubilee
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by redchapterjubilee » Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:23 am

Austin Vintage has both the Japanese limited edition JM’s in stock. The pink paisley looks better in person than photographed. The blue flower though is a stunner. I had a hard time not heating up the credit card for it.

Kramertron 2000
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Kramertron 2000 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:51 am

Yea, my memory of the strats and teles Iv seen IRL is that they are much less garish than they look in pictures, and they look even better once they have started to age and the white plastics and the clear coat have yellowed a bit.

If Im honest, I think the blue looks better on the Jazz than the pink, but the pattern always makes me think of shower curtains for some reason :D The big problem with both (especially for a guy), is that they kind of require the player to match their wardrobe to them to not look silly. That isnt a problem for me though because a. I haven't played on a stage in about 10 years, and dont see myself being on one any time soon either (Im still getting back into it after a break from playing for about 5 years), and b. I consider myself a kind of fashionable guy anyway 8)

I wonder how collectable these will be though - I know the strats and teles can be sought after, but only for the right people (so they tend to hold value, but dont always sell quickly). Im pretty sure the jaguar in the pink is quite rare, so I wonder how long these will be made for. There appears to be only one online store in Australia that has them on their website, but it has to be ordered in, and I cant find any reviews apart from a couple of youtube demos.

Marc
Expat
Expat

Post by Marc » Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:33 pm

Kramertron 2000 wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:51 am
Yea, my memory of the strats and teles Iv seen IRL is that they are much less garish than they look in pictures, and they look even better once they have started to age and the white plastics and the clear coat have yellowed a bit.

If Im honest, I think the blue looks better on the Jazz than the pink, but the pattern always makes me think of shower curtains for some reason :D The big problem with both (especially for a guy), is that they kind of require the player to match their wardrobe to them to not look silly. That isnt a problem for me though because a. I haven't played on a stage in about 10 years, and dont see myself being on one any time soon either (Im still getting back into it after a break from playing for about 5 years), and b. I consider myself a kind of fashionable guy anyway 8)

I wonder how collectable these will be though - I know the strats and teles can be sought after, but only for the right people (so they tend to hold value, but dont always sell quickly). Im pretty sure the jaguar in the pink is quite rare, so I wonder how long these will be made for. There appears to be only one online store in Australia that has them on their website, but it has to be ordered in, and I cant find any reviews apart from a couple of youtube demos.
I took a 5 year break as well... Life got in the way and had to sell everything. Feels like a distant bad memory now.

Kramertron 2000
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Kramertron 2000 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:25 pm

It always sucks having to give up something you love, but I find its not too difficult to pick it up even after a fairly long time like that. Plus now at least in my case Im financially in a much better position than I was back then (although not for long - Im about to apply to do a PhD :fp: ).

Right now Im just going back over the basics, but Iv always been as much or more of a collector than a player, so I like to accumulate gear that speaks to me.

wooderson
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by wooderson » Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:22 pm

The paisleys aren't nitro and I wouldn't count on them being particularly more valuable than any similar JM long term.

The TVL has the same pickups as higher dollar American JMs, the paisley has the MIJ JM pickups that aren't thought of as highly.
However, the guitars themselves seem to look great to me.

Kramertron 2000
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Kramertron 2000 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:24 pm

The paisleys aren't nitro and I wouldn't count on them being particularly more valuable than any similar JM long term.
You sure they arent nitro? The product description in this link says "all models in the Made in Japan limited series are finished with a labour intensive laquer finish..."

https://www.mannys.com.au/fender-japan- ... nk-paisley

I agree with the TVL having much better hardware and electronics though. The pickups on the paisley would have to be changed to proper jazzmaster ones.

leokula
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by leokula » Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:57 am

I really don't like how the TVL looks... there, I said it. I hate that color, somehow that guitar doesn't speak to me at all.

I don't care for the pink paisley one, but the blue one with the flowers... OMG, that's beautiful, I'd rock that.
Jaguar > Jazzmaster :)

TeenageShutdown!
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by TeenageShutdown! » Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:19 am

They look like stupid flower power hippie shit to me. Differnt strokes. Some ppl like chocolate & some like vanilla.

Marc
Expat
Expat

Post by Marc » Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:15 am

I quite like the finish but as mentioned they look a bit better once they have yellowed and settled in a bit. I just wish that Fender Japan could improve the hardware a little but doubt that will happen because it puts them in competition with the Mexican guitars which in terms of woodworking are not quite as nice IMO.

I've seen some more faded custom shop Paisley JMs which I also like and also seen one or two where there is a kind of goldburst around the edge of the pink that looked good. Couln't find a photo sorry.

This is pretty cool - described as 'paisley' but it is some other pattern wallcovering, It's a refin but don't know if it was done at the Fender factory.

Nevets
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Nevets » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:13 am

I'd love one of the blue floral Jazzmasters. Would go well with my blue floral strat, tele, and princeton reverb. Too many guitars already though.

BlueMelody
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BlueMelody » Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:14 pm

I have the blue floral, pix can’t capture how beautiful looking it is in person! The quality is right up there with the nicest USA JM’s I’ve owned or played, it’s flawless. Really in love with this one, even considering getting the pink paisley too. The finish is meticulous, but it’s poly not nitro...which is perfectly fine with me.

wooderson
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by wooderson » Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:19 pm

Kramertron 2000 wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:24 pm
You sure they arent nitro? The product description in this link says "all models in the Made in Japan limited series are finished with a labour intensive laquer finish..."

https://www.mannys.com.au/fender-japan- ... nk-paisley

I agree with the TVL having much better hardware and electronics though. The pickups on the paisley would have to be changed to proper jazzmaster ones.
Maybe Australia got a different run but there have been almost no lacquer MIJ Fenders in the past and all the American listings for these say polyester. If they were going to spring for the more labor intensive finish, I'd think they'd have the Pure Vintage '65 pickups as well.