The difference in TONE between the Jaguar and Jazzmaster

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
ZiggyZipgun
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: The difference in TONE between the Jaguar and Jazzmaster

Post by ZiggyZipgun » Sat Sep 24, 2022 5:47 am

Larsongs wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:47 pm
Can't remember but it was either Keith Richards or Carlos Santana that said, "Give me a few minutes with any Guitar & Amp & I'll sound like me".
David Gilmour also said something along those lines - so it was particularly interesting that his auction a few years ago included a Jaguar that he claims he'd used quite a lot in the studio!

Old thread, I know, and I did use the search function. I do wish there was slightly more scientific info out there comparing Jazzmaster and Jaguar pickups, but whatever.

My real beef with these threads is the talk of string tension - if the tension is lower on a shorter scale guitar, it's only because you're using the wrong strings. I think the shorter scale is a benefit because it allows you to use heavier strings with more mass, which throws a wrench in any pickup comparison anyway. Or, you can just tune it...half an octave higher - I currently have Ultra Light .008's on my Jaguar, and it's tuned up to A#. The Jaguar was Fender's first model with 22 frets, but I'm getting four notes higher than a 24-fret "super Strat", and it's actually designed to have access to those frets. The Jaguar's also built the same way as a Bass VI, with the same string spacing at the nut and bridge, which means you can turn it into a baritone and actually have more comfortable spacing over much of the neck. I'll let you know how that goes when my custom Newtone strings arrive!