The difference in TONE between the Jaguar and Jazzmaster

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
Grey
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: The difference in TONE between the Jaguar and Jazzmaster

Post by Grey » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:57 am

Francer wrote:There's plenty of internet for everyone, it should be able to cope with the odd duplicate thread.
Okay, but what happens when the internet runs out?? Don't you want to leave any internet for future generations? Did you know that using the search function instead of posting a new topic can decrease post-related emissions by 50% or more?

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy_tchp » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:12 am

So are those Squier (sorry, 'Squire'...) offsets any good? Don't really hear much about them.
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

Francer
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Francer » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:33 am

Grey wrote:
Francer wrote:There's plenty of internet for everyone, it should be able to cope with the odd duplicate thread.
Okay, but what happens when the internet runs out?? Don't you want to leave any internet for future generations? Did you know that using the search function instead of posting a new topic can decrease post-related emissions by 50% or more?
I will concede those are good points, server farm emissions are one of the many things sending us to hell in a handcart and as a parent I do want to leave some internet for future generations. Maybe I'll switch my position .... ;)
andy_tchp wrote:So are those Squier (sorry, 'Squire'...) offsets any good? Don't really hear much about them.
Hang on let me just SEARCH Squier for you, just as I thought 38000 results, is that enough? - damn n00Bs!

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy_tchp » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:45 am

Yebbut how do they compare to AVRIs, Thin Skins, Custom Shop instruments, the new Professional series, Lee Ranaldo Signature model, Thurston Moore Signature model, American Specials, Elvis Costello Signature model, AV65s, Classic Players, Classic Lacquers, Cobain signature model/s, the Roadworn series, Fender Japan instruments, The Squier J Mascis Signature model, the Fender Japan J Mascis Signature model, or the Johnny Marr Signature model?

I read somewhere that they're just as good, right? Especially if I replace the pickups, tuners, nut, string trees, strap buttons, neck, bridge, tremolo, body, pickguard and electronics, plus I can get a decal for $25 .
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

Francer
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Francer » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:26 am

andy_tchp wrote:Yebbut how do they compare to AVRIs, Thin Skins, Custom Shop instruments, the new Professional series, Lee Ranaldo Signature model, Thurston Moore Signature model, American Specials, Elvis Costello Signature model, AV65s, Classic Players, Classic Lacquers, Cobain signature model/s, the Roadworn series, Fender Japan instruments, The Squier J Mascis Signature model, the Fender Japan J Mascis Signature model, or the Johnny Marr Signature model?

I read somewhere that they're just as good, right? Especially if I replace the pickups, tuners, nut, string trees, strap buttons, neck, bridge, tremolo, body, pickguard and electronics, plus I can get a decal for $25 .
You certainly can compare them, there's no doubt about that. The main difference will be in the tones, especially between Jaguars and Jazzmasters,if you're interested there's a very interesting discussion on that Here.

i can't say any more, I just heard the internet is nearly fu

Jaguar018
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jaguar018 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:26 am

I find the people that moan about using the search function are more annoying than the people that are asking an oft-repeated question. >:( Come on. I know we are mostly internet strangers here, but you don't need to act like a smart-ass. If you roll your eyes too much they might get stuck up there! When a new person comes on here there is no need to get so snarky. Give him/her a few links and a little guidance-- sort of like what Telliot did.

As for the question at hand, the differences are there, but as some of the other posts have pointed out, there are a lot of differences between the same model guitars. When people ask these kinds of questions I feel like they need to know where the person replying is coming from. What guitars have they played and really dug into?

My experience is with an AVRI Jazzmaster, a refin 66 Jazzmaster, and 3-4 refinished vintage Jaguars, an AVRI Jaguar, and a Fender Custom Shop Jaguar. My pearls of wisdom will be quite different than the guy who has 12 pristine vintage versions of each; the person that owns three Squiers with humbuckers; the person with Japanese or Mexican or AVRI reissues; or the lady that noodled on a Jazzmaster in a guitar shop for 20 minutes.

Guitars have different tones-- but which one do you personally like or prefer? It's pretty easy to notice that one man's sweet tone is another person's muddy mess. It's pretty easy to get a Jazzmaster and a Jaguar on a stage (or any guitars) at the same time and get their tones to complement each other. You just need to have someone with decent ears and willing participants.

There is not going to be an end-all be-all conclusion to these types of discussions, but hopefully people will play, read, and learn enough about themselves and their tastes and styles to figure out what works for them in their situation. I find that this generally takes a lot of time, and a fair amount of money.

BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BoringPostcards » Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:51 pm

Threads like this really make me wish we had a "like" option. I'd have to quote nearly everyone to show my appreciation for the full belly laughs I've been given.

OP is going to come back later and see all of this and probably go back over to TGP for more advice (he came here on advice from TGP) and he's going to end up buying one of them new fangled "Church Jazzmasters" with a hardtail/strat vibrato with meme-aham block, $600US humbuckers, meme wood body, neck and fretboard.
We're the internet's ambassadors of Fender offsets, let's be more diplomatic and understanding with n00bs.
Det er mig der holder traeerne sammen.

Fiddy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Fiddy » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:37 pm

andy_tchp wrote:
Excellent modding platforms. Add a matching headstock and the satin treatment to that combo of options. Way better value than an AVRI at 89% of the cost of one.

I want to buy one and do all those mods but im gonna keep the neck plate on mine because I want people to know im rocking a Squier. 8)

Dennism
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Dennism » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:42 pm

It was initially a Jaguar that I had always wanted, but as a second guitar to my main tool, my Custom Shop '60 strat. I was working on the cruise ship gig, where we played a wide variety of music. One of the Guest Entertainers on board had a AMRI Jaguar, and he loaned it to me to use for a set by the pool.
I played it through a Roland JC-120 amp, my usual pedal board, effects, etc.
I loved the feel, the funky tone, and the look. It really sounded good through the JC-120! I thought though, the only really usable tone option with the JG was the neck pickup, and the two pickups together, in say a surf or '50s or '60s sound. The Jaguar was really comfortable to play. In fact TOO comfortable, it was actually fun to play. However, I thought I would get so spoiled with that short scale, that I wouldn't want to go back to my "workhorse" strat.

And yet I wanted that jangly offset guitar sound, so I began to look at the Jazzmaster. after reading reviews, and watching YouTube videos (for comparison between versions) I settled on a brand new sight unseen Road Worn Jazzmaster because it had a more usable sound for the type of music I was playing - and still am on shore. The sound is a bit more beefy than a Jaguar, and that is really the main difference between the two axes, tone wise.
More beef, a little bit more roundness. I don't play surf, grunge, etc. Just a lot of pop stuff, and my Strats are still my main axes, but in a band setting where there is a lot of instruments happening on stage - keys, piano, drums, vocal, bass, etc. - and I have to cut though all that soup, the Jazzmaster really cuts through.
Jaguar: easier to play, so much that one can get spoiled by the shorter scale, and thinner sound.
Jazzmaster: okay, still easy to play because of it's comfortable body feel, but a bit more mellow, more driving, more "meat" to the overall timbre of the guitar.

Jaguar018
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jaguar018 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:21 am

BoringPostcards wrote:We're the internet's ambassadors of Fender offsets, let's be more diplomatic and understanding with n00bs.
No no no. We need to pooh pooh them even though we asked the same damn question when we first registered. We are not the offset ambassadors-- we are the offset hipsters! We figured everything out before it was cool.

OV7
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by OV7 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:34 am

I've got a Warmoth Jazzmaster with humbuckers and a Road Worn '60s Jaguar and they sound exactly alike through 4 dirt boxes, a delay, and a boost. The Jaguar is just smaller.

ToneFerDayz!!1!
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ToneFerDayz!!1! » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:50 am

OV7 wrote:I've got a Warmoth Jazzmaster with humbuckers and a Road Worn '60s Jaguar and they sound exactly alike through 4 dirt boxes, a delay, and a boost. The Jaguar is just smaller.
Technically, the neck is shorter on the Jag, but the body is also sliiiiiightly bigger. :P :-*

But even as a non-n00b, these kinds of threads can be helpful because a) the search function doesn't work super well and b) even as a non-n00b, you can still get something out of these. For example, I'm currently bringing my 62RI Jaguar back to stock, which means I need to buy new pickups for it. I was kind of hoping this thread would have had more examples in it because, even though I know what the differences are between a Jag and a Jazzy, I need to find clips/bands to send the pickup winder to give HIM an idea of what I want my Jaguar to sound like.

OV7
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by OV7 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:09 am

ToneFerDayz!!1! wrote:
OV7 wrote:I've got a Warmoth Jazzmaster with humbuckers and a Road Worn '60s Jaguar and they sound exactly alike through 4 dirt boxes, a delay, and a boost. The Jaguar is just smaller.
Technically, the neck is shorter on the Jag, but the body is also sliiiiiightly bigger.

But even as a non-n00b, these kinds of threads can be helpful because a) the search function doesn't work super well and b) even as a non-n00b, you can still get something out of these. For example, I'm currently bringing my 62RI Jaguar back to stock, which means I need to buy new pickups for it. I was kind of hoping this thread would have had more examples in it because, even though I know what the differences are between a Jag and a Jazzy, I need to find clips/bands to send the pickup winder to give HIM an idea of what I want my Jaguar to sound like.
Yeah, to me the sound differences are hard to put in to words. I have always thought that the Jaguar sounds a little sharper and twangier.

Jaguar018
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jaguar018 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:13 am

ToneFerDayz!!1! wrote:I need to find clips/bands to send the pickup winder to give HIM an idea of what I want my Jaguar to sound like.
What do you want it to sound like? I feel like the scale is going to take care of the major part of the sound, so the question becomes: do you want the pickups bright or mellow? I suppose you already know that there are some interesting threads about the pole heights depending on the years, and this was true for all models of Fender. Early on, some were raised up, then they were all flat, then they were different again. but that generally stopped by the mid 60s. If I recall, there are a few OSG vets who prefer the 62 and 63 pickups. I came across a really special pickup in a 64? But they all sound pretty good to me.

OV7 wrote:They sound exactly alike through 4 dirt boxes, a delay, and a boost.
With six pedals going at the same time I don't think I would notice the difference with any guitars except maybe humbuckers vs. single coils. :jacked:

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:48 am

Off topic, but if any of you use Gearslutz, they have a function whereupon you start a new thread and it looks for keywords in the title and shows you things that correspond with what it finds there. So it you typed in the title of this thread, you would see a list of some other recent threads that have the words "Jazzmaster" "Jaguar" and "tone" in there.

Here's what I got when I typed in "Logic Pro Sound":

Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.